OK... we're in!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura & Charles

Could be anywhere. Originally from Ohio. Go Bucks!
After years of consideration, last June we took possession of and moved into our coach; rented out our sticks and bricks, and committed to try full-timing for a year.  Now tenants are moving out and we're going to take a short break: store the coach, move back into our wheeless home, put some stuff into storage, get rid of a lot more, and get back on the road.  (Hopefully before it gets too hot in Ohio.)
We've also considered trading the coach vs doing some remodeling.  That decision won't be final until we hear some estimates and schedules, but we're leaning toward the latter option. Here comes (I'm sure only round one of) the questions.
We want to remove  sofa, add a recliner, expand kitchen counter and cabinet space, remove dining table and replace with a desk and pull out pantry.  We'd like to to do the Amana upgrade on our four door Dometic refrigerator or replace with a residential model.  Would also like to put up some window awnings over 2 to 4 windows not under our 16' awning.
I know it's a big list and won't be cheap or fast.  But we can't likely trade and find a coach with all things as we want or need and would still have to upfit some.  We're not retired, work full-time remotely.  We've already got a lot of electronics installed on this coach and a significant goal of the remodel plan is to make our work spaces better.
I don't know where to start.  Most of the work is beyond things I'd attempt, so will be paying for the work.  Would I be best off making an appointment with Fleetwood and letting them do it? Would an independent cabinet maker likely bring better craftsmanship to the job?  Pretty certain an RV dealer isn't a viable option, but are there others?

Not sure why you would want to basically gut and remodel a 2011 unless money was absolutely no object.
Agree with Mile High... Trade it in for something that you want.

LauraCharles said:
We want to remove  sofa, add a recliner, expand kitchen counter and cabinet space, remove dining table and replace with a desk and pull out pantry.  We'd like to to do the Amana upgrade on our four door Dometic refrigerator or replace with a residential model.  Would also like to put up some window awnings over 2 to 4 windows not under our 16' awning.

I agree with the last two responses about trading it and getting what you want. However, this list is not so bad. Anyone can remove the sofa and plop a recliner down (easy), removing the dining table (easy), expanding the kitchen counter and cabinet space- drive it to a cabinet shop and show them what you want tell them you will provide the new fridge after they take the old one out and then have them do the cabinet and counter top work to your liking then take out checkbook and satisfy them (easy),once you pick up coach from cabinet guy repeat process at an awning shop that does awnings and interiors etc. Don't forget the checkbook part.! Good luck and happy $pending

Other than the expansion of the kitchen counter and cabinets, that's a fairly typical remodeling list.  Not really a big deal, in my opinion.

Fleetwood doesn't do remodeling, but there are many places that specialize in RV make-overs. Several of them are in/near Decatur, IN, where the Rev Group (Fleetwood) factory is located. From Trees to These and Cruising America RV Service come readily to mind.  Oregon and Florida have some excellent shops too, cabinet shopthat do a lot of RVs. In what region would you like to have the work done? Somebody can probably suggest a shop in that area.

I'm thinking $8k-$15k, depending on how big that kitchen counter & pantry mod may be.  You are probably going to need to re-do the floors as well, since you are making several changes to the "footprint" of cabinets and such.

Thanks all for the suggestions/thoughts/advice!  While we haven't completely ruled out trading, our thinking is a) we'd likely take more of a financial hit trading after only one year than we would remodeling and b) there'd still be at least some modifications to do.
I know it probably sounds like we don't like this floor plan but, in fact, we do.  A better and/safer refrigerator (maybe larger) and more kitchen counter and storage are things we'll always want (is ANY kitchen ever too big?) Office space for two is also something we're not likely to find already existing in another coach.
Someone that can do the cabinetry as near to central Ohio as possible is what I'm hoping to find, but taking it to Indiana wouldn't out of the question.

Personally, if your like the coach you have, I would do the remodel. You know what you have in the coach you got now, if you trade, it's hard to tell what you get, and you would probably want to change it up to be what you want.

