1992 fleetwood wilderness 22ft leaking again !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alan6051964

Well crap !. seems my roof repair did not last as long as I had figured ?. seems my siding on the rear upper end had holes in it ?, aluminum rust out ?..just wow !..lol. and after closer inspection, whoever installed the awning on this 1992 camper musta been drinking ?!. when they screwed the awning on the side, instead of bolting the top cap lag screws over the gutter rail like they should have !, they ran the lag screws right on top of the gutter rail where the water would seep through the lag screws when water was running down either end. soooo, the repair saga continues !. great, I was nearing a planned trip, getting everything checked, all was good except the stupid fridge, which was DOA !. already replaced the cooling unit awhile back, circuit board, still won't cool worth a crap, decided to just buy a new fridge, be done with it. now I find a leak in the back, AGAIN !..lol. now all my brand new roof panels, rubber roof, inside roof panel is bad. story of my life !.lol. I am going to TRY MIND YOU !, save the new rubber roofing I just installed, and just replace the upper end siding with what I hope matches the old siding ?, and roof panel, and ceiling panel inside. NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS !.  Getting a lot of rain here today, can't do much for now, cept wait it out for warmer/dryer weather. have more rain headed in this weekend, guess for now I will just put a tarp or something over it. I will take pic's of this tear down, and post as I go. I was not looking forward to this, but, it has to be done, and I don't have the cash to fork out to an rv place to do it, leaves my old 53 butt to tackle it again on my own..lol. like the other member here that has the lemon rebuild ?, I deff feel for ya !.                                                       

That was us...we also suspected leak issue above the awning and also the gutter rail. There was a crack along both, some area with quite a gap. We ended up putting sealant all the way down both seams so water couldn't get in and then follow the screws and seep into the wall. We ended up removing the back ladder as well as the decorative chair rail on the roof in the back. We patched those areas on the rubber roof. The back ladder appeared to be allowing water in. The interior bolts on one side were so rusted they were wasting away.  We too were limited by a budget so had to do it ourselves. The rain storms makes it worst.
Flex & Jen

BikerFlex&HappyJen said:
That was us...we also suspected leak issue above the awning and also the gutter rail. There was a crack along both, some area with quite a gap. We ended up putting sealant all the way down both seams so water couldn't get in and then follow the screws and seep into the wall. We ended up removing the back ladder as well as the decorative chair rail on the roof in the back. We patched those areas on the rubber roof. The back ladder appeared to be allowing water in. The interior bolts on one side were so rusted they were wasting away.  We too were limited by a budget so had to do it ourselves. The rain storms makes it worst.
Flex & Jen
hey !, yeah, I figured you would catch this..lol. who's the dummy who thought it was a good idea to run lag bolts on top of the awning gutter rail ??..lmaooo. they need to be tar and feathered !!!. how dumb can ya get..right ?.  anyway, been going back over my roof from front to back, and have decided to do as I said above ^^^, I am going to TRY to save my brand new rubber roof, and peel it back ?, not sure how well this is going to work yet ?, if I can get it done ?, then  won't need to rip all that  new roof off, if I can't get the back section peeled back without to much trouble with the rubber sticking to the bad panel ?, then it will call for me ripping all off, starting from scratch...sigh. another 550 bucks, but sure beats letting a dealer do it !. will update as I get into it. hang in there bikerflex@happyjen !!.

Small update: after searching around locally, no one has any siding that matches my 1992 Fleetwood wilderness. I did find an old terry at a local rv repair place, man said, '' check that back row fence line for what your looking for ''. great, off I went, located an old 5th wheel, rear was nothing like mine, but the siding pattern was the same !. after checking out the front cap, there is a 24in wide, 8ft long piece !, cept, IT HAD TERRY ON IT..LOL. it's a decal, they come off, asked the man how much, he said ''what's it worth to ya '' ?, I said..how about 20 bucks ?, he agreed, I removed it. with a hair dryer, about 20 min's, decal pulled off, cleaned the panel up, couple coats of white spray paint...good as new !. can't start the tear down yet ?, still bad weather ( rain ) moving in here in Arkansas, I will try to get started Monday, and see if I can get anything done ?. I am not looking forward to having to pull my brand new rubber roof back off !?, but if it's what I have to do to save this old girl ?, so be it !. she looks great on the inside, and not bad at all on the outside, it's this stupid roof and awning that is kicking my butt !. I will try my best to keep everyone up to date on my progress if anyone is interested :).

roof all done, new awning installed, a little washing, all new lights all around the outside. just need a new fridge, and 5 new tires, lol. had to replace the rear upper siding, it was bad, not a perfect match color wise ?, but good enough :).

Attachments

• , awning installed.JPG
    , awning installed.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 1992 fleetwood wilderness front rigth view.JPG
    1992 fleetwood wilderness front rigth view.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 1992 fleetwood wilderness rear view.JPG
    1992 fleetwood wilderness rear view.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 31
butchiiii said:
Looks good  :))
thank you very much !, she's old, but i'm a happy camper..pun intended..lol. I will get some pics of the inside here shorty, and post them up. I had to gut the whole front end, and start from scratch.

Here is the inside. front completely gutted, and rebuilt, mind you, I know nothing of campers ?, so I winged it !..lol. I put down a wooden entry, laid the carpet ( was left over from my house getting new carpet ). made my dinette table from 3/4 oak, a few good thick coats of clear coat/stain. oh, and added my own cd player :).

Attachments

• DSCN2191.JPG
    DSCN2191.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN2192.JPG
    DSCN2192.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN2190.JPG
    DSCN2190.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN2194.JPG
    DSCN2194.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN2193.JPG
    DSCN2193.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2196.JPG
    DSCN2196.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN2197.JPG
    DSCN2197.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN2195.JPG
    DSCN2195.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 31
Very nice!  :)) My only concern would be added weight with all that real wood. It probably wouldn't hurt to run it across some scales just to check.

Will this work Tom?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGFQblszKP9KBizsxE1qTUYN4Bdx7Y5Eb-QrFQHFRjG7kTfnT9Wg
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPe3BCQ_cTUHYl0-gZW--8YvoG1Z22M33cwqunUtRutrShoQzp

kdbgoat said:
Very nice!  :)) My only concern would be added weight with all that real wood. It probably wouldn't hurt to run it across some scales just to check.
the walls are lauon ( may not be spelled right ? ), the table is just 3/4 veneered plywwod, not heavy at all. the front door is 1/4 thick strips you lay in a house. I really don't think I added much weight. even the roof that I replaced with 3/8 plywood is thinner than what I pulled off, it was 5/8 !..lol. if anything, I gave my camper a diet ?!..lol. and thank you for the kind words :).

thank you all for your kind words !. I still need to get my fridge and tires ?, but the hard work I think has paid off !.

would like to add: if anyone was/is having thoughts on how to protect your awning from the weather ?. I looked on youtube, and seen where a man went to homedepot, paid like 16 bucks for two 8' vinyl home gutters, and 1 connector to join them, they snap right over your awning, and work great !. this is what I installed on mine in the pics^^. the down side ?..YOU CAN NOT DRIVE DOWN THE ROAD WITH THEM ON !...LOL. please remove them BEFORE you leave your spot !. but for sitting up/storage ?..out in the open ?, they work great, sure protects your high dollar awning fabric !.

small update: ran water on my roof, as well had a small down pour here sense I got the roof re-done for the second time !..lol. no leaks...YET !..LOL. got my dometic Americana plus 6.0 cu ft fridge on order, be a few days before I get that in. still need to get the camper moved over to my carport (in front of it ), then I can get all the tires off, and new tires back on. still have not decided if I want to take this time to flip my axles ?, just not sure I want to bring this 4200lb trailer up any higher than it is ?. I will keep this updated if I do decide to flip the axles.

alan6051964 said:
small update: ran water on my roof, as well had a small down pour here sense I got the roof re-done for the second time !..lol. no leaks...YET !..LOL. got my dometic Americana plus 6.0 cu ft fridge on order, be a few days before I get that in. still need to get the camper moved over to my carport (in front of it ), then I can get all the tires off, and new tires back on. still have not decided if I want to take this time to flip my axles ?, just not sure I want to bring this 4200lb trailer up any higher than it is ?. I will keep this updated if I do decide to flip the axles.

While swapping out the tires, it would be a good time to check the brake shoes and repack the bearings.

Rene T said:
While swapping out the tires, it would be a good time to check the brake shoes and repack the bearings.
yep !, already got that on the to-do-list !, but thank you for reminding me :).

got my new dometic fridge in in trailer yesterday, oh what fun it is to get a brand new fridge 27 inches up to slide in the front door ?!, then I had to raise it another 14 inches to slide it back into the opening. had to stack 2x4's back and forth until I was about level , then slid it back in the hole. worked pretty good. with me by myself, I have to '' make do''..lol. only thing I had to do to fit it, was remove the top face frame, raise it up, raise the fabric cloth board up, fasten it all back together. I lined the walls with 3/8 foam board all around the fridge. installed a trim piece along the bottom front, turned out great.

Attachments

• DSCN2200.JPG
    DSCN2200.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN2199.JPG
    DSCN2199.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN2202.JPG
    DSCN2202.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN2201.JPG
    DSCN2201.JPG