Looking for advice on trailer towing capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lacotom

Hey folks, just joined here and am looking for advice. We have a 2016 Nissan NV 3500HD SL. I don't think there are any special options on it other than it's a V-8. Standard factory suspension and all. The sticker on the B post says I have a GVWR of 9,430 lbs. If we typically have 7-9 passengers with a combined passenger weight of  1,000 - 1,200 lbs, and we were to bring another couple hundred lbs of junk, what generally then would we want to consider as far as a reasonable weight on the trailer?

Thank you!

Tom

You need to fully load your van up with family and stuff and drive to the nearest set of scales.  This will give you a loaded ready to travel weight.  Sibtract that from the vans GVWR number you just posted.  The result is how much you have left over for hitch weight.  Remember a TT will place approx 12-15% of its loaded weight on the TV as hitch weight.  As long as the trailera hitch, and not dry hitch, weight falls under your available load carrying capacity you shouls be OK.  But there are still a lot of IFs.

Did a quick search (on the vehicle you have) and saw a MAX Trailer weight of 8700lbs.

That is very likely with one driver in the vehicle.

So if you have over 1000 lbs. of passengers that would bring down the possible weight of the trailer to 7700 lbs.
That's just one example of how the weight you could carry would be reduced.

donn gave good advice - load the vehicle with full fuel and passengers and any other stuff and get it weighed.
Then you have to add the weight of the trailer hitch which could be 600-800 lbs. 

If you truly have 7-9 people with you and the MAX trailer is 8700 I'm afraid that your not going to find much that will be
large enough for that many people that you can tow.

And what ever you do - don't believe a salesman that says you will be fine and can tow that with no problems.
They need to make a sale and after you have bought it - it would be on you that you didn't check it out first.

It's Good that your asking questions now BEFORE you get something.  You need to know that most vans are not the best vehicle
for towing large trailers - safely.  Do your homework - get the van weighed - then you will know for sure what you can really tow vs. guessing.

FYI, I had about the same overall capacity but mentally I approached it differently. I looked for the lightest weight trailer that would fill our needs (and be reasonable quality). Figured it would be best to have as much towing power as possible with as little weight as possible so I don't run into any issues, instead of pushing right to the limit, if that makes sense. Just something to keep in mind.

RedandSilver said:
Did a quick search (on the vehicle you have) and saw a MAX Trailer weight of 8700lbs.

If you truly have 7-9 people with you and the MAX trailer is 8700 I'm afraid that your not going to find much that will be
large enough for that many people that you can tow.

And what ever you do - don't believe a salesman that says you will be fine and can tow that with no problems.
They need to make a sale and after you have bought it - it would be on you that you didn't check it out first.

It's Good that your asking questions now BEFORE you get something.  You need to know that most vans are not the best vehicle
for towing large trailers - safely.  Do your homework - get the van weighed - then you will know for sure what you can really tow vs. guessing.

First, Welcome to the Forum!

The 8700 # Max Towing MUST be reduced by every pound added to the base vehicle, including most options, all passengers (300# allowed for driver and 1 passenger) and all cargo carried in the vehicle.  We are already down to 7600 # GROSS TRAILER WEIGHT.

This is why to never to believe a salesman.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,90933.0.html

Thank you so much for asking before purchase!

There is a yellow label on the driver door latch pillar (a different label than the GVWR label) which will give the max weight THAT vehicle can carry based on GVWR and actual weight as it left the factory.  Find that number, then subtract 1200 # passengers, 200 # misc and 80# for WD hitch.  What is left is the maximum tongue or hitch weight you can carry.  This will be 10% - 12% of the ACTUAL TRAILER WEIGHT as loaded.  It has nothing to do with dry wt or hitch wt found on the trailer spec sheet.  We can go into where those came from if you care, but they are worthless for determining if you can tow that trailer.

Assuming 10% hitch wt, take the max hitch wt determined above X 10.  This is the most GVWR TT you can tow.  Assuming 12.5% hitch wt, multiply by 8 for max GVWR.

I doubt you will like the result.  Again, thank you for coming here first, and please be safe.

One other option is to take two vehicles camping, one to haul people and one to tow the trailer.

Back
Top Bottom