Thanks Gary for the reminder about the floors. They weren't part of the wish list, but of course they'll need mated up to the new cabinetry footprint.
Currently have linoleum in kitchen and carpet in salon and cockpit.  Any thoughts about upgrading the kitchen?  I imagine ceramic tile is too much added weight.  Also would consider continuing the kitchen flooring throughout the salon (but probably stay with carpet in cockpit).

but probably stay with carpet in cockpit

We have tile throughout our current motorhome except in the bedroom and really like it.  Carpet in the cockpit has to be cleaned a lot so if you're going to get tile get it there too.  I hated cleaning the carpet all the time in our previous motorhomes and said nevermore!

ArdraF

Don't trade it in - Sell it outright Via RVtrader or the like.

Very few people that step up to a Diesel coach regret it.
There are plenty of Used Diesel Pushers out there.  Even one a few years older than
what you have now might be a great coach that doesn't need any remodeling and has more room.
Most people also comment on how much quieter a DP is compared to a Gas Coach.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do.  Just saying that it might be worth it to at least look at a Used DP.
After selling your coach outright you might be able to get a DP for just a little more - maybe much less than what you would of
spend on remodeling your gas coach.  I doesn't cost much to look and you might be surprised whats out there.

Good Luck with whatever you decide is best for you.

All due respect to all who think our best option is to trade (and we've given lots of consideration and reconsideration to trading), we've decided to keep the Pace and remodel.  We really do like this coach, it's in fantastic shape, and the remodeling we have in mind would need done on anything we'd trade to.
First challenge: remove a sofa bed.  Have not done more than ponder/take measurements and try to plan for this so far... But I cannot fathom how we're going to be able to get this thing out the door.  REALLY don't want to remove the windshield... Ideas/suggestions, please!

LauraCharles said:
All due respect to all who think our best option is to trade (and we've given lots of consideration and reconsideration to trading), we've decided to keep the Pace and remodel.  We really do like this coach, it's in fantastic shape, and the remodeling we have in mind would need done on anything we'd trade to.
First challenge: remove a sofa bed.  Have not done more than ponder/take measurements and try to plan for this so far... But I cannot fathom how we're going to be able to get this thing out the door.  REALLY don't want to remove the windshield... Ideas/suggestions, please!

Most RV sofas are designed to get in and out the door. BUT you will probably have to take it apart to get it out. Often the arms at the end can come off as well as all the cushions, sometimes the back can come off. Once you unbolt it from the floor, flip it over and look for bolts where the pieces are put together.

ken

Thanks Ken.  I figured that would be the case on the sofa.
So we've moved out of the coach.  We've been in it full-time since taking delivery and have never really shut it down before.  Some questions about that:
Besides the remodeling we plan, is there anything we should consider doing maintenance-wise or be aware of to avoid?  Won't need to winterize, but should we consider draining the water lines?  If we disconnect the house batteries, will the tiny solar panel mounted on the AC continue to provide a trickle charge? 
We're hoping to only be out of it for a couple of months and have the option to keep it plugged into 30amp shore power for a bit more $$... so we're considering doing that and leaving everything off except one AC set pretty high just to manage humidity.  Would you'all recommend against that option for any reason?
Thanks again for everybody's thoughts/advice/recommendations/experience!

RedandSilver said:
Don't trade it in - Sell it outright Via RVtrader or the like.

Very few people that step up to a Diesel coach regret it.
There are plenty of Used Diesel Pushers out there.  Even one a few years older than
what you have now might be a great coach that doesn't need any remodeling and has more room.
Most people also comment on how much quieter a DP is compared to a Gas Coach.

If I were going to remodel a coach, I would first start with an older half million dollar DP like a Foretravel.  You can get an early 2000s Foretravel for in the $60k range that looks like new and will last forever.  Or for $30k get an early 90s one with low miles and do what you want to it.  You will still have a much more solid coach than anything made by the more common manufacturers.  Of course, they are so luxurious inside already I can't imagine anyone wanting to do much remodelling anyway.  To me these are the lap of luxury.  They even made gas engine ones if that is your cup of tea.

LauraCharles said:

See if the back will come off.

Back
Top Bottom