Is it time to get new tires?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhall

I have a 1982 Winnebago 621. We bought it a few years back after it sat since 1994. I believe the tires were put on brand new before it was parked, ( the nubs were still the tires). Anyway we have put on about 5000 on the rig since the rehab. My wife thinks it is time to have the tires replaced. I am looking at them and thinking they look better than the ones on either car. I guess the only thing I forgot to mention was that, when we first started driving it, the tires did have a flat spot. They do run smooth now though.
If anyone has an opinion on this we would appreciate it.
Thanks,jhall

The date code on the tires is far more important than what the tires look like.  We generally advise replacing them at about the seven year period because tires rot from the inside out and you can't see that.  Tires that have been sitting unused for a long time probably aren't in very good shape internally and should be replaced.  In addition, the tires may have been sitting for a couple of years before they were bought and put on your RV.  When we buy new tires we let the dealer know that the date code is important to us.  Our current set was three months old when put on our motorhome.  So, your wife is correct.  Blowouts can do significant damage to an undercarriage, not to mention the possibility of the driver losing control when a blowout happens.  Good tires provide peace of mind.

ArdraF

Thanks ArdraF,
After reading other posts, that seem what most people are saying.

If you plan on doing any distance travelling, you probably wouldnt get too far before needing to change a tire. I wouldnt be doing any speeding on those old girls. Peace of mind and safety would say for sure they need changed.

jhall said:
Thanks ArdraF,
After reading other posts, that seem what most people are saying.

Indeed.
If the thing sat since '94, and you have never replaced the tires, you're driving around on 20 year-old-tires. That is quite amazing in itself.
I would thank the gods that you have had no issues with those tires, and then go get them replaced.

Back
Top Bottom