Does *anyone* like standard RV wall panel designs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoundyBoy

Seriously, is there *anyone* out there who thinks those 80's airplane bathroom wall patterns and carpeted ceilings are a good look? Here's my work in progress covering the last of the awful walls in the cabover area of my 2003 Fleetwood Tioga, before and after. The entire RV ceiling is now covered in this tin tile (doing finish work on the last section tomorrow) and the rest of the walls are painted - wanted to try something different in the cabover space. Very happy with how this is coming out :)

Attachments

• CaboverWall_After_Forumsize.jpg
    CaboverWall_After_Forumsize.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 164
  • CaboverWall_Before_Forumsize.jpg
    CaboverWall_Before_Forumsize.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 157
To answer your question, I don't like that awful paneling they put in RVs, but you can live with it, if you try. We had a 1988 Hawkins Motor Coach that was all finished in oak paneling. I loved that. Now we have a Riverside Retro 195 with fake birch paneling. It looks better than the "airplane" panels. I love your ship lap. Is that real lumber or some kind of pre-made panel?

My 16 Jayco has a pretty "modern" design to it and looks pretty nice, I have no issues. I always cringe at doing any decor or other modifications to my TT which would change away from what originally came in the TT. When I go to sell it one day, my design ideas could mess up a sale as well as bring questions into the mix as to "why" did you get away from the original design/products. Are you hiding something.? a leak, damage.? To me original is best. It keeps my audience of buyers (one day) at ease.
Just my two cents.

The work you did looks great, by the way.

Ah, the idea of not covering damage totally makes sense to me, thanks. I just wish the original paneling in my RV was something I liked better. I would *love* if it was oak paneling and wouldn't have even thought about changing it. Just couldn't deal with the airplane wall thing, and previous owners had already painted most of the coach so the cabover paneling stuck out like a sore thumb.

Punomatic, it's actually just wallpaper, not real paneling. It's easily removable (hopefully not so easily that it will come down accidentally!) so if I ever decide to sell it, that won't be an issue. The rest of the walls being painted is another story though. This RV had major conversions done by previous owner including removing the interior bathroom wall which messed up the floor support...Long story, but that's how I ended up getting a great deal on this unit, as floor had to be almost entirely replaced and reinforced.

Love your new wall paper -- I've seen that exact look on Pinterest and it's very attractive to me, rustic, with mild color.  I don't own a trailer yet, but all of the new trailer interiors are hideous in terms of wall coverings and cabinet colors.  I find myself considering how I can redecorate even a brand new trailer!  My latest thought is I'll live with it as long a possible (maybe a year or two) and then make changes.  I also like the newish wall papers that look like stone or brick.  I also bought that tin type wall paper to use as ceiling for my old house closets and attic access.  Very nice look, great job.  Linda

Linda, I so totally feel you! Even looking at new RVs that are waaay outside my budget, all I can think is they need some serious fashion upgrades! I am loving the wallpaper, and one $39 roll was enough for the whole cabover space. I really like the faux brick too - there are so many cool options for not a lot of $, and easy to DIY.

Can't believe I found this topic to be so current.  We bought a new KZ Connect last fall (our first camper).  When we were looking, I really liked (as much as one can like a camper interior) of the Winnebago Minnie.  It has a light color wood and it was so nice and bright inside.  The reason we didn't buy it was because no one at the dealership seemed like selling anything that day.  A guy that came out to talk to us just didn't seem knowledgeable at all about it and there wasn't anyone else to talk to.  So we walked away from it thinking we didn't want to buy from a dealership like that.  Went to another dealer and they "sold" us what we now own.

To be honest I really hate the interior.... it has a dark wood, taupe (faux leather) on part of the upholstery and a really ugly upholstery on the windows.  The wallboard is just a texture cream pattern with a brown border on it.... in my opinion, wallpaper boarders went out in the 80's.  The only colors in the camper are brown  black and grey.  No color at all.  I live on the coast of NC and love the bright coastal colors and am dying when camping in this dreary thing.
Even though the camper is a '17, I'm ready to do some major decorating....  DH is a little reserved painting or sprucing a new camper up, but he also is kicking himself for not insisting on buying the Minnie with the bright decor.  So our project is about to begin. 

