Class A RV-Diesel vs Gas when towing an enclosed trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crawdad McBad

Hello,

My wife is about to become a travel nurse and I am going to be driving the RV and moving us from place to place.  We will be living full time in the motorhome and will be towing an enclosed trailer (about 20'-24').  I have driven large vehicles and towed trailers for 6 years and we have decided on 35'+ as the length we want in a motorhome.

The questions are;
1) Gas vs. Diesel
2) Single vs. Double Axle
3) HP needs

We will be towing a Honda civic in the trailer along with some storage and kayaks. 

Thanks in advance for the help.

If you're towing a Civic in a trailer, it's likely that your tow weight will exceed 5,000 lbs, so a class A diesel is likely to be your best bet, since few gas rigs are rated for more than 5,000. When you say "single vs. double axle" I presume you are meaning one or two axles in the rear. Generally that'll be dictated by weight considerations, and it's rare (though not unheard of) to find the second axle on rigs shorter than about 40 feet long, or so. And incidentally, that second rear axle (the "tag" axle, 'cause it just tags along) isn't a drive axle, just additional support for higher weights.

As to horsepower, most rigs today have adequate power for their weight and tow rating. Around 10 HP per thousand pounds is often considered adequate, recognizing that you're not gonna get zero to 60 in 6 seconds.  :D

I would suggest that floor plan and condition (if buying used) are two very important factors to consider, much more so than brand. Another factor, since you're going to full time, is to consider that an Aqua Hot, or equivalent hydronic heating system, is very desirable.

A few things to consider - even though you didn't ask - and may or may not have thought about, yet.

My MH is about 40ft and with my enclosed trailer is about 65ft over all in length.
It does take some research to find campgrounds or RV parks with spots long enough to take that kind of length.
It's doable but you can't just drop in anywhere.  On the other side of the coin, is with a diesel you will fuel with the trucks most
often and their straight pull throughs are much easier to use vs. a gas unit usually having to fuel with the cars.

If you are really going to full time in a MH I would suggest closer to the 39 - 40ft mark with at least 2 or 3 slides,  JMO.
A tag axle is most common after 42ft is reached - 6 tires on my unit are enough for me.

When I was looking for a MH one requirement was I wanted at least a 330hp diesel unit because I knew I would be
going up mountains while trailering at some point.

Floorplan is usually considered one of - if not the most important things after the overall condition is deemed acceptable.
Just for instance I personally didn't want a television mounted over the front seats.  To me that would mean looking up to watch TV.
Being able to walk around the bed and having nightstands was also important to me.  To others they might care less.  Point is find
something that you both can live with and it will me a much more enjoyable experience.

Good luck in finding the unit that will serve you well.
Please report back with pictures if possible as others may be in the same boat as you - someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom