Back Back Evil Old Motorhome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

systemcat

That's how I felt I got treated over the phone talking to a campsite working out of Columbus, Ohio. When they heard I was considering camping at their place for essentially the maiden voyage of my Georgie Boy restored. When I said once it was fully fixed up I wanted to make the trip, the lady on the other end asked how old it was. Then she proceeded to say off the bat I couldn't rent space for a month given it's older then 20 years in age. Then she gave me what felt like a checklist to infants of "now little child, you shouldn't really consider getting on the road because this could ...". The listing made it come across as if she felt I was a person who knew nothing about traveling at all :mad: .

Is this common? Campsites acting like they want to drive you off staying at them just because you have an older RV?

What impression did YOU give them over the phone?

If I owned a campground and was faced with the possibility of a 40 year old motorhome breaking down on a site, I might be reluctant to accept the reservation.

Eager for a quote for three nights stay come June. Friendly and ready for sight seeing a few hours from home.  :-\
The only thing that gave me a novice feel to her was I requested a pull through site since I admitted not being comfortable backing it up.

What about towing a vintage travel trailer? 

I am currently 95% finished with a major restoration job on a 1983 travel trailer. It looks great inside and out. My tow vehicle is also nice - a babied and garage-kept 2000 F150 that looks new.

Would I be kept out of some parks?

I have seen some parks saying they don't take rvs over 10 years old. Not sure how rigid this is though. And there are plenty others out there so I wouldn't worry too much about it  ;D

Possibly the same policy I heard they use at NASCAR races for the TT's,MH's and such on the infield. The nice high end ones go over here, so the cameras and people can see them right out front, (plus you get special treatment because it looks like you have money) and the rest go to the left and are not given special treatment or view of the race.

Just what I thought I heard. Maybe I'm wrong.?

FLMikeG said:
What about towing a vintage travel trailer? 

I am currently 95% finished with a major restoration job on a 1983 travel trailer. It looks great inside and out. My tow vehicle is also nice - a babied and garage-kept 2000 F150 that looks new.

Would I be kept out of some parks?

You might be but... Just don't be too generous with the information you give them if asked. Some may ask for photos. I think those that do  ask are more worried about a vintage motor home that might be abandoned on their property if it finally packs it in while there.

I don't plan in staying in many RV parks anyway, but it's good to know this about age limits. I'll be spending most of my time boondocking and in state parks where they don't have this rule. But, it would be a shame to get turned away from a park because the camper is beyond a certain age. I can understand their concern that a run-down, old beater might break down on their property and become an eyesore. But what about that guy driving a classic 57' Chevy and towing a restored and beautiful Shasta TT? Maybe this is a good reason to join the Tin Can Tourists - they probably know which parks to avoid for this.

systemcat said:
That's how I felt I got treated over the phone talking to a campsite working out of Columbus, Ohio. When they heard I was considering camping at their place for essentially the maiden voyage of my Georgie Boy restored. When I said once it was fully fixed up I wanted to make the trip, the lady on the other end asked how old it was. Then she proceeded to say off the bat I couldn't rent space for a month given it's older then 20 years in age.

systemcat said:
Eager for a quote for three nights stay come June. Friendly and ready for sight seeing a few hours from home.  :-\
The only thing that gave me a novice feel to her was I requested a pull through site since I admitted not being comfortable backing it up.

So which did you ask for, 3 nights or a month?  That's a big difference from the campground's viewpoint.

We stayed at the Oasis rv resort in Las Vegas. They have a policy that if you rv is older than 10 years, they reserve the right to inspection. We saw lots of older models there, but they were all well kept and in decent condition. There were many 3-400000 dollar coaches there as well. I think most places just dont want eyesores making the place look junkie. As long as it looks decent, you generally wouldnt have a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom