Travel Trailer hitching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbyg2013

For awhile now I have been frustrated with my ability to back my truck up to my travel trailer and get it aligned on the first or second try while using the back-up camera in my truck. By accident I solved that problem and I want to share this idea with other frustrated folks.  Using two bright colored items, I use my work gloves, but you can use any thing that stands out in your camera.  Lay one on the trailer hitch and the other just off the ball on the hitch on the truck.  Backing up now is a breeze for me.  Hope it works for you. Let me know what you think.

bobbyg2013 said:
For awhile now I have been frustrated with my ability to back my truck up to my travel trailer and get it aligned on the first or second try while using the back-up camera in my truck. By accident I solved that problem and I want to share this idea with other frustrated folks.  Using two bright colored items, I use my work gloves, but you can use any thing that stands out in your camera.  Lay one on the trailer hitch and the other just off the ball on the hitch on the truck.  Backing up now is a breeze for me.  Hope it works for you. Let me know what you think.

If that works for you, that's awesome.

Seems like a good idea. Contrast is always helpful. My backup camera's clarity and resolution is so good I can see the black trailer tongue and the shiny ball of my hitch no problem. Lining them up is easy thanks to this camera. Only thing it isn't clear about is height difference. So, when I get close enough I jump out and check the height of the tongue and raise it a bit more if needed. At some point I'll figure out how high it needs to be, but as far as alignment the camera does a great job.
I have a '16 GMC 2500HD and the camera that came with it.

What pops into my mind it the set of telescoping poles with magnets on one end and what looks like a tennis ball on the other.

The back up camera is a god sent for people who tow a lot. I am a contractor and tow lots of trailers. I get a kick out of people when you wheel in, and back right up to the ball for hook up. They always say stuff like, "looks like you have done that a few times" ect. I never have the heart to tell them I have a back up camera and it makes it easy as pie. Just let them think Im some kind of back up wizard. lol

Like I said in my original post. My truck has a "back-up" camera but my eyes are not what they used to be. Sometimes when backing up I get a glare or I get in a darker spot and I can't clearly see how close my truck is to my trailer. So the glove idea has been such a relief.  Good for all those who have good eye sight and an excellent back up camera.  Us old folks sometimes need a little more help.  Safe travels. I leave tomorrow on a 3+ month long trip.

They hadn't thought of backup camera in 1995 when my Suburban (tow vehicle) rolled off the line.  :)  With a "spotter" on the outside (my wife or son), I'm usually able to get where I need to be in 2-3 tries.  Getting lined up perfectly on the first attempt would be a downright miracle!

Sometimes it's the simple things that make all the difference.  Why buy something crazy expensive (or even inexpensive), when you can throw a pair of gloves out (that you already have) and do the same thing.  I love it.

I took the low-budget way out...I just sprayed the top of the coupler ball with a bright green paint.  Easy to see, even if the sun is at a tough angle.

srs713 said:
What pops into my mind it the set of telescoping poles with magnets on one end and what looks like a tennis ball on the other.
I was at Harbor Freight this AM and noticed they had them on sale.
Marvin

I used a poor man's backup camera - a mirror that hooked over the tailgate so you could see the hitch by looking in the rear view mirror. Loved it...especially since it was given to me by a friend who sold his TT. Can't argue with free!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom