invisibrake vs. brakeBuddy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malibu06

Hi all,

Looking at getting a Jeep Patriot to tow behind our 24' Class C Minnie Winnie.

I'm just learning about flat towing.  As far as equipment needs I'm seeing
- in Jeep braking system
- tow bar and mounting hardware on front of jeep
- electrical

Anything else I'm missing?

I came across both BrakeBuddy an Invisibrake on the motorhome.com dinghy towing guide.
Anyone have experience with either?

The nice looking feature of Invisbrake is that you don't have to take it in and out of the vehicle...

If you are looking at a Patriot, make sure it is manual transmission.  Automatic transmission ones are not for flat towing.  I learned this recently looking at base plates for a Patriot on etrailer.com.  Blue Ox doesn't build a base plate except for manual transmissions.  Automatic needs to be towed on a dolly,

About a year ago I bought a used brake buddy on Craigslist for $280. Came with everything but the break away cable. Easy to hook-up and remove. Very happy with it and I'm legal.

I understand Brake Buddy makes an "installed" system now in addition to the box in the driver's seat pedal pusher.. My comments do not apply to it.

Invisi-brake is installed, Once it is installed you basically "Forget about it".  Hooking it up for towing is as easy as plugging in the tow light connector, There is NO tempetation to say "Oh I;m only going a short distance.. Forget it" as there is with a system you need to install EVERY TIME YOU TOW..
In addition when you unhook and drive the jeep there is nothing to take out and store. There is noting to leave lying on the ground where some  legs can be grown and it can walk off.  It is "invisible" to the vehicle driver.

However.. if you have a "Stable" of cars you tow.. Well the Box in the driver's seat can be movd from car to car easilly. where as an "Installed" system can not.

But, every install is a chance to screw it up.. as the dealer did my brake system (1st one) and thus a Once and forget it system is my personal choice.

Considering that you are starting fresh, you may also want to consider this:

http://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/ReadyBrute%E2%84%A2_Elite_RV_Tow_Bar.html

There are a few folks here using this and like it.

kdbgoat said:
http://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/ReadyBrute%E2%84%A2_Elite_RV_Tow_Bar.html

There are a few folks here using this and like it.

Thanks all for the posts.

This ^^^ readybreak^^^  does look really interesting - just the bar and the wire mechanism to pull on the brake it seems... very simple and clean..

I just bought a Ready Brute Elite tow bar that includes the Ready Brake cable system.  I installed the Ready Brake myself, and it's a very simple system that looks to be reliable.  And it's built in, so no box to install and remove all the time.  It's also way cheaper than the other built in brake system I found.

Had a invisibrake installed in my tow  vehicle .Just connect cables,power plug,breakaway switch,and your good to go.There's a light in MH that shows when breaks are being applied ..Nothing else to do.

Back
Top Bottom