EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Pileated Woodpecker  (Read 875 times)

Peteyboy

• ---
Pileated Woodpecker
« on: April 21, 2017, 07:24:39 AM »
We have an old dead stump in the back yard and for the second year, we had a Pileated Woodpecker banging away at it. Boy, the debris really flies when they are at work after those ants.  What made this year different was that there were a total of 3 of these amazing birds in the area at the same time.  Two were just hanging out on a nearby tree, while the biggest one,,, I assume the male,,, attacked the stump with much enthusiasm.  VERY interesting to watch.
Pete & Sandy
2015 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
11 CRV

BruceinFL

• ---
Re: Pileated Woodpecker
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 05:49:11 PM »
That's great. I remember years ago when they were all over the place. Now it's pretty rare to spot one
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 07:31:37 PM »
We were fortunate to see just one Pileated Woodpecker when we were camp hosting at Heyburn State Park in Idaho.  Amazing sight!  Looked just like Woody Woodpecker, but better because it had nature's coloring at its best.

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:11:26 PM »
Woodpeckers are cute until they start working on your house. Peg's son is always patching holes in the cedar siding on their place in Flagstaff.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
Even the smaller woodpeckers wreak havoc on houses.  When we lived in Redding, CA we were constantly battling Downy Woodpeckers who would bury their acorn stash under the shingles which capped the roof line on our second story.  Popping acorns loose is like trying to avoid ball bearings while maintaining balance high in the air walking across a roof.

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 02:28:03 PM »
My husband, and I live in a very rural area, and walk everyday on a road with woods on both side. You can hear, and see both the big pileated woodpeckers, and the small woodpeckers.
I enjoy seeing, and hearing them, and I will continue to unless they start messing with my house. :D
D & D
2015 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 02:37:34 PM »
Are you sure it isn't an Ivory Billed Woodpecker?
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »
Are you sure it isn't an Ivory Billed Woodpecker?

If it is, I hope they get some GOOD pictures of it!
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

martin2340

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 03:43:44 PM »
Many yellow bellied woodpeckers at my suet feeders everyday here in SE PA. Also the smaller white and black ones. Eastern Bluebirds have nested in my birdhouse on the deck, 4 eggs.
Joe & Mari from Sanatoga PA
2010 F-150 Lariat 4X4 Heavy Duty Tow package(gone 7-17)
2017 F-250 Lariat 4X4 6.7 turbo diesel
2014 Sunset Trail 32rl
2002 Pearl White Road King Classic
Homebase: SE PA Sanatoga I can see the Limerick Power Plant from here

Peteyboy

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 07:08:38 PM »
Positively a Pileated Woodpecker,,,, just looked at a picture of the Ivory Billed one and it would not be easy to mix those two up.
Pete & Sandy
11 CRV

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 07:15:08 PM »
Positively a Pileated Woodpecker,,,, just looked at a picture of the Ivory Billed one and it would not be easy to mix those two up.
That was a joke Pete, the IBW is extinct. If it was an IBW you would be rich.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
2016 photos:
My portfolio:

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 07:15:57 PM »
We had several pileated woodpeckers (Woody) where we used to live.  I just loved to watch them swooping through the woods.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Peteyboy

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 07:31:31 AM »
Got it Tom,,,, a little slow here.  Like to have you here to take their pictures though.
Pete & Sandy
11 CRV

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 07:44:40 AM »
The Ivory Bill may not be extinct:

http://www.audubon.org/news/possible-ivory-billed-woodpecker-footage-breathes-life-extinction-debate

That's why I said get GOOD pics. I would be nice if they aren't extinct and livin' the good life where they won't be bothered.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

RVfixer

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 08:03:10 AM »
We have pileated woodpeckers that frequent our backyard and we do enjoy watching them.    When I took some large trees out of our yard a few years ago the tree cutters couldn't believe that I wanted to keep one not too large dead tree.  When the woodpeckers come, that is the tree that they go to.  That tree looks like it has been machine-gunned!! This year we have a nest of Cooper hawks in the top of a tree in our yard and haven't seen a pileated woodpecker yet.

We have been camping at Jekyll Island, Georogia in the winter for about 15+ years.  Years ago the pileated woodpeckers would come into the campground trees in very large numbers.  They had a habit of landing on vehicle side mirrors and pecking them until they broke.  I have seen two woodpeckers break mirrors and know of several more.  The campground warned campers on check-in and put a warning on the campground map/flyer.  Not so many pileated woodpeckers there anymore but the old timers still put bags on their side mirrors and some make custom covers.  Haven't heard of a mirror being broken in years but the warning is still on the campground map.

Every few years we camp at Stephen Forster State Park in the Okefenokee Swamp of Georgia in March.  There are loads of pileated woodpeckers there!  We camped there last March and there seemed more than ever!  Then the swallow tail kites showed up and put on some fantastic air shows as they picked insects out of the air.  Also, everywhere you looked was a red tailed hawk sitting on a limb watching for moving food! A great bird watching spot!

