Super Class C Chassis preferences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mishelle

My dear FIL is not computer literate and has tasked me to "research" for him! Ha!  We've learned many things together!  Here is what he wants:  Super class C 30+ ft, recliner/couch and dinette, rear bed (dbl,queen) big shower, outside kitchen, diesel engine, and...  here is the tricky part - chevy or frieghtliner chassis.  Someone told him Ford chassis are crap so he won't even consider them (and they are cheaper)  He really like Dynamax but they are a tad high.  $134,000.  Phantom is great too and price better $120,000  but we can find them within reasonable distance. (Idaho Oregon Arizona)  He was a heavy equipment operator/owner so he likes his "trucks"! 
So wondering if someone can educate me on Chassis type.  "single axle vs spring/coil axle" and what is it that makes ford chassis inferior? Thanks you for any help!

I didn't know that a Ford chassis was inferior, but Chevy chassis haven't been made for a long time, being supplanted by the Workhorse many years ago. But neither Ford nor Workhorse make an RV diesel chassis, that I'm aware of, and Freightliner and Spartan are very common among the class A diesels.

Since I've not looked into the Super Cs I'll have to let others fill that in. You might mention if you're looking at new or used. You also might suggest that a class A diesel will likely ride better and have more room than a Super C of the same length.

Not enough model info to give a clear answer. Dynamax builds the Isata models on For E450 gas or Ram 5500 diesel chassis, or the larger DX3/XL/Force models on the Freightliner M2. I think the Freightliner M2 is the hands-down best choice in that group, but I don't know much about the Ram 5500 medium truck chassis.

Jayco's Seneca Super-C is also on the Freightliner M2.

The Nexus Phantom is on an International (Navistar) TerraStar chassis, another one we seldom hear about in RV circles, so I have no opinion on that either.

Thor's Four Winds brand Super-C is on a Ford F550 diesel chassis. I don't have info that suggests the F550 is crap, but its probably a cut below the Freightliner in price and features. Lots of them in service, though, doing local hauling & delivery, towing, etc.

I didn't come across anybody building a Super-C on the Chevrolet 4500/5500 medium duty chassis, but there may be one somewhere. It's a decent choice with the Duramax diesel and Allison tranny and competitive with the Ford F550 and Ram 5500.  What coach is he looking at that uses that chassis?

I didn't know that a Ford chassis was inferior, but Chevy chassis haven't been made for a long time, being supplanted by the Workhorse many years ago. But neither Ford nor Workhorse make an RV diesel chassis, that I'm aware of, and Freightliner and Spartan are very common among the class A diesels.

Larry,
Workhorse took over the Chevy motorhome chassis but not the rest of the Chevy truck line and Chevrolet continues to build medium duty diesel truck chassis. Ford's F550 chassis is used under some  Super-C motorhomes, but it is not an RV-specific chassis. Neither is the Freightliner M2, which is designed and built as a truck chassis, not a motorhome chassis. The M2 is built by Freightliner Truck rather than Freightliner Custom Chassis - a separate corporation (but sister companies under Daimler Truck North America).

WOW!  Thank you for your informed responses!  All of it was very helpful!!  The Duramax Isata 5 seemed to have the most plentiful stock on the market and suited his needs.  New or used with less than 30k miles.  Also found some Super Nova?s that fit the bill.  I am not sure why he refuses Ford?  from what I read, the 550 was a strong choice.  The Nexus was also a good choice!  I like the A class too!  But he?s not having it?.  I am working to give him as much information as possible so that he can make better informed decisions.  Just as an aside, I read some other posts last night and I have to say that the folks on this forum are VERY kind to sometimes young and na?ve posters!  Even supportive!  I am very impressed!!!  Warmed My heart!!!!

His bad reports about Ford may have come from when they were using the 6.0 and 6.4 engines. The newer 6.7 is a whole different animal. That's assuming that is what Ford put in them.

I thought the Isata 5 came on the Ram 5500 chassis, which has a Cummins 6.7L diesel. Is there a version on the Chevy Kodiak chassis using the Duramax as well? I didn't see it on the Dynomax website, but all-too-often often the web site is out of sync with actual production.

yes it was a Dodge and apparently acceptable to him  ;)  He looked it over but now that I think about it, I don't think he test drove it.....

About the ford, good point...  His info may be related to older coaches.... 

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
Larry,
Workhorse took over the Chevy motorhome chassis but not the rest of the Chevy truck line and Chevrolet continues to build medium duty diesel truck chassis. Ford's F550 chassis is used under some  Super-C motorhomes, but it is not an RV-specific chassis. Neither is the Freightliner M2, which is designed and built as a truck chassis, not a motorhome chassis. The M2 is built by Freightliner Truck rather than Freightliner Custom Chassis - a separate corporation (but sister companies under Daimler Truck North America).

Thanks, Gary. I guess I tend to forget that the Super C is a truck chassis, rather than a motorhome chassis. I'm constantly learning, which is a good thing, and is one of many things I love about this site.

Does anyone know about the TerraStar International chassis with Maxx Force 7 engine.from Nexus? I talked to an International dealer, and they said something about it was good for 10 years, but at about 200,00 mile, you would have problems. They suggested the Cummins 325hp.
Modify message

The MaxxForce 7 has had its share of problems (it started life as the Ford 6.0L Powerstroke) and is not one of the better-regarded engines, so yes the Cummins is probably a better choice. That doesn't make the MaxxForce a show stopper, though. Few motorhomes get driven anywhere near 20k miles/year (6k is an average according to the RVIA), so a 200k engine isn't all that terrible in an RV, whereas it would be awful in a commercial truck.

Overall, though, I would much prefer the Freightliner M2 chassis for a 35 ft Super-C.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom