keeping cupboards closed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willh2o

:'( We've had the cupboard above the sink in our 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 35u empty 3 x now. Thankfully only a few dishes and the sink insert have broken (ya gotta love Corelle). Crazy thing is the doors close after they dump the dishes and create havoc and not everything empties out.

The doors are like home kitchen doors. I am sure we can put a tie or a cord around the handles, just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience, and more importantly a wonderful solution?

Thanks for sharing,
Sandra

I use a velcro strap between the door handles of the dish cabinet over the kitchen sink as well as the two cabinet doors under the sink.  I consider it a safety precaution.

dah! Great idea, I hadn't thought of velcro straps. They should work perfect.

There are several different versions of toddler-style safety latches for drawers/cabinets that work well for RV's too.  Usually they will keep the doors closed but are easily overcome by pressing in on a small latch.

scottydl said:
There are several different versions of toddler-style safety latches for drawers/cabinets that work well for RV's too.  Usually they will keep the doors closed but are easily overcome by pressing in on a small latch.
We use the kid-proofing locks that look like padlocks to keep cupboards with french door type closure from spilling. For drawers, we use bungees that hook into a loop installed at top and bottom of the drawer stack and run through the drawer pulls.

My 2004 Itasca Suncruiser has cabinet hardware that makes it impossible for the doors to push open from shifting or movement.
Does all of your cabinetry have this problem?
Secure closing hinges may be a better alternative.

I use a short piece of stiff vinyl hose stuck between the handles, only because I didnt think of a velcro strap and had the hose handy.

Is it possible you're stacking too many dishes too high and they're sliding around and once they hit the door, it opens?  They sell a foam pad material you could put between the dishes to stop them from sliding around.  This is it. We use it under our table cloth to keep it from sliding off the table.
https://www.amazon.com/Shelf-Drawer-Liner-GARAGE-Blush/dp/B00D3O6YNC

The last 5vr we owned had a rear kitchen. The cabinets for the dishes and glasses were on the back wall where the RV gets most of the bouncing around. We had this style latches and never had an issue with doors opening.
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-H316-Black-Latch/dp/B002XM592M/ref=sr_1_1/138-9896672-5841661?ie=UTF8&qid=1493211157&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+cabinet+door+latch

The RV we have now, the cabinets are forward of the axles so there isn't much bouncing around. We now have this style and again, no issues with doors opening.
https://www.amazon.com/Hardware-House-64-4567-Contractor-10-Pack/dp/B002BY9JT6/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1493211441&sr=8-11&keywords=rv+cabinet+door+latch

Coming from 20 years sailing and blue water cruising, we learned how to keep things in place  :). I added fiddles (a strip of wood) to the front of the cabinet shelfs with the dishes. I made the fiddle with pins so it can be removed if necessary, fiddle is about 1.5" high. If you keep the bottom from moving, you've won most of the battle.

We lined all of the cabinets with non-adhesive shelf liner (with a bit of spray rubber cement underneath to hold it in place).    We also use a piece between dishes to keep them from slipping as needed (for instance, dinner plates are stacked and then a piece of shelf liner goes on top of the plates and under the stack of bread & butter plates sitting on top of them).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom