Splendide washer/dryer on 30 amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
clockdrfla said:
Can you operate a Splendite combo washer/dryer on 30 amp service?

Yup.  Looks like they draw 15 Amps or it only needs 15 Amps circuit to operate.

http://www.splendide.com/compare_specs.htm

clockdrfla said:
Can you operate a Splendite combo washer/dryer on 30 amp service?

clockdrfla
You can .. but you can't run much else when the Splendide is running.
You must carefully monitor/manage your 120VAC usage ... (aka: use no high amp drawing 120VAC appliances... electric space heater, hair dryer, microwave, toaster, etc).... while the Splendide is operating.

mel s said:
You can .. but you can't run much else when the Splendide is running.

With all due respect this advice is excessively cautious.  First of all the Splendide only draws a significant current when it is in its drying cycle; during the wash cycle it's just an electric motor drawing a couple of amps.

Even when it's in its drying cycle it's drawing no more than 15A and that will vary as the heating element turns on and off.  if you're on a 30A connection that means you have 15 amps available for other things which could include another large item such as an A/C or a microwave.  My wife understands that on a 30 site she can run 2 "big ticket" items.  There's no reason to act as if you can only operate one.

Figuring out what you can run while on a 30A site isn't rocket science.  Just take the wattage ratings on your appliances and divide by 120. That will give you the current draw for each device.  Don't exceed 30A in total current draw including lights, TVs, appliances, etc.

docj is correct, but most people don't monitor the changes in the amps closely enough to reliably stay within the 30A max. Plus they often have other thermostat controlled appliances powered on, e.g. fridge & water heater in 120v mode, or even an a/c running. They start a load of wash & dry, and 20 minutes later the dryer cycle starts shortly after the water heater kicked in and Bingo, the breaker trips.

Just curious.

The previous owner's wife told me she washed everything in cold water.  Is that what you all do?

If only cold water was needed and I was on 30amps wouldn't it be wise to turn off the hot water heater while doing a load of wash?

If a load only takes about an hour (according to PO wife) then the water might still be warm in the tank.
Trick would be to remember to turn it back on after the dryer stopped - but a note on the dryer might help to remember
to flip the switch back on?

If you have a water heater that only runs on electric that could be a problem. But most tank water heaters are gas also, so turning off the electric element would allow a hot water wash with no issues. The DW washes often, and we regularly were able to run the combo unit on only 30 amp.  With the newer rig and a stack-able unit if power was an issue just running one at a time eliminated the excess power draw. 

If only cold water was needed and I was on 30amps wouldn't it be wise to turn off the hot water heater while doing a load of wash?

Why? Neither the washer nor the water heater draw much current.

We do use cold water in the machine.

Turning off the water heater or not won't make any difference to the washing machine as the wash temperature is determined by your settings on the dial. If you choose to wash in cold, no hot water will be drawn into the machine. We do use cold water in the machine. (We seldom use the dryer cycle either as the spin cycle is really effective on the Splendide 2000 and hanging out in the sun works well.)

These front loaders require an "HD"  "HE" detergent.

If you wish to turn off the water heater, go ahead, but personally, we don't. It is on 24-7 when plugged in (50 amp trailer), one less thing to remember!!!

RedandSilver said:
Just curious.
The previous owner's wife told me she washed everything in cold water.  Is that what you all do?

RedandSilver
We always do either a hot water wash or a warm water wash in our Splendide, (never cold).
When using the Splendide in a campsite with 30A service we run the water heater on propane and are careful not to use any other "high amp draw" 120VAC appliances.

My coach is a 30amp coach.  The Splendid is already on a switch which selects either the washer or the microwave. 
I've discovered that I can run the rear a/c unit while the dryer runs, but not the front a/c.  I've also got a space heater that I can't run while the dryer runs, but that shouldn't be an issue for us until next Oct.

Alfa38User said:
These front loaders require an "HD" detergent. (I think that is the term!).

High Definition??  :eek: ::) ;)
My DW does wash every couple of days and never ever do we turn things off even with the AC on.

Alfa38User said:
Why? Neither the washer nor the water heater draw much current.

Actually, the water heater draws quite a bit of current (~1400-1600 watts) but if you have the Splendide set for Cold Water and no one is taking a shower or washing dishes then the tank probably won't draw any current since water stays hot in tanks for a long time without additional heating.

As for the detergent they do recommend HE (not HD) detergents (at least that's what they're called in the US>

As long as were talking about washing machines...

Does anyone use the PODS kind of laundry soap.
I bought some thinking it would be less messy and more spill proof than the liquid or powder types.

I think the soap instructions say to throw the pack into the washer and then add the clothes.

Since the manual for my unit was made before the PODS type of soap came out - there is no mentioning of it.

Anyone use the packs of soap you through in?  In your Splendide?

Since a Splendide only needs ~1-1.5 tablespoons of HE detergent, I would be very concerned that the pods would be way too much.  Remember the pods are designed for full-sized machines.

docj said:
As for the detergent they do recommend HE (not HD) detergents (at least that's what they're called in the US>

Yes!!! You are correct, thanks for the correction. (The same term is used in the Great White North!!) 8)

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
The pods worked fine in our Splendide 2100XC. I think my wife used Tide Pods.
Thanks Gary.

Is there a size difference between a 2100XC and my 2000?

Also does she just throw the pod in before the clothes?  Putting nothing in the Detergent dispenser?

I asked the DW what she used when we had our combo unit for 3 years. Her recollection was that the pods were not recommended. It may have been due to the low volume of water that the washer uses may not dissolve all of the detergent completely.  We had the newer model with the larger size drum, and it still was not recommended.  Even too much fabric softener can clog up the exhaust port, so if you do use it, do it sparingly. 

Also, the fixed pods can be a problem in very soft water areas.  We have artificially softened water in the house and I reduce the amount of soap in both the dishwasher and the clothes washer to prevent oversudsing.  I don't use pods in either the house or the motorhome.  Splendide recommends their own brand of powdered soap, but I prefer to use liquid Tide with the HE designation.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsWebster
Back
Top Bottom