Peteyboy

• ---
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 08:06:50 AM »
I have noticed a Red Tailed hawk cruising the skies over the house lately,,, do they go after other birds, or just animals on the ground ?
Pete & Sandy
11 CRV

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 08:10:16 AM »
Yes, they will eat other birds. I have seen them take down a few pigeons here at work.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 08:12:51 AM »

Every few years we camp at Stephen Forster State Park in the Okefenokee Swamp of Georgia in March.  There are loads of pileated woodpeckers there!  We camped there last March and there seemed more than ever!  Then the swallow tail kites showed up and put on some fantastic air shows as they picked insects out of the air.  Also, everywhere you looked was a red tailed hawk sitting on a limb watching for moving food! A great bird watching spot!

Stephen Foster SP is one of my favorites. I have a tall bald cypress tree that the pileated WP have put half a dozen large holes in and a nest of Hawks with 2 young in an oak tree the back yard. A pair of Mallards come by often for feed and we have 6 deer and an otter that we see weekly. All this in our back yard.

If you see happen to see a woodpecker the size of a large Muscovy duck, (black and white with red on top) DO NOT tell anyone. They would not believe it anyway. That would be comparable to saying you saw a UFO ...or worse.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 08:14:51 AM »
We have them here where we live (the Ocala National Forest in Fl). The pine and oak forest is a happy hunting ground for them. The common woodpeckers do a  quick rata-tata-tat, while the big Pileated go Thud. Thud. Thud. Like a guy with a hammer knocking on the tree.

Lots of red tail hawks and ospreys too, and the occasional bald eagle. Sand Hill Cranes are common as well.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 08:19:46 AM »
I have noticed a Red Tailed hawk cruising the skies over the house lately,,, do they go after other birds, or just animals on the ground ?

Our pair of Hawks have run off the snail kites and swallow tailed kites and even saw them take on an Eagle that flew too close to their nest. The vultures keep them busy with their constant cruising the sky. We had a Barred Owl land on the ledge of our porch window last night, thinking it was after one of our abundant Cuban Tree Frogs.

The one thing we dont have here are the Sand Hill Cranes that Tom (Seilerbird) has. We are trying to make up for it with the Blue Herons that visit.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

JackL

• ---
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 08:33:19 AM »
Amazing !
 As I am reading your post, I have one 20 feet from me outside the picture window where I am typing this.
 For the past ten minutes it has been tearing apart an old dead Hemlock stump.
 it is getting carpenter ants.
 My wife is now taking a video of it

Small world !

Jack L

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 09:20:58 AM »
The Ivory Bill may not be extinct:

http://www.audubon.org/news/possible-ivory-billed-woodpecker-footage-breathes-life-extinction-debate

That's why I said get GOOD pics. I would be nice if they aren't extinct and livin' the good life where they won't be bothered.
Every year for the past 15 years someone pops up and claims to have seen an IBW but they never have a photo. However if someone does get a nice clear photo of one he will get rich traveling around the country speaking at bird gatherings and festivals.
Life list of birds:
2016 photos:
My portfolio:

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo w/ Ami the tiny co-pilot
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »

They will take either bird of mammal. Usually on the ground, though. I watched one catch a Robin outside my window the other day.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 09:26:14 AM »
While we are on the subject of birds, if you love birdwatching and have not seen The Big Year, I highly recommend the movie. Steve Martin, John Cleese and Jack Black.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1053810/?ref_=nv_sr_1

And if you love looking at photos of birds I have been compiling an album of bird species I have seen during my ten years of full timing. I currently have almost 270 different species that I have photographed. A link is in my signature.
Life list of birds:
2016 photos:
My portfolio:

Punomatic

• ---
    • Life in Black and Blue
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 12:29:44 PM »
Woodpeckers are cute until they start working on your house. Peg's son is always patching holes in the cedar siding on their place in Flagstaff.
X2. I had a house that they couldn't leave alone. It was new construction and I know there weren't any bugs in the walls. Someone in the area who knew woodpeckers thought maybe they were drumming for a mate. At any rate we had a war on our hands!!  :(
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier-gone to the rainbow bridge) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)

Fyrediver

• ---
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 09:43:30 PM »
I had a couple trees that I needed to cut down but I left them as 20' stumps.  My woodpeckers LOVE them!  They are really tearing them up!  Squirrels play on them as well but the woodpeckers and their ilk really like those stumps.  We're selling and full timing soon and they are the one's I'll miss mostly from the sticks house.   
1993 National Dolphin 32D

JackL

• ---
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 05:34:12 AM »
Where we live here in the mountains of NC, the old timers who have their own language call them "wood hens", and they  are very common, (both the "wood hens" and the old timers)

Jack L

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »
They are neat to watch but very annoying when on the house outside the bedroom window. We have a very persistent flicker, the dog thinks somebody is at the door and goes off at 5am. I expect it back in a few weeks when stink bug season starts.

Hosted by Over The Network