Missing ID Information ( Decor )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

systemcat

While working on renovating my Georgie I've constantly been thinking of how to make it look nicer. In that pursuit a mystery has arisen. In the back are you could either say one or two overhead storage compartments because of how the designing was done. Dead center in between the compartments, markings in the wood that tell me something was fixed into it at some point in the past. Some kind of decoration put there by the company?

The marks are drill holes which I'm sure had to have been holding something back when the machine was new. I don't think one of the former owners placed something up to then remove it. I don't think the previous owners were that bright. 

Not sure if this is a question or not.  Apparently something was removed/altered, which is hardly unusual in a 40 year old RV (or a 40 YO house, for that matter).  If you are asking for suggestions, a photo of what you are looking at would help. 

I shot this shortly before staining the area to look nicer.

Attachments

• GBM1a.jpg
    GBM1a.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 26
A light.? Is there a wire on the instide of the storage compartment just hanging out or maybe cut and capped with wire nuts.?

Not that I'm aware of. All I noticed in the compartment behind it were planks of wood meant for repair work and hand towels.  :-\

Look, on the front side (the part you lean against when you look in) for an old wire or the sort. How about a hole where a wire came thru to then go up and feed that light. They may have just cut the wire and pushed it back down the hole out of sight.

Beyond that, you go to home depot and buy wood filler/ putty in a tooth paste container size which has a color to it and fill the holes. Then stain or sand it then stain and move on.

When I return to it tomorrow I'm going to photograph one of it's light fixtures ( they all look the same except the one in the driver's cabin ). I don't think this was a light.

Were they still putting the propane lanterns in them in '76?  My dad and I had a couple of Aristocrat TT's back in the 60's and they both had propane lanterns that worked like a Coleman lantern.

Come to think of it, my '72 Scotty was plumbed for the lantern, but it was never installed.

I looked back there again. There really isn't any evidence a lighting fixture was meant to be there.

As promised here are what the lights look like. The single one in the driver's cabin being different from the rest.

Attachments

• lights1.jpg
    lights1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 10
  • light.jpg
    light.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 11
The round light in the driver's compartment was provided by Dodge, the rest are standard old RV lights, like I had in my '89 Class A.

Maybe the previous owner had a night light or something mounted there.  I've got a lighted Old Crow advertising sign that hung over the beds in our old coach and is now in the salon area of the new one used as a night light.

Something learned today is those compartments behind the mystery marks. Well to either side on the walls are latches which un-clicked from place reveal that whole wall panel can be brought down. My mechanic friend who made the discovery said he thinks the conversion was meant to be a child's bed area. We even considered what if there was a missing plank of wood an old fashion TV set would have sat on, why those holes are there. But the bed conversion seems to rule out that idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom