2005 Pace Arrow Transmission failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Looked at a low mileage coach yesterday.  It was in excellent condition with only 32,000 miles.  The concern is the Ultra Power engine performance product that was added by the original owner.  Allison transmission failed one year ago.  Not sure if performance pac caused failure.  We pull a Jeep wrangler and the coach will likely be close to or over GCVW of 26,000 when we travel.

We'd like to buy the coach but are concerned about future transmission problems.  Current owner didn't seem concerned and is only selling because his wife past a few months ago.  Coach looks like new except for minor clear coat peeling on front and rear. 

Another concern is a whining noise I hear when driving.  This has occurred in each of the 3 Workhorse W22 chassis we've looked at.  Sounds like power steering unit needs fluid but noise is constant.  Is this normal?

The whine is the transmission. From what I've read that's a trait of the Allison. From the little that I've driven my Dolphin, I really like the 8.1 and the Allison. My Dolphin is much quieter than my Damons were going down the road. The extra 50 horses make a big difference too, even thought the Dolphin is a much heavier coach. 

My W22 with 6 speed Allison also has a sort of "power steering" noise but with fluid levels normal, I have been advised not to worry about it. Audible only when starting and driving off. Not heard at cruising speed. The Workhorse 8.1 with the Allison is a great performance package. Perhaps the best available and very reliable. The Allison will often have a bit of a harmonic growl in 4th which is normal.

If the tranny failed, as some do, but has been reliably replaced and/or repaired and everything else is great then I would go for the unit if it meets your needs.

You know Gary... Cyndi and I shopped for our current motorhome for almost five years. I'm beginning to think that you and Maria are going to put us to shame. :D

Kev

lol.  Kevin, we've been looking for more than 5 years.  But, we bought a starter motorhome 3 years ago.  Not perfect but it always starts and goes.  The next may not be perfect either but hopefully it will be our last.  I'll be 74 in a few months and am tired of looking and ready start enjoying. 

92GA said:
The whine is the transmission. From what I've read that's a trait of the Allison. From the little that I've driven my Dolphin, I really like the 8.1 and the Allison. My Dolphin is much quieter than my Damons were going down the road. The extra 50 horses make a big difference too, even thought the Dolphin is a much heavier coach.

Thanks for the reply.  Talked to Redlands Truck this AM.  They confirmed it's an Allison trait.  Not a problem.  Looked at the CAR FAX and saw that the prior owner replaced a transmission seal early on in the ownership.  Thinking maybe it had something to do with the failure. 

Bill and Debbie said:
My W22 with 6 speed Allison also has a sort of "power steering" noise but with fluid levels normal, I have been advised not to worry about it. Audible only when starting and driving off. Not heard at cruising speed. The Workhorse 8.1 with the Allison is a great performance package. Perhaps the best available and very reliable. The Allison will often have a bit of a harmonic growl in 4th which is normal.

If the tranny failed, as some do, but has been reliably replaced and/or repaired and everything else is great then I would go for the unit if it meets your needs.

Thanks for the reply.  If I recall, the noise wasn't noticeable at highway speed. 

I think mine goes away after the shift to 3 gear, but I haven't really driven it much. 250 miles home then to town to get the new tires, then to get the propane tank filled.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom