Campground near Savannah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob T

Anyone suggest a good campground near Savannah for a couple of nights.
Have 2 dogs and concerned about ticks and other vermin?
Looking for mid week, my better half would like to take run into Savannah as she has never been.
Thanks for any ideas.
Bob

Not a campground but....we overnighted at the Savannah Visitors Center in Feb. They have spots for rvs. No hookups but it is $10 per night, Sunday's are free if you leave before 9am Monday. I think I recall hearing you can stay for two nights. They have a couple of water spigots to fill jugs. An easy 10 min walk to the historic district. Some of the trolleys have a stop here if you don't feel like walking, just check their hours to make sure it fits your plans. It is adjacent to some college classroom buildings so there were patrols all night. About a dozen rigs there the night we stayed. We arrived around 9 on Sunday morning, there was plenty of parking. When we got back that night it was close to full. Very quiet, got a good nights sleep.
We had a blast walking around, did a couple of tours, ate some great food and hit the road the next morning. Our rv is 27' and we had plenty of room. The Visitors Center could give you length restrictions.

rvparkreview.com

I've been planning a trip to Savannah to go to the 8th Air Force Museum.  Every time I look I wind up deciding on Skidaway Island State Park.

Haven't been there but the reviews sound good.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/georgia/savannah/skidaway-island-state-park

You could make it a museum trifecta if you have time and interest.  Robins AFB south of Macon has an excellent air museum and Fort Benning has an excellent infantry museum.

Rivers End on Tybee Island is nice. Has a dog walk. Easy drive into Savannah. It is on the expensive side, from $44 up to $69 a night for water/electric sites, depending on the season. I have stayed there three times.

Skidaway Island Park is just south of Savannah. About 20~30 min drive into town. I'm going to try this one in June/July. Looks good both in the website photos and on Google Maps (satellite and street view)

I've thought about Red Gate Campground. West of town, it is basically a field that has been converted to campground with hookups.

Those are the only campgrounds near Savannah that I have checked out. I know there are a couple of KOAs and others around.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Not sure which we will do,( unfortunately cant do the visitors center because need power for a/c for dogs, one is an older boy, 16+ years)..
Will post park we go to and let you all know what its like.

Thanks again.
Bob

We have stayed at the Savannah South KOA but only as an overnight on our way to WDW.  On our next trip to WDW we are going to use Camp Lake Jasper which is just north of Savannah.  If you use a toad either one should be good.

We have stayed at both Skidaway State Park and Red Gate Farm.  Red Gate Farm is about 10 minutes into the city and Skidaway is about 20 minutes. 

I understand that Skidaway has some full hook up sites which they did not when we stayed there.  Other sites have water and electric.  The sites are very spacious, some trees which might make getting a satellite signal difficult if you need TV.  We stayed there in February of 2012.

Red Gate Farm is indeed a large field with full hook-ups but is extremely convenient to the city.  The rest of the property is very pretty and, if you enjoy horses, you can watch them in the paddocks.  They have a pool.  We paid $45.00 per night.  We stayed there in October of 2015.

I would not hesitate to stay at either one again.

We stayed at Savannah Oaks. We were with a group and the trolley picked us up at the campground. This was in 2010. I don't remember what we paid.

We stayed 4 nights at Skidaway in March. We were there specifically to see Savannah, not necessarily to enjoy the park, so we didn't spend much time there. It's a smaller park that has had lots of development encroaching around it, especially on the east side. There are some full hookup pull-throughs in the center loop but we went with a water/electric site on an a outside loop. The trolley tours offer a free shuttle from the park, but only on weekends. The showers were nice and clean, and there are a couple of short trails for a stroll after supper. Bring bug spray, the sand fleas are not your friends. Also book as soon as you can as it is apparently a very popular park.

Thanks to elkriverrats for the info on the Savannah information center.

We were there today (took the car in) but there is NO way we could/would be allowed to stay.
Great info and I thank you but the RV section in comprised of regular parking spaces (photos attached).

We stayed at Savannah Oaks, about 25 minutes drive. Nice enough, bit rustic but we dont mind rustic.

Just wanted to post couple of photos so folks know their options.

Best to all,

Bob

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom