Complex question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biblebred

I'm trying to figure out if living in an RV or trailer is a smart option for me or not. Here is my dilemma. I'm a 41 yr. Old single woman who suffers from chronic pain and many other medical conditions that leave me unable to work. I have no income of my own but a family member can help with some monthly expenses. However I have physical challenges. I font know where I could live safely alone. Or off grid mostly to keep expenses at a minimum. In everyone's experience can you reasonably see someone like me being a success at this lifestyle? I have bad credit due to mostly unpaid medical bills, I have little to no income and must figure out a place to go within 3 months. I have no prior experience at this but as you can see options are few. I would appreciate your thoughts but please be kind. If this is an option what kind of trailer or Rv would be the easiest to handle for someone like me and the most affordable?

I don't think an RV is a smart option for you. There are plenty of mobile homes available in Florida for under $10k that would be a better fit for you. Check Craigslist to see what mobile homes are selling for in your area.

I have noticed a certain style of living lately. Its the "your not living here anymore" style. It consists of the 18 year old grabbing all of his possessions and walking out to the camper in the yard and living in it. OR someone buying an old cheap but solid/ usable camper and pulling it out back at a parents or friends place and living in it.

Think about it. Its cheap, no rent, no taxes, no grass to cut or upkeep, the only costs are possibly a small electric bill (if they charge you) and the cost of propane to heat and cook, which a hot plate and ceramic space heater could cut the costs even further.

It allows you to get back on your feet financially and still have a veeeery cheap roof over your head.

Not for me, but I have rental homes that are pretty small and offer up a very close cheap lifestyle. It works for some people.

My two cents.

Biblebred said:
I'm trying to figure out if living in an RV or trailer is a smart option for me or not.

I agree 100% with SeilerBird that given your circumstances an RV is not a smart choice, and that a mobile home is a much better idea.

There is a common misconception that one can just get an RV, park it somewhere, and instantly you're living "off grid" - it's much more complicated than that. It involves expensive batteries, expensive solar systems, and weather which isn't too hot or cold. Even with this, you need water, and have to dump waste tanks approximately weekly.

While they can seem like a good idea, RVs are a generally a very poor option for those with limited funds.

I have no income of my own but a family member can help with some monthly expenses.

Don't you mean they pay ALL your expenses?  Unless you have a number of people that can help you with money.

We are only trying to save you from making a big mistake when we say RV'ing is not a good choice for you.
You can't stay off grid for much more than a week or 2 IF your very very good at conserving water etc.
Then you will have to drive somewhere to get more water and dump tanks.  Also buy more food, gas, etc.

Plus RV's break down from time to time even more so than a house does.

One more thing is most RV's can cost more then a Mobile Home and might not last as long because they go down the road.

Good luck finding something or someplace to stay.

Wish we had better news for you.  At least you were smart enough to ask BEFORE you went out a bought something that
more then likely would have been a bad (AKA EXPENSIVE) choice.

Is there any low income housing near you? Check with the local housing authority and see what is available.

What is the climate like where you propose to do this? If it's going to be below freezing for any amount of time, trying to live in an RV is going to be a battle. It takes a LOT of propane and planning to manage living in an RV in cold weather.

Our son, who has PTSD, moved back in with us last year. He wanted to get back out on his own so we bought him a used RV (TT with slide). We paid about $2500 for the unit. He really has no intention of taking this rig on the road. He found a park to put it in at $500+ per month. He has to pay his own electric, cable and Internet. He has had to do some work on the trailer, some leaks, replacing flooring throughout. He has minimal income, VA disability and he makes about $10 an hour at his job. It works for him but he is handy with carpentry and metal work. I can help him with electrical and plumbing. Owning an RV or mobile home is the same as owning a house in that if something breaks you either have to fix it or pay someone else to fix it. With no fix it skills and very little money, in my humble opinion, I would rent a small apartment, maybe an efficiency. The landlord would be responsible for any repairs. Your biggest problem though is most places require a credit check and you said your credit is not good. There are two things that are way overrated: homeownership (whether it be a house, Mobile Home or RV) and kids. Both will suck you dry financially.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom