Going to travel RV-less for the first time in a long time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
So our new adventure is bogged down a bit. Still waiting for our home buyer to sell his place. Contingency sales kinda suck, but pretty common sometimes.  So we may be heading to Mississippi sometime in June to pick up the new RV.  We had a choice of driving all the way there, picking up the new rig, and driving all the way back to Ca just to get our RV stuff out of storage.  Well, that wasn't very appealing.

So I thought we would rent a uhaul and drive there with all our RV stuff with us. Then I checked the prices at Uhaul. A trip of that distance, one way, gets 7 days max and costs about $500.  Another week would be another $500. 

So I decided to purchase my own trailer, make it a cargo trailer, pull it back to Mississippi at our own pace. We will take 2-3 weeks, and then when we get back there the PDI at the dealer will take 5 days. So we can keep our stuff with us during that time also.  Afterwards I will put the trailer on Craig's List or some such thing and recoup as much as I can out of it. 

We plan on hitting KOA's all the way back and renting the "Kamping Kabins". Diane has identified the ones that allow pets. I will pull the trailer, a 5X8 with a 4' tall box on it with my Jeep Wrangler.  At least that's the plan we have in place right now.  Hey, what could go wrong?

That will be a big change by not sleeping in your own bed every night.  That will make the new rig that much more enjoyable.

Thanks guys! Full timing in an RV has never bothered me. But the thought of being homeless and RV less is spooky! I am trying to make the plans for the trailer project, but there are surprisingly minimal on line plans to be found. But I will  figure it out.

Unless you want a project of building the trailer, have you checked with any of the trailer rental outfits? I don't know who is still in the business other than UHual. I bought one close to the size your talking about from Budget. When I got it I replaced the wheel bearings and put new tires on it. It served me well through several military moves. Sold it for almost what I paid for it when I retired.

Back to basics for a while, eh? Do you intend on towing the trailer back to CA to sell it? Probably a good time of year and a good place to get your money back.

If you can't find a KOA and need another overnight option, Motel 6 is very pet friendly.  I use them a lot when I travel for work and their remodeled rooms are a far cry from what they were a few years ago.  Just make sure you pack some toiletries including shampoo - all they supply are TP, washcloths, towels and soap.

Hope the house sale gets completed soon. I'm sure you'll find a trailer. Good luck, I'm excited for you guys  ;D

UTTransplant said:
Back to basics for a while, eh? Do you intend on towing the trailer back to CA to sell it? Probably a good time of year and a good place to get your money back.

I hope not. I want to get rid of it back there somewhere, as we are heading east towards Florida after we get squared away with the new rig.  If necessary maybe I can leave it with someone back in RB to handle it for me.  I know one of the techs pretty well, he may be willing to handle it for me.  Other than that I was going to run ads in the Tupelo, MS area since that is where Sherman is located.

We have checked a few Motels, once a pet is mentioned the rates jump dramatically. But honestly, so do the rates at the KOA cabins.

From what I read you are selling your home eventually and Full timing.
Just a thought ------Assuming you are going to purchase a Motor coach,------Buy a trailer, dual axle, covered and one that the Jeep will fit inside.
Then you have the option of hauling the Toad plus more storage room.  Then after a while you and your SO can determine what you need for full timing and then sell the trailer.  We full timed for 20+ years and it took a while before we narrowed down the must have and the nice to have stuff.
Marvin
PS, Storage shelve can be added above the jeep hood for some things. That way you can have a shorter covered trailer.
BTW, I'm a pack rat and once managed to get 5 quarts into a gallon jug. ;)  ( 4 quarts of golf balls plus one quart of water. ;D)

The new RV is already ordered, and we have full timed  before. This is just a returning to a previous state of living.  Even though we have done it before, it's still quite the rush of excitement and anticipation!

Sounds like you and Diana have put a lot of thought and planning into your decisions. Hope everything works out and is well timed for you both. DH and I are hoping to go full time in about 10 years, so we are learning so much here from everyone on the board. Sounds like a great lifestyle with a lot of freedom to relax and enjoy our great country! Until then, we are going to soak up every adventure we can with our girls and make as many memories as we can pack in. Good luck to you both and hope everything works out well!

WooHoo!  Got my build date today from my dealer! My chassis hits the shop on 5/24, and I go into station 1 in the main plant on 5/26 at 0600. I got my flight today, and will be arriving on the 5/25. I will get to follow it for the next 5 days as it rolls down the assembly floor, asking questions, and taking lots of pics.  A true RV geeks dream!

The only down side is that this is just before the Memorial Day holiday! So the rig hits the shop on the Friday before, then there is a 3 day weekend. I may go visit some relatives over the holiday weekend that are within a days drive.

That is amazing! Sounds like it will be a great opportunity to experience. It will be interesting to see your updates.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Unless you want a project of building the trailer, have you checked with any of the trailer rental outfits? I don't know who is still in the business other than UHual. I bought one close to the size your talking about from Budget. When I got it I replaced the wheel bearings and put new tires on it. It served me well through several military moves. Sold it for almost what I paid for it when I retired.

SargeW said:
Yep, first post! $500 a week from U-haul.

Sarge, I think you misunderstood Don.  He was suggesting a rental company as a source for a good used cargo trailer.  He said he bought one (not rented) from Budget.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom