Checking the toad wiring after installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fandblaj

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask a technical question but here goes.
I've just installed a base plate and wiring kit on my chevy Equinox but I'm not sure how to test it without the RV ( which I don't have yet) being attached. I also have a trailer hitch on this Equinox which I can test by going through the motions of driving the car. I thought the same signals would be at the front connector, but no.
Is there a way to check if the lights on my toad a working right without the towing vehicle being connected?

Get a 12V power supply ( battery ).  Connect the NEG terminal to the Ground on the harness.  Touch the POS lead to the three light terminals.  Have an observer verify all works.

If this is a simple Flat 4 prong harness, the ground will be the covered lead on the toad harness