EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Checking the toad wiring after installation  (Read 218 times)

fandblaj

Checking the toad wiring after installation
« on: April 27, 2017, 04:43:04 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask a technical question but here goes.
I've just installed a base plate and wiring kit on my chevy Equinox but I'm not sure how to test it without the RV ( which I don't have yet) being attached. I also have a trailer hitch on this Equinox which I can test by going through the motions of driving the car. I thought the same signals would be at the front connector, but no.
Is there a way to check if the lights on my toad a working right without the towing vehicle being connected?

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
Re: Checking the toad wiring after installation
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 07:25:16 PM »
Get a 12V power supply ( battery ).  Connect the NEG terminal to the Ground on the harness.  Touch the POS lead to the three light terminals.  Have an observer verify all works.

If this is a simple Flat 4 prong harness, the ground will be the covered lead on the toad harness.  The 3 exposed leads are the three light circuits.

If a 6 or 7 prong harness, we will wait for someone smarter than me to respond.  The procedure is the same, but I am not sure of the pin designations.
Preacher Gordon
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS - not yet received
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
Re: Checking the toad wiring after installation
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 07:09:18 AM »
Ok what type of tow connector do you have?  Flat 4 or a round one.

On the flat 4

One "pin" is different,  this is ground

The one next to it is Tail lights
The other two are Stop/Turn  In order left and Right (the 4th pin)  You can use a small 12 volt battery, or better yet a Jump Start pack (Harbor Fright has 'em on sale just now..) 

I like a Jump pack with at least 900 Peak Amps but for many RV uses a smaller one is ok (They can power a portable radio, a computer via a 12 volt power DC-DC converter, a portable fan, and other things even if the smaller ones will not start a motorcycle.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Hosted by Over The Network