Driving through Salt Lake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sibermom

We will be driving our rig (28' TT) through Salt Lake City this June. Will that be an easy pass or more of a nightmare?

Hi - only been there once but we drove through and it was busy but not any different than being on the highway really apart from some traffic lights.  If stopping make sure you have room to turn would be my advice as we went for a Starbucks and struggled with the parking. 

I'm sure others will have better info though.....  safe travels.

You did not mention if you are going north/south or east/west or whatever. If you drive through any major city it is best to do so around noon time and not during rush hour. 215 will probably be your best route.

Assume that because you're just passing through Salt Lake City you will be on freeways.  Not a problem unless you hit rush hour or construction.  The best way to check road construction in cities is on various state websites.  You often can check by road number to see where the construction bottlenecks are located.  Salt Lake City has a pretty good freeway system.  If you go on to city streets they have a light rail system that can sometimes make turns a bit more difficult; sometimes it's better to go around the block.

ArdraF

There is a wonderful app from the Utah DOT that shows road conditions, construction, accidents, and camera locations. I highly recommend it. As long as you go through SLC between 9 and 3 you won't have any issues unless there is a wreck. Going north or south, just take I-15 straight through. No reason to take the loop road (I-215). on I-80, look at a map and take I-84 instead of I-80 to get over the Wasatch Mountains on the east side of town. The grade is significantly less. It is a windy road with a 55 mph speed limit for trucks in most of it, but it is much easier on your vehicle whether going up hill or down.

Jim Fitz said:
Going east out of SLC on I-80 is a pretty steep and long up grade.  Take it easy.
Yup, don't do it unless you need to go to Park City. Take I-15 north to I-84. Not really out of the way and a much easier drive.

Last time we went thru SLC, we were going north.  It was a Sunday about 11:00 AM.  Very light traffic and no problems.  Just north of the city, the interstate was closed for an accident but we were using google maps and the closure was automatically re-routed to bypass the closure.

Been north and south through SLC a few times in May. Timing is everything. Commute traffic sucks. Figure normal commute times but expand them plus or minus 2 hours.. So TRY for weekends. If your timing doesn't work then try 10 am to 2 pm for the entire area. No real reason to take the bypass.....

If traveling N/S thru SLC, I take exception with the above comments to ignore using I 215 (SLC bypass).

Consider the Legacy Parkway! It is 13 miles of toll fee (no HOV lane) road that 18 wheelers are prohibited on! Local delivery, small work trucks and RV's are OK.  Now, it IS posted 55MPH however if you gon't do 65 you will get run over. Drive that speed at your own risk! Also there is smaller # of on/off ramps and less traffic than I 15! After driving 1/2 the length of the Wasatch Front I find the Legacy a welcome and relaxing relief for a few miles!

South Bound- I forgot the exit # but as your are approaching the Farmington/Lagoon amusement park exit get in the right lanes. It is well marked. In the Bringham City area there is a Visitor Center to obtain up to date maps and information.

North bound- take I 215 bypass,  shortly after you pass the I 80/SLC Airport exit move to the Left lane. I 215 will make a right turn to head east and join I 15. You will continue straight ahead from the left lane onto the Legacy Parkway.

We use 215 and Legacy whether going north or south. Seems to be less traffic and road construction.

Drive it North and South every year and no issues - try and avoid rush hour - I go straight through - 215 is Ok but not really needed if just passing through - do not stay in the very right lane - it exits occasionally and when traffic is heavy can be hard to get over - get in the 2nd to right and press on...

Never had a problem - actually seems to be more traffic in Provo so if heading South you will still have traffic past Point of the Mountain.

Good Luck

Jim

We have driven I-15 N & S every year since 2011.  No problems.  There is traffic, but little or no construction.  Traffic runs 65-70mph, but staying in the 2nd from the right lane at 60-62mph works fine for us. It is interstate, traffic so it is not fun or relaxing.  It is just interstate traffic in a city.  We have always planned our travels so we don't hit rush hour traffic. 

I drive it weekly and my wife drives it daily.  Pretty much stay between about 9:00am and 3:00pm and you will be fine unless there is an accident.  Even construction isn't bad during those times. 

In my opinion, south of SLC in Utah County (Orem/Provo) is worse than actual Salt Lake City traffic on I-15.  That is because of all of the mini-vans with their 8.3 kids in the back seat and the mother on the phone merging on the interstate at 40 MPH then to realize she needs to speed up and starts to slow down a half mile before the off-ramp.  In case you haven't noticed I have an issue with Utah County driver's, they all suck. ::)  We should be able to earn prizes for running those idiots off the road. ;D

Interstate signs are very well marked and give plenty of notice. 

One thing I suggest is watch the signage for interstate sections stating no trailer towing or vehicles over 20k pounds in left two lanes.  They are serious about that. :-\

Mike.

Lots of good info here. I'm planning a trip thru SLC north to south in July. Seems to be a few locals or knowledgeable folks here, so if it's not too much of a hijack, would like to know if its feasible to cross from I15 to I70 over Soldier Summit on rt 6, or should I continue south to US 50 and cross thru Salina.

sadixon49 said:
Lots of good info here. I'm planning a trip thru SLC north to south in July. Seems to be a few locals or knowledgeable folks here, so if it's not too much of a hijack, would like to know if its feasible to cross from I15 to I70 over Soldier Summit on rt 6, or should I continue south to US 50 and cross thru Salina.
We drive that route regularly with the setup in my signature. With the rig in your signature I don't think you will have any problem. It is a fairly long grade with curves, but if you can drive in mountains you will be fine. Just take it easy going down. BTW, don't worry about the idiots that speed around you, and there definitely will be some. Just do what you are comfortable with.

We drive Hwy6 a lot and don't have any issues.  We flat tow our Jeep behind the coach and until we sold our trailer we towed our 26' enclosed race trailer through the canyon as well without any issues whatsoever.  Pretty good highway actually, just let the idiots pass you at their own risk and drive your lane.

There is also a pretty cool rest area around mile marker 200 that has some old trains in the back that is easy to get in/out of if you need a resting spot.

Mike.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearl Constance de_la She
Back
Top Bottom