Factory Registering.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shayne

Years ago when I purchased or Pace Arrow, I called Fleetwood and asked for info on the unit and the desk lady asked for the FL vin #.  I luckily had it handy and gave it to her.  This has happened to me before.  Once she looked the number up, everything of matter, was in front of her on the computer.  When something is ordered from a dealer with the correct numbers, you generally get the right part.  So my suggestion to all the individuals purchasing used units, please contact the manufacturer of your unit and register it with them.  It may save a lot of headaches later on.  JMHO.

Shayne,

The VIN number is not always the final word on getting parts. A few years ago I had the speed control cable from the control module to the throttle body break on my Ford chassis. I went to a Ford dealer with my VIN number and ordered a new cable. When it came in, it obviously was not the right part. Since my motor home is a 1993 on 1992 chassis, the Ford garage order a part for the 1993 model, even though it was not what the VIN number showed as the part number. When that cable came in, it again was not the right part. After conferring with two of the mechanics in the shop, they felt it probably was a 1991 part, so they ordered a cable for the 1991 model. That was the correct cable. Go figure! I have a 1993 motor home built on a 1992 chassis with at least some 1991 parts in it.

I had a similar problem when purchasing a replacement fuel filter. That was easily resolved since I was able to take the old filter in and the parts guy matched it to one in stock. The speed control cable was not a stock item, so they could not compare it to an item on the shelf.

So use your VIN number but carefully check the part that you receive to be certain it is correct.

Richard

I mentioned the Fl for Fleetwood Vin #  not the Ford #  Sorry if I misled you you.  But it states Fl #  I had  a 93 of another brand vehicle that had an 89 model part on it.  That's why I stated to contact the manufacturer, especially if it's Fl for Fleetwood.

Shayne said:
I mentioned the Fl for Fleetwood Vin #  not the Ford #  Sorry if I misled you you. 

I didn't know that Fleetwood called their coach identifying numbers VIN numbers. I thought that VIN number referred to the Vehicle Identification Number, not serial number or model number which would apply to the coach not the chassis. In any case, I think the same principle applies to any "identifying" number.

Richard

The VIN number is assigned by the chassis manufacturer and the coach builder assigns a serial (not a VIN) number.  There will also be an engine serial number and possibly a transmission serial number.  All of these numbers are important to keep available when looking for replacement parts.

I didn't know that Fleetwood called their coach identifying numbers VIN numbers.

They don't - it is called a FIN - Fleetwood Identification Number - and is separate from the chassis VIN. Everything in the Fleetwood database, including the chassis VIN, is tied to the FIN.  If you don't have the FIN, Fleetwood can't (or won't) tell you much of anything.

Gary is right on!.  With Fleetwood, everything can be provided from the FIN (including the VIN).

Sorry I misphased it   But that is what I did with Fleetwood.  And it works very well.

Back
Top Bottom