My first thing is to find a fabric to replace all the upholstery with.  In my former life I was a nationally published decorator (years ago) and I have extensive sewing experience so I'm not really concerned about the windows and upholstery.  I am concerned about all the wood that is in this thing and how I go about painting or lightening it up.  Has anyone had any experience doing a kind of whitewash on cabinets?  I didn't really want to do a full-fledged painting, just thought I could lighten them somehow. 

Any little changes to brighten up an rv is a nice touch to personalize it and make it your own. Cute pick for the wallpaper Vanessa! It's always nice to add a bit of color.

As far as painting cabinets or whitewashing, that isn't something I have ventured into yet. I did however paint our interior walls and it gives it a modern and fresh look compared to the manufactured look. I used a bright yelllow on one of the bathroom walls and it sure pops. I too am curious about painting the fake wood and/or cupboards in our camper. I've read there are great primers to use to help the paint adhere to that kind of stuff, I'm just still hesitant if it would easily chip off and look messy. And to be honest, we have put so much labor into it already I really just don't want to dive into that large of a paint project right now when it isn't necessary. Maybe next spring?
Anyone else who may have painted interior cabinets wil hopefully chime in? Curious too if the cabinet painting stands the test of time over the long run...

Oh and Vanessa, where did you find that type of shade for windows? Do you like it overall and was it easy to install? I have metal blinds right now and they get caught on my curtains every time I try to raise and lower them.  :-\

lalawson said:
My first thing is to find a fabric to replace all the upholstery with.  In my former life I was a nationally published decorator (years ago) and I have extensive sewing experience so I'm not really concerned about the windows and upholstery.  I am concerned about all the wood that is in this thing and how I go about painting or lightening it up.  Has anyone had any experience doing a kind of whitewash on cabinets?  I didn't really want to do a full-fledged painting, just thought I could lighten them somehow.

Don't take this the wrong way. Unless you plan on keeping that TT forever, the changes you are going to make will (possibly) hinder a sale down the road. I would have to reaaaaly think about buying a used TT that had such extensive changes in paint and interior work done. Unless it absolutely, was to my taste. With sooo many TT's for sale, I'd probably move on. You can ask anyone in the car customizing world as an example, when you change the interior or exterior to "my liking and taste" you never get that investment back nor does it appeal to everyone. So selling it has its challenges.  I personally would probably not fully have the same taste as you, similar to home buying (you always paint first thing, so its how you want it).

If I was to be looking to buy your TT I have to figure in the cost of changing it back to "My" taste and then the TT will ultimately still have the unoriginal work done that could never be brought back to original one day. If down the road if I wanted to sell it, the guy I would sell it to would probably feel the same way.

Just my two cents.

Lalawson,
Could you do cushion covers that you could easily remove instead of actually reupholstering them? Add some throw pillows. Change the curtains but keep/hold on to the originals to change back for reselling time? Instead of paint, add some decor items that would brighten the space? Cabinet pulls could be switched to something unique, hold on to originals for reselling time. It's amazing just how much adding your personal touches, via curtains rugs, decor etc can make a camper feel like your own. We have a 1999 so we don't have a huge resale if we do decide down the road to do so. Definitely something to think about before making any irreversible changes. Maybe start with minor cosmetic changes and see how those make you feel about your space.

BikerFlex&HappyJen said:
Lalawson...TSJ above has a good point since you do have a 2017. I would be hesitant on making any major changes to a brand new camper that could not be easily changed back when/if you are ready to sell. Maybe just do cushion covers that you could easily remove instead of actually reupholstering them? Add some throw pillows. Change the curtains but keep/hold on to the originals? No painting but add some decor items that would brighten the space? You could change the cabinet pulls to something brighter and fun, hold on to originals. It's amazing just how much adding your personal touches, via curtains rugs, decor can make a camper feel like your own. We have a 1999 so we don't have a huge resale if we do decide down the road to do so. Definitely something to think about before making any irreversible changes. Maybe start with minor cosmetic changes and see how those make you feel about your space.  :)

;)

BikerFlex&HappyJen, the RV's previous owners installed those shades - they are great! I'd just removed them to wallpaper in the "before" picture. I'll check them to see if there's a brand name on them somewhere.

On another note, I wish I could have done what you're doing with *real* wood rather than silly wallpaper, but I definitely don't have those skills :)

TSJ, there's a mighty can of worms! I do understand the point about not making major changes to a 2017 model, but my RV had already been majorly renovated before I bought it so keeping the original interior had gone out the window long before my purchase.

Interestingly, there is a whole subculture of DIY RV renovation - see Pinterest for a zillion examples. Since I bought mine a few months ago, I can't tell you how many friends have told me that they've always wanted to purchase and remodel an RV interior - or wanted to buy one that's already been remodeled.

If I do ever sell my RV, it's definitely going to be in a niche market that is into this type of thing. Since my unit - other than the only-wallpapered ship lap - has been pretty much entirely gutted and re-done, it's not going to appeal to someone who wants original anything. It's also not going to appeal to a family traveling with kids, as the back bed was removed and the area renovated into a studio, so there is limited sleeping space. However, it's perfect for me as a single person wanting a mobile live/work space, and that renovation done by the previous owners was the biggest reason I chose to purchase this particular RV. Hoping that if I decide to sell down the road, I'll find someone whose needs are similar to mine. YMMV :)

We did only a small update to ours - pulling out the horrid jack knife sofa bed and replacing it with two recliners. Our dealer really recommended we keep the old sofa and reinstall before selling at some time in the future for resale value. After all, I live in Utah where four children is considered a small family :) We didn't worry about it. I want a trailer I am comfortable in since I will be in there a lot. When we decide to sell, there won't be as many couples looking for a trailer as there are families, but the couples that are looking will like the livability. As for buying a used RV with extensive cosmetic updates (paper, paint upholstery), I feel comfortable enough with my ability to detect real damage that I wouldn't worry about it. Used units with a dated interior are a turn off for me since I have to add the redecorating costs to the unit; I couldn't live with flowered upholstery and wall paper borders. No offense to those who like it, but I am quite modern in my taste.

Hello Lalawson

Back to your inquiry about lightening that dark wood.  Whitewashing is usually reserved for unfinished wood- as it's purpose is to allow the grain to show through and create an interesting effect while persevering the wood. I love the whitewash finish I have seen in RV remodels.  To look good, you would need to remove a lot of the finish that is on the cabinets now, either by chemically stripping them or sanding the H* out of them.  Take it from wood restoration experience here, neither of these operations are fun, they are labor and time intensive, and make a real mess.  I totally dislike paint on wood, and have stripped and restored furniture for over 40 years to get back that nice patina.  It kills me to think that when I buy a new TT I may likely have to resort to putting paint ON the wood cabinets and trim.  But, in considering my options, I think painting ugly dark cabinets to lighten them is the only viable option-unless I pay someone else to strip/sand them (not likely). 

Also, I've learned that sometimes the sides or trim on cabinets are actually a wood-looking vinyl or plastic like paper that would not take sanding.  They can take paint however.  Don't know your particulars of course.

My 2 pennies, redo and remodel your new TT to your heart's content.  Forget the resale potential and enjoy your home.  I for one don't see my TT as an investment and I don't need for it to be in order to justify owning one. Although there is a constant theme here about resale value and how much Mr. X sold his old one for, I'm not swayed by it as a major concern.  Markets for every used item out there -whether trailers, diamonds, or Beanie Babies - come and go and predictions about those markets are completely uncertain.  If someone down the road doesn't like my painted cabinets, then they can offer a lower price and I'd be fine with that because I would have loved living in my abode and that's just part of the price I pay for doing so.  But, that's my take based on my life stage, others may have different priorities based on their circumstances.

Go for it! I'm jealous of your confidence and ability to do the upholstery as I've not learned that.  The window trims I can probably handle. 

Google "RV remodeling" or "renovation" and be prepared to see some awesome stuff.  Linda

Back
Top Bottom