Basement AC Expansion valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IslandGuy

I took my MH to Freedom RV in Tucson to have them take a look at a few items...one was the low amp reading I was getting on the 2nd compressor in my basement AC. They removed and assessed and am being told the expansion valve in that 2nd line is defective...the part is available but according to Coleman Mach it is a "make ready" part. That means they have to manufacture it...nothing on the shelf...about a 2-3 week lag time...if they still manufactured a direct replacement for my basement AC I would have purchase a brand new whole unit...this issue is going to cost ~$1k :(
The joys of MH ownership!

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

The don't call them money pits for nothing Jim. I used a small inheritance to buy my coach 3 years ago. I think I need another small inheritance to keep it going.  Over $6000 in the last two years devoted to repairs including a $3500 transmission.  Funny thing is we still love the thing...........lol

Bill

Expansion valve, I'll be darned. That little guy is a critical part of the entire system, at least it's not the compressor.

Bill N said:
The don't call them money pits for nothing Jim. I used a small inheritance to buy my coach 3 years ago. I think I need another small inheritance to keep it going.  Over $6000 in the last two years devoted to repairs including a $3500 transmission.  Funny thing is we still love the thing...........lol
Ain't that the truth Bill. Four years or so ago we dropped over $10k on ours, the head had to be pulled for a valve job. Two years ago it was a new set of Michelins. Money pit but it's our apartment on wheels where we can travel with our stuff and the critters. Money well spent.

John Canfield said:
Expansion valve, I'll be darned. That little guy is a critical part of the entire system, at least it's not the compressor.
Ain't that the truth Bill. Four years or so ago we dropped over $10k on ours, the head had to be pulled for a valve job. Two years ago it was a new set of Michelins. Money pit but it's our apartment on wheels where we can travel with our stuff and the critters. Money well spent.
  Amen to all that John.  Just got a new set of Toyos that I hope drive better after they break in because the first 20 miles was not too pleasant..LOL

Bill

IslandGuy said:
I took my MH to Freedom RV in Tucson to have them take a look at a few items...one was the low amp reading I was getting on the 2nd compressor in my basement AC. They removed and assessed and am being told the expansion valve in that 2nd line is defective...the part is available but according to Coleman Mach it is a "make ready" part. That means they have to manufacture it...nothing on the shelf...about a 2-3 week lag time...if they still manufactured a direct replacement for my basement AC I would have purchase a brand new whole unit...this issue is going to cost ~$1k :(
The joys of MH ownership!

I picked up the MH earlier this week and today was the first opportunity to run the basement AC....I powered up the generator and am now pulling ~24 amps with both compressors running! I measured several times almost a 30 degree difference between my input temp and output of the first duct closest to the AC unit...so even though it was pretty expensive $1400 I am happy with the result!

Quick Question,I have a 2004 Adventurer 33v,Last week I found a leak in the duct work,I fixed it by taking the taillight out,was happy I didn't have to take the rear cap off,Anyway today we had 90 degree weather here in Bethlehem,Pa.I was excited to try my air to see how I did,It would only cool it down to 80 degrees and it was only drawing 14 amps on the meter inside the motorhome.I also should mention I only had the curtins draw on the front windshield.I also have a temperature gun and the air coming out of the vents was around 73 degrees,Is this normal or could my second compressor not be working.Thanks. Sorry for the long story

At 14 amps, it suggests that the second compressor is not kicking in. With both compressors running it should draw about 23 amps or so.

Ray said:
This is after-the-fact, but a few days ago I posted several links in a different basement Air conditioner thread here, one of them is to where you may purchase a new basement unit.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,103873.0.html

The replacement unit (46516-811) for my AC unit (6538-751) is no longer manufactured...if it was I would have purchased one...WGO used several different basement AC models in their coach...

rocknron said:
Quick Question,I have a 2004 Adventurer 33v,Last week I found a leak in the duct work,I fixed it by taking the taillight out,was happy I didn't have to take the rear cap off,Anyway today we had 90 degree weather here in Bethlehem,Pa.I was excited to try my air to see how I did,It would only cool it down to 80 degrees and it was only drawing 14 amps on the meter inside the motorhome.I also should mention I only had the curtins draw on the front windshield.I also have a temperature gun and the air coming out of the vents was around 73 degrees,Is this normal or could my second compressor not be working.Thanks. Sorry for the long story

As mentioned your second compressor is not running....hopefully it is nothing more than a start or run capacitor which is inexpensive to replace...also could be your thermostat...if you call Airexcel support line (316) 832-4357) and ask for Eric he can walk you through some testing procedures. Ignore the "only for qualified technicians" you hear on the recording....
Let us know what you find!
Good Luck!

rocknron said:

But first, check the circuit breakers for the AC units. There are two and they are located on the AC Circuit Breaker Panel right inside the entry door. I usually turn one breaker off when I am running on home power (120VAC @20 amps).  Otherwise I can't run the AC while it is sitting in front of the house and I am working inside it.

Bill

Sorry it took so long,The weather here didn't call for any a/c over the holiday so I finally got to use the a/c today,Turned out to be my thermostat,It wasn't sending a signal to turn on the second compressor,I ordered a new one but when it came ,Mine was a three
wire and the new one had four,I called Colman Mach and they said just cut the plug off my old one and put it on the new one and don't use the 4th wire,It's working great,But now my generator will run for about 5min then shut off,I let it sit for 10 min and it starts right up,Sounds and smell like its loading up.Anyway Thanks for all your responses

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom