Structural members show through fiberglass exterior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyer1000

I am looking at a 2004 Motorhome and when I look at the side out at an extreme angle I can see the framing of the structure. It is as if
the vertical structural members have imprinted themselves on the fiberglass. Or, the fiberglass has shrunk and you can see the structure though
it. The paint is in very good shape. Not sure if it has been repainted. I noticed this on the slide out but, I will have to inspect the rest of the unit
in the sun. I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this and what could be causing this to happen. Thanks for your assistance..

What youe seeing unless it is extreme is perfectly normal.  The walls are either vacubonded or pressure glued.  Both of which can leave faint marks.  The wall studs can be very noticable when it is humid outside and warm inside.

Donn,
Thank you very much for your input.. I will do my diligence and check for moisture inside,but not
worry about the outside appearance ...
Thanks

This is a common condition called "telegraphing",,usually where the surface is painted a dark color.. My coach shows it on one side more than the other because the previous owner parked it one way to the sun continuously.  During my ownership it has been parked in a garage and the condition has not worsened.>>>Dan

Yep... You can look at the right side of our coach and see where our microwave oven is installed due to "telegraphing" (although I didn't know that's what it was called until now.) We bought the coach when it was 1 & 1/2 years old - it was like that then and hasn't worsened at all.

Kev

Gentlemen,
Thank you all for your input...Being new to this life style it is great to have a place
to get answers and guidance ....  Good luck to you all and travel safe..

Delam would show as a bubble or bubbles.  That can be an issue.

Telegraphing is a new term to me too but I do have it.  We park in an enclosed garage but with a dirt floor, so on a cold morning frost builds on the sides and shows the entire frame :)  It looks like a skeleton in there.  Not sure what the term is for that, but someday I'll take some measurements and make a Revit model of the frame so I know where it is :)

My coach is a 2007 model that I bought 5 years ago. I noticed the same thing the first year I had it and spent way too much time worrying about it. 5 years later it looks exactly the same, and like you mentioned it is only noticed when I view it from and angle in certain light.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom