EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Leaving A-C on Without a Thermostat  (Read 410 times)

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
Leaving A-C on Without a Thermostat
« on: April 23, 2017, 06:35:42 PM »
I may need to leave my rig in Florida for a few days. It's forecast to be in 80'-90's by day and 60-70's by night.

My Air Conditioning doesn't have a thermostat, just a cold to warm setting.

If I left it on the warm setting, would that help keep the rig from getting too hot by day yet not freezing up the AC compressor at night?

If I leave it off completely I can leave 2 vents open but both have the wimpy fans that do virtually nothing but twirl and pretend. I figure the temps might rise to 100-120 that way and wreck havoc with some of my heat sensitive stuff.

Trying to figure out which would be best, leaving the two vents open  or leaving the AC on warm setting. Hopefully I won't have to go anywhere, but I've never run into this before, I've always had the rig with me everywhere.  ;D

Any insight from the pros would be awesome. Thank you.
http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
Re: Leaving A-C on Without a Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »
Is there any way that you could set up a timer, to turn it on during the day, and off at night?

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:16:27 PM »
That "cold to warm" dial is a thermostat, just not the conventional type you're familiar with that use actual temperature settings as the reference. You can set your A/C fully on "Cold" and let it run until the RV just reaches the temperature you want to hold, and then slowly turn it down until the A/C just shuts off. It will kick in again when the temperature rises several degrees, cycling on and off as needed to hold the desired temperature within a few degrees. When we had an A/C like that years ago, after establishing the setting we preferred I marked the dial so it was easy to return to.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

DearMissMermaid

• ---
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 10:20:43 PM »
Thanks for the info.

No way to set a timer on it, but sounds like if I leave it on a warmer setting it won't be kicking in the compressor at night. I was just hoping to keep the rig under 80F during daytime.

My AC is a heat pump about 3 years old, not sure if that makes any difference. It doesn't seem to regulate very well, which is why I should err on higher temp rather than lower. It has frozen up before when the door was open and *ahem* it was thought to be on fan when it was really on AC.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:25:19 AM »
I now have two A/C's on this that are different (They used to be the same) one has a digital remote control T-Stat. the other has a Warm/Cold knob.. It too is a T-Stat, just no calibration.

Find a setting that is comfortable for the fur kid and leave it there.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

DearMissMermaid

• ---
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 05:43:37 PM »
That "cold to warm" dial is a thermostat, just not the conventional type you're familiar with that use actual temperature settings as the reference. You can set your A/C fully on "Cold" and let it run until the RV just reaches the temperature you want to hold, and then slowly turn it down until the A/C just shuts off. It will kick in again when the temperature rises several degrees, cycling on and off as needed to hold the desired temperature within a few degrees. When we had an A/C like that years ago, after establishing the setting we preferred I marked the dial so it was easy to return to.

Mine doesn't work that way at all. It can be set on full tilt boogie and on a hot humid day, keep it at 78F with a reduction in humidity that makes it livable inside. On a cooler less humid day it can freeze me out.

Adjusting it to a lower setting means it doesn't cycle on as much, but it surely doesn't keep a constant temperature, it seems to be a slave to the outside conditions. So what works in broad sunlight doesn't work in the dark of night. Or rather works much differently.

However...

I did go to the Keys with my friend and leave my RV all alone for the first time ever in 7.5 years.

I left the AC on but had it about mid-ways so it wasn't keeping it very cold, but it was keeping the humidity out. I wanted it cold enough to prevent my creams, lotions and potions from separating. Sometimes that can ruin them.

Just for grins and safety, I unplugged everything else in the rig. Unfortunately, I accidentally unplugged the germ killer.

What a real shame, as 2 weeks of constant germ killing would have been nice as the germ killer prevents mold etc.

I found out later it was my friend checking behind me, that thought I had missed a plug. OOPS!  He unplugged the germ killer.  But I forgave him since we had such a great time in his little van in the Keys.  ;D

TRGunner

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 07:08:58 AM »
Your AC is only removing the heat load the RV is encountering. A typical RV will struggle in the hot direct sunlight since the heat load is much higher, and "freeze you out" on lighter loads(cloudy day etc.) RV's are the tightest unfortunately when it comes to their thermal barrier.
Just leave your thermostat on a mid warm setting and it should cycle on and off when the space reaches set point.

Hosted by Over The Network