Door Rust - 2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoelP

I have searched this forum for rust issues with Winnebagos and mostly see an issue with rust around the windows, compartments or frame, but cannot see anyone complaining about rust on the driver side door.  When I bought our RV last year in San Diego from the original owner I asked about several blistering spots on the driver side door.  He never drove the rig far from his home near San Diego, and the mileage of 6800 miles attested to that for a 6 year old vehicle.  He was not very familiar with rust so had no idea about this and said it was that way from the time it was new.  Having lived in Rochester, NY I recognized this as rust blisters, but have been mystified about how this could have happened.  Rusty vehicles that arrive in CA simply stop rusting.  Vehicles bought here never rust.  I have had it 100% of the time in Bay Area of California where rust is also unknown. There isn't even the tiniest bit of rust anywhere else on this vehicle, so why on this door? 

These rust blisters are so far elevated the ground that I cannot believe they could have seen salt spray even when it was delivered from Iowa to San Diego.  Has anyone experienced this?  Would Winnebago consider this a manufacturing defect?

Attachments

• rust _suncruiser_1_edited-1.jpg
    rust _suncruiser_1_edited-1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 48
  • rust_suncruiser_3.JPG
    rust_suncruiser_3.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 37
Hard to believe it was delivered like that. Certainly not hard to fix, except for the paint matching. Winnebago wouldn't consider it a manufacturing defect, especially not after this many years, but it should have been taken care of by dealer.

Starting on the inside for sure.  I would pull the interior panel off and take a look inside.  Perhaps a rag or something that retains moisture was left in the door and it has kept the area wet for years.

Good idea.  I will try this before any attempt to fix it. I will also look to see if there are drainage holes that might be plugged.

Today I took off the inner door as well as a couple of other brackets and was surprised to see the there was a solid sheet of metal behind this that went edge to edge.  There were no apparent screws or fasteners.  Has anyone taken their Winnebago or Itasca driver side door apart?  If so how is this inner sheet of metal attached?

Joel

Here is a photo of what I found.  I am tending to agree with John that the black metal panel is glued on.  The other pieces of metal at there to allow the inner door handle to grab the outer door more securely.  When removed the black metal goes edge to edge with no apparent screws.

Attachments

• IMG_4021.JPG
    IMG_4021.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom