Adhesive for Under RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan de La Mesa

Following my own advice on another thread, I was checking to see what I could see under our 2006 Winnebago View. I noticed that there were three places where large wires or maybe tubes were secured to the undercarriage by what appear to be rectangular, flat, black pieces of rubber (or something similar) about 8 x 12 inches. The corners are coming unstuck and beginning to hang down. I'd like to re-secure them and would appreciate a recommendation for an adhesive to use.  Thanks.

Dan

Please note attached inspirational photo tour of the underside of my 2006 View 24'.

The sagging parts are located toward the back of the MH. The first photo is of something that appears maybe to be a sensor(?), and does not hold up any wires as I first thought.

The second photo is the label on the sagging part.

Attachments

• rv tag.jpg
    rv tag.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 81
Oh, well, it didn't include the first photo, the sagging part. Here it is again.

Attachments

• rv sag.jpg
    rv sag.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 91
Ultra Heat tank heating pads. Here 'ya go:

http://www.ultraheat.com/approved-adhesives

Perfect! Thanks for the link. I've printed off their list of adhesives. I'll probably never use those tank heaters, but then again, I can't have them trailing on the ground.

Home Depot had one of the 3M adhesives on the list kdbgoat sent. There's a huge variety of similar adhesives, and I had to read lots of labels to find one that fit. I cleaned both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol as instructed, sprayed both, waited for a few minutes and finally held the surfaces together until my arms dropped off. So far, so good. We'll see if they stay where I put them. Thanks again to those who responded!

I'm glad to know about gorilla tape and researched to learn more about it. The reviews are mixed as to whether or not it will hold up in high temperatures. Several consumers reported that it could melt and be difficult to clean off. The manufacturer says it has an "operating temperature" of 120-150 degrees, and an "intermittent temperature" of 200. Since I don't plan to use the heaters at all, it would probably be fine. It sounds as if RVers might do well to replace their mandatory roll of duct tape with one of gorilla tape. I'm okay for now, but thanks for the suggestion.

I wouldnt tape anythig unless you plan on never selling it. Glue it and tape the edges, once the glue dries remove the tape. It will never be a conversation point when you sell it as to why you half a@# duct taped something.

Excellent point, Triple Slide!

Gaffer tape -- another new (to me) item of interest. There may be more than one kind of gaffer tape, but this was on the Q&A for their website:
Question: Does it withstand sun, high heat, and freezing temps?
Answer: No, it doesn't. Gaffer tape is for temporary use, though maybe a little longer indoors.

Still, good to know about it.

Suretape and 3M have some premium adhesive tapes that could be suitable. Gaffer tape got its name from the 'gaffer' people that set up stuff for movies, TV shows, etc. While I'm a 'fix it properly' guy, adhesive tape does have legitimate uses on an RV. 

My basement AC air ducting at the main elbow has had a variety of duct tape and metal tape patches applied over the years but I finally got tired of that and used mastic and fiberglass mesh tape, maybe that will be a permanent repair.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom