Transmission Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gps42

I am new to this forum.  In reading thru some these posts, I see references to transmission temperature when towing.  I have a 2015 Chev Silverado 1500, and have pulled a couple other trailers that I own, but I have never paid attention to the transmission temperature.  So, what is the normal temperature?  Today I drove about 130 miles (no Towing) and paid attention to the temperature.  The temperature got up to 187 degrees while driving 60 -65 mph in an outside temp of about 35 degrees.  It took about 60 miles to get to this temp.  Is this normal?

Yes,and my MAX temp before I pull over or at least slow down is 240. That's my opinion and everyone will say different but your 2015 truck is smart enough that it will let you know before you get hot enough to hurt anything.

Yes, that's fine. Modern trannys are good to at least 210 and probably more like 235, at least for short periods. The tranny fluid begins to deteriorate in the vicinity of 240.

Good thing you aren't driving a Ford with a 6R140 trans. You would be scared to death looking at trans temps on them, I was. Normal range starts at about 195, and one shouldn't worry running one at 220 all day long towing.

How important is monitoring tranny temp?  I've wondered if it would be worthwhile to have a gauge installed on my '95 Suburban 2500.  It has the Chevrolet 4L80E transmission, which I've read was one of the most bulletproof and heavy-duty options out there.  At least for that era.

Back
Top Bottom