Hello fellow off-roaders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

COHauler

Well this whole forum is pretty good. RV'n, travel, and some mild to wild off-roaders.

If you are ever staying in Colorado, NM, SD, UT or have a good suggestion, let me know. I like to do mild to wild...more wild to be honest. I do take ice cream runs, in fact doing one tomorrow.

Little bit about my TJ, kinda typical around here, so nothing real special.

2003 TJ ex-Rubicon

Drivetrain:

Front axle:
Custom built Solid Industries HP D-60 axle housing to match a 86-91.5 Ford D-60, 5.38s, Yukon locker, chromoly shafts, Solid C's, Chevy outers and drive flanges. Axle has full hydraulic steering. Axle is 3 linked, and hopefully will be 4 linked in the future.

Rear axle:
AAM 14B with disc brakes out of a 05 Chevy 2500 Gas, truss, 5.38 gears, Yukon locker. Pretty basic. Shaved the boat anchor a bit.

Transmission & T-case:

AW4 and Atlas II 4.3 HD

Motor: 4.0, asphalt ripping HP/Tq monster.....yeah, there will be a LS motor and T400 going in there.

Suspension and links:
King Shocks. I have always been a fanboy of their shocks due to the great customer service they provide before/during/after the sale. These are 14", 2.5 Kings with RR on all corners. I was going to do ORI's, but chickened out. To help with over extending/bottoming these shock, I installed limit straps and King 2.0 2" hydraulic bump stops. Works ok, but I am going to pull these apart one of these days soon and change some valving...pretty easy to do. I made my own shock/radiator hoops, cross bars and tied them all into the frame.
Links are 2.5 aluminum up front and 2.0 in the back. Should have went 2.5 in the rear as well.

Tires and wheels:

Raceline bead locks with 40" MTR stickies. They work pretty good, but I can see myself going back to BFG Red labels. I couldn't pass up on these Goodyear tires though, 4 brand new tires for 1600.00 is pretty tempting.

Frame:

I front/rear half'd the frame myself. I don't like it and will be getting the tubing notcher and bender out soon. The square tubing is heavy and not as functional as I wanted. So it has to go.

Roll cage is tied into the frame on the C/B pillar. Need to work on the A pillar.

Does everything work like I want it to? Nope, but I am my own worst critic. The frame just bugs the bejesus out of me.

Well, that is all I have to say about that.

This is my Jeep.

Attachments

• IMG_1072.JPG
    IMG_1072.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 61
If you are a member of the FMCA you should put your self on the membership wait list for FMCA 4-Wheelers...http://www.fmca4wheelers.com/page-18069.

You would fit right in and join them on the 4.0-5+ trails in those areas you mentioned.

Terry A. Brewer said:
If you are a member of the FMCA you should put your self on the membership wait list for FMCA 4-Wheelers...http://www.fmca4wheelers.com/page-18069.

You would fit right in and join them on the 4.0-5+ trails in those areas you mentioned.

Thanks for the link.

However, I don't do the sanctioned club thing anymore.

COHauler said:
Thanks for the link.

However, I don't do the sanctioned club thing anymore.

"sanctioned"?  The FMCA 4Wheelers don't engage in anything but running trails all around the SW... no sanctioned events or competitions just a few jeep-type vehicles trying to get over various obstacles or taking a scenic ride through the back country to see places that most people never see.  Very social actually.

taoshum said:
"sanctioned"?  The FMCA 4Wheelers don't engage in anything but running trails all around the SW... no sanctioned events or competitions just a few jeep-type vehicles trying to get over various obstacles or taking a scenic ride through the back country to see places that most people never see.  Very social actually.

Well that sounds like something I would like. Thank you sir.

Nicely built TJ.

I too would suggest looking into the FMCA 4-Wheelers.  They are a great group and do a lot for the off-roading community.  The gatherings and get-togethers are really fun and usually have quite a large turn-out in attendance.  We have met some wonderful people and attend when we can, although with my wife and I still working full-time is hard to do.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
Nicely built TJ.

I too would suggest looking into the FMCA 4-Wheelers.  They are a great group and do a lot for the off-roading community.  The gatherings and get-togethers are really fun and usually have quite a large turn-out in attendance.  We have met some wonderful people and attend when we can, although with my wife and I still working full-time is hard to do.

Mike.

Sold!

That is my kind of wheeling community.

I consider myself to be very fortunate to be a member of the FMCA 4Wheelers. We have attended several rallies since becoming members. It is the best wheeling event(s) of my year. This year we/I are attending 3 rallies, all in Utah. Moab, the Rolling Rally from Blanding to Green River, and St. George. I will be wheeling for an entire month with some really great folks.

The other thing I like about the FMCA 4Wheelers is that there is no pressure to conquer obstacles. Encouragement yes, peer pressure no. For me that is important, I compete with myself alone...making an effort to successfully negotiate increasingly difficult obstacles.

And...it's my age group.

Like those above, we enjoy the FMCA Four Wheelers very much and have met a bunch of wonderful folks.

John Beard said:
And...it's my age group.

Hey, watch it John.  I'm not sure how I feel about that comment. :eek:  Don't be adding years to me unnecessarily.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
Hey, watch it John.  I'm not sure how I feel about that comment. :eek:  Don't be adding years to me unnecessarily.

Mike.

It's a compliment Mike...lol

Thanks everyone for the awesome encouragement to join what looks like a great place.

However, I do not meet the minimum requirements for the club.

A few of us from Southern NM, will be wheeling in Montrose CO, 2nd week of June, if any one is interested let me know.

Ernie n Tara said:
I think you'll find that FMCA is now, or soon to be, accepting trailer owners.

Ernie,

It is true that the FMCA Governing Board meeting in Indianapolis, Indiana in July will  determine whether or not  FMCA will expand membership opportunities to those with travel trailers and fifth wheels.  However each individual  Chapter  will determine their  own criteria for membership. I am newly elected National Director of FMCA 4 Wheeler Board and I do not foresee any change in the club's  bylaws to include trailers.  I'll bet  the proposed changes will happen and that owners of various types of RV's will establish their own chapters.  The  4 Wheeler group is capped at  430 member families and has a growing waiting list.

Betty Brewer said:
Ernie,

It is true that the FMCA Governing Board meeting in Indianapolis, Indiana in July will  determine whether or not  FMCA will expand membership opportunities to those with travel trailers and fifth wheels.  However each individual  Chapter  will determine their  own criteria for membership. I am newly elected National Director of FMCA 4 Wheeler Board and I do not foresee any change in the club's  bylaws to include trailers.  I'll bet  the proposed changes will happen and that owners of various types of RV's will establish their own chapters.  The  4 Wheeler group is capped at  430 member families and has a growing waiting list.

Thanks Betty for clarifying, it is always nice to hear the rules from someone that knows for a fact.

Well everyone that has posted, thank you for the kind words of encouragement to attempt to join FMCA, but these are the "things" that irk me about groups, clubs or whatever someone wants to call it. I have some great friends that go out when we can. Funny, it doesn't matter to us if you tow, drive or ship your rig...we are an equal opportunity fun time. We wheel where we want, when we want, with whom we want...it is just that simple. No reason to make it complicated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom