Winnebago journey loose body bolts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wclogger1

I have a 2005 Journey 36G that has loose body to frame bolts. Has anyone had this problem? And if so how did you access the bolt heads to to hold them. I can access the nuts no problem but haven't found how to get to the heads.
I asked Winnebago and they sent me drawings of the body mount but no tips on how to get to the heads.
Tks, Bob

I have searched but no luck. I can see where others have broken welds on the brackets but not just loose. If I get stuck I think I can hold the threaded ends with vise grips but I would rather do it correctly if I can.

wclogger1 said:
I have searched but no luck. I can see where others have broken welds on the brackets but not just loose. If I get stuck I think I can hold the threaded ends with vise grips but I would rather do it correctly if I can.

If you need to grab the end I would be inclined to try one of the following instead of vise grips (which would mangle the threads):
  • If the bolt is long enough, use two additional nuts tightened against each other on the end of the bolt
  • File a flat on two opposing sides of the bolt end, allowing use of a crescent wrench on the end without destroying the threads

When I had this problem, Winnebago suggested spot welding another nut below the loose one and using 2 wrenches to tighten the loose one.  My cousin thought using an pneumatic impact wrench may tighten it.  Well I was lucky and the impact wrench worked and I put another nut behind it to make sure it didn?t happen again. 

Thanks for suggestions and the link from wincom6. I had searched but did not try carriage bolts. I have found "1/2 nuts" or "lock nuts" that are thinner so will try doubling those. And then possibly try tacking a nut or grinding flats. Thanks again for your help.
Bob

cbeierl said:
If you need to grab the end I would be inclined to try one of the following instead of vise grips (which would mangle the threads):
  • If the bolt is long enough, use two additional nuts tightened against each other on the end of the bolt
  • File a flat on two opposing sides of the bolt end, allowing use of a crescent wrench on the end without destroying the threads

Having seen the other posts I think I would give the impact wrench a try before either of these.

Back
Top Bottom