Water heater doesn't seem to function on electric side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matchpik

My parents have a 1999 Prowler LSI M-34-5L, and cannot figure out how to make the water heater work on electric.  There are two switches, next to the kitchen sink labeled "Water Heater".  One of the switches looks original, and has a light, and is the one they say has been making the water heater work on LPG.  The other switch looks like one of those fat light switches you find in homes, and they're assuming this is for the electric side, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Could there be a fuse or breaker somewhere which they're not aware of?  Or perhaps, they are mistaken in believing it can run soley on electric?

Matthew

You'll get a more informed answer if you can provide the make and model of the water heater - but here's something they might try.

On mine, in addition to the inside switch for the electric power, there's a small rocker switch on the water heater itself.  I believe that's there to help people avoid accidentally turning it on when there's no water in the tank.

On the outside of the trailer find the panel that covers access to the water heater and open it. Look for a small rocker switch. On mine it's to the left of the drain plug, kind of hidden behind a pipe. If they find it, they'll want to be sure there's water in the hot water tank before turning it on or they'll burn out the element.

What Blevins said, and also the 120v circuit breaker for the heater.

If neither of them solves the problem, it's possible that the heater element has burned out or a wire is loose. The element is easy enough to test and repalce, but hard to get at to do so. It's on the back (inside), so needs an access from the inside of the RV.

Old Blevins said:
If they find it, they'll want to be sure there's water in the hot water tank before turning it on or they'll burn out the element.

Which may have already happened but they are not hard to change out.
It should also have a circuit breaker. Turn it off then back on to make sure in has reset. Like Jim said, make sure there is water in the tank.

Thank you for the prompt replies.  They know the breaker it is on, works because it has tripped due to other appliances overloading the circuit.  So the next step will be to look for that potential, secondary rocker switch Old Bevins mentioned.  Beyond that, it could be as Gary mentioned, a burned out element.  Paps is going to begin investigating, today and see what he can find.

Thank you, all!

Matthew

What brand and model number is your water heater? It's either going to be a Atwood or a Suburban.  Need the model number too

Sounds as if they are blowing the 30A breaker. There shouldn't be other appliances on the circuit with the WH. Check for an individual WH breaker.

Ernie

Mine went kaput when the little rocker on the outside quit on me. Replaced that switch and all was good. Easy fix for little money.

Old Blevins said:
True dat.  My guess is they found the switch, turned it on, and then didn't need us anymore.

I feel so used.  ::)
lmao ^^^^^. welllllll...at least you know you put a good effort towards them huh ?..lol. I've got to replace my heating element in my atwood, calls for a 1400w, just 4 bolts, unscrew the wires, no problem. will be putting a new one in Friday. MAKE SURE YOU DRAIN THE WATER BEFORE YOU PULL THE OLD OUT !..LOL. ( nooooooooo..I did not pull mine before draining it !..lol ). oh, and yes, they have a rocker switch right there on the back/inside of the heater, make sure it's off if your not hooked to city water ?, or no water in tank !..lol. I did not know mine was electric and propane ?, thought it was just propane ?, stupid me had noooooo idea the switch was put to '' ON '' ?!!..there went the element..live and learn !..lol.

So, if you don't have city water connected or the DC pump on, you should put the switch at the water heater to off? I have the switch for water heater in off position inside my camper while parked in my yard. I need both of them off?

PatrickandLisa said:
So, if you don't have city water connected or the DC pump on, you should put the switch at the water heater to off? I have the switch for water heater in off position inside my camper while parked in my yard. I need both of them off?

So long as the water heater is full of water, it won't care if you're hooked up to city water or not.

Generally, the switch indie the camper controls the propane burner function of the water heater and the switch on the water heater itself controls the electric heating element. 

If I'm hooked up to shore power and need hot water, I run the heater on electricity. If I'm boondocking, I run on propane.

No but.... You have to be consistent to avoid errors of the sort where one partner does turn turn the outside switch off and the other does not. See my last sentence below.

(My belt and braces theory!!)

I think if you are not hooked up to city water, you should have both propane and electric switches inside off unless you need hot water. Why?? Simply, if you should use water, your water tank supply could dwindle down without you realizing it and having the heater on (especially the electric side), you could go to use it and find the electric side has been blown due to a lack of water in the hot water tank (not enough supply to keep it adequately filled).

Generally, the switch indie the camper controls the propane burner function of the water heater and the switch on the water heater itself controls the electric heating element.

Often true but... many have a second switch for the electric side inside the camper like mine does. We never turn off the switch outside on our Suburban tank.

On edit, my theory was blown by Ren? in his note below....

Alfa38User said:
(My belt and braces theory!!)

if you should use water, you water tank supply could dwindle down without you realizing it and having the heater on (especially the electric side), you could go to use it and find the electric side has been blown due to a lack of water in the hot water tank (not enough supply to keep it adequately filled).

Often true but... many have a second switch for the electric side inside the camper like mine does. We never turn off the switch outside on our Suburban tank.

I have to sort of disagree with that first statement you made Stu. If you're on the pump and you run out of fresh water, the water heater tank should remain full along with all the lines in the RV. The flow of water will just stop.  The pump will not pump air so air it can't replace all the water in the lines. The check valve in the pump should stop any water from going back to the fresh water tank.

I also have 2 switches inside my RV.

Good point Ren?. You can see that I never use a pump (trailer is parked) so your point is well taken.

My original trailer (tent trailer) had NO facilities or hookups so I have to plead ignorant in this case.

Ok. Thank you everyone. I think to be on the conservative side, I will take outside switch to off when not using my camper. Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I'd leave the outside switch on if you have an on/off switch inside the RV.  The reason it's there is to provide a positive cut-off that's right there and visible when you're working on the water heater.

There's no reason to turn the outside switch off unless you're monkeying around with the wires or will be draining the hot water tank

I'm really sorry, everyone!  I was just at Papas place, yesterday and he said he just hasn't gotten around to opening things up and checking for the toggle switch.  We work together in automotive restoration, and Papa is feeling his age, these days so he isn't as gung-ho as he used to be about things.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Matthew

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom