Route from MD To Custer SD then Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaw111

We will be heading to Custer SD then yellowstone at the end of May,Looking for the best route

We traveled I-80. Be sure to stop/camp/spend time in the Badlands and see the Minuteman Missile Museum, launch facility and the missile site. Take some time in Custer State Park (drive the Wildlife Road I believe it is called) and drive the the scenic Iron Mountain Road leading to Mt. Rushmore (there are height restrictions - but beautiful tunnels and scenery).

viceprice said:
We traveled I-80. Be sure to stop/camp/spend time in the Badlands and see the Minuteman Missile Museum, launch facility and the missile site. Take some time in Custer State Park (drive the Wildlife Road I believe it is called) and drive the the scenic Iron Mountain Road leading to Mt. Rushmore (there are height restrictions - but beautiful tunnels and scenery).
Thanks for that plug for the Minuteman National Historic Site run by the National Park Service near Wall, SD.  The visitor center is at exit 131 on I-90.  As an aside, I was on the first Air Force Missile Combat Crew to accept the missile flight (control center and 10 missile sites) Delta 1 from the Boeing Company in early July 1963. This was the first active flight of missiles for Ellsworth AFB near Rapid City.  There were a total of 150 missile sites and 15 launch control centers northwest, north and east of the air force base.  It is a interesting way to see some Cold War history.  I spent 20 years in the Air Force and 19 of that was with the Minuteman missile force. Delta 1 and Delta 9 are the only inactive missile sites left.  All others were destroyed in accordance with a treaty with the Russians.
Bill

"The best route" depends on what you think is the "best".  Do you mean the easiest route to travel or do you mean the best route for taking in the sights?  We love the back roads, but we have a 24' Winnebago ERA which is not much different than driving a full-size van.  If you have a 40' DP with a toad, I seriously doubt you would/could travel some of the places we like.  Also, you don't say how much time you have.  So, if you would tell us a bit more about your RV and what you expect when you say "best route", I'm sure we can be much more specific.

If I was making a run from Maryland to Custer, SD, I'd head up toward Pittsburgh, and take I-70 across to Indianapolis, where I would change to I-74 and follow that to Davenport/Quad Cites area. From there across Iowa on I-80 to Omaha. From Omaha, I would run US-275 to where it meets US-20 near O'neill, NE.
I would then follow US-20 west to Chadron, or Crawford. US-385 from Chadron will take you right into Custer. It is a very nice drive.
Crawford, is home to Ft Robinson, once home base for Colonel Custer and the 7th Cavalry (If you're a history buff.) and highway 2 and 71 north out of Crawford will take you to Hot Springs, SD where you re-join US-385 to Custer.

After Custer, I would make my way down to Casper, WY, and follow US-26 west to Moran, WY and come into Yellowstone from the South entrance. But that's just me, because I love the view coming over the hill from Dubois.

Getting to Custer, there are a hug number of options, with not much to make any one better than any other. Just take whichever one seem the shortest. If time is a factor, stick to the interstates. I would use I80, I29, and I90.

From Custer to Cody (and then to Yellowstone), there three reasonably direct routes across the Bighorn Mountains. The easiest way across is U.S. 16. However, it is also the least scenic.

U.S. 14 is a lot more scenic. It will be steep going up, but not too bad going down the west side. If you choose that route, Stop at the visitor center at Shell Canyon. There is a very short walk to Shell Falls, that is well worth the few minutes it takes.

My favorite route is to go up the east side on U.S. 14, and then turn onto U.S. 14A at Burgess Junction. The views are wonderful. The descent, will be quite steep, but I routinely tow my 5th wheel that way, with no problem. if you are not comfortable with mountain driving, take one of the other routes.

If you use 14A, You can stop at Bighorn Canyon national Recreation Area, just east of Lovell. This is an under appreciated gem. The scenery is magnificent, and bighorn sheep and wild horses are almost always found right along the road.

Joel

Attachments

• 14a.jpg
    14a.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Bighorn Canyon NRA.jpg
    Bighorn Canyon NRA.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Sheep.jpg
    Sheep.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 7
Bill N said:
Thanks for that plug for the Minuteman National Historic Site run by the National Park Service near Wall, SD.  The visitor center is at exit 131 on I-90.  As an aside, I was on the first Air Force Missile Combat Crew to accept the missile flight (control center and 10 missile sites) Delta 1 from the Boeing Company in early July 1963. This was the first active flight of missiles for Ellsworth AFB near Rapid City.  There were a total of 150 missile sites and 15 launch control centers northwest, north and east of the air force base.  It is a interesting way to see some Cold War history.  I spent 20 years in the Air Force and 19 of that was with the Minuteman missile force. Delta 1 and Delta 9 are the only inactive missile sites left.  All others were destroyed in accordance with a treaty with the Russians.
Bill

Thank you for your service.  The "looking glass" correct? I was as impressed with the Minuteman Missle history as I was with anything else we visited and the major attraction for our trip was to see Mt. Rushmore - a bucket list item for me.

Again thank you for being such a vital part of the protection of our country and our freedoms.

I'm glad I spotted this post as we are going that way this year too. We will look for the museum, we loved the Atomic Test Museum in Vegas, very interesting with great photos.  :D  thanks!

Great Horned Owl said:
This is a little off topic, but for those who are interested, there is also a Minuteman Silo in the Everglades National park that has ranger led tours.

Joel
Joel, you really have me confused on the location of that Minuteman silo.  I pretty much came into the Minuteman weapon system when it was new but have never heard of anything in the Everglades.  Can you expand a bit.

Bill

Bill N said:
Joel, you really have me confused on the location of that Minuteman silo.  I pretty much came into the Minuteman weapon system when it was new but have never heard of anything in the Everglades.  Can you expand a bit.

Bill

I think I was mistaken. The one in the Everglades that I was thinking of is a Nike site. Sorry about that.

Joel

Molaker said:
"The best route" depends on what you think is the "best".  Do you mean the easiest route to travel or do you mean the best route for taking in the sights?  We love the back roads, but we have a 24' Winnebago ERA which is not much different than driving a full-size van.  If you have a 40' DP with a toad, I seriously doubt you would/could travel some of the places we like.  Also, you don't say how much time you have.  So, if you would tell us a bit more about your RV and what you expect when you say "best route", I'm sure we can be much more specific.

i will be towing a 40' fifth wheel,and plan on going for 8-10 weeks,never been out west so looking for suggestions

LarsMac said:
If I was making a run from Maryland to Custer, SD, I'd head up toward Pittsburgh, and take I-70 across to Indianapolis, where I would change to I-74 and follow that to Davenport/Quad Cites area. From there across Iowa on I-80 to Omaha. From Omaha, I would run US-275 to where it meets US-20 near O'neill, NE.
I would then follow US-20 west to Chadron, or Crawford. US-385 from Chadron will take you right into Custer. It is a very nice drive.
Crawford, is home to Ft Robinson, once home base for Colonel Custer and the 7th Cavalry (If you're a history buff.) and highway 2 and 71 north out of Crawford will take you to Hot Springs, SD where you re-join US-385 to Custer.

After Custer, I would make my way down to Casper, WY, and follow US-26 west to Moran, WY and come into Yellowstone from the South entrance. But that's just me, because I love the view coming over the hill from Dubois.

How would that route be towing a 40' fifth wheel

jaw111 said:
LarsMac said:

How would that route be towing a 40' fifth wheel

Some of it is two-lane highway. good road. no real challenging areas. 71 narrows a bit, and getting through Hot Springs could be a little bit of a challenge for the newbie.
I've run it in an 18 Wheeler. 

After Yellowstone,  you may want to go north on US-89 up the Yellowstone valley to I-90 in Livingston, MT and head East. Again, if you're into History, the Custer Battlefield is just off I-90 at Crow Agency, MT. After that, follow I-90 East to The Devil's Tower.  Then follow I-90 back East.

I've been playing around with this website: https://roadtrippers.com/
It looks like it can be very useful for trip planning, once you have a basic route figured out.

LarsMac can you let me know how you find road trippers if you don't mind. I've just had a quick look and it seems useful but the screen keeps uploading and takes a few minutes to update which I will find very frustrating, interested to see if you have the same problem. Thanks.

jackiemac said:
LarsMac can you let me know how you find road trippers if you don't mind. I've just had a quick look and it seems useful but the screen keeps uploading and takes a few minutes to update which I will find very frustrating, interested to see if you have the same problem. Thanks.

I am not seeing a problem on my side, though I have a pretty fast connection. It is a very busy website, it seems, so a slow connection or a problem in the routing could be causing you some trouble.

LarsMac said:
I am not seeing a problem on my side, though I have a pretty fast connection. It is a very busy website, it seems, so a slow connection or a problem in the routing could be causing you some trouble.
Thanks very much, I'll stick with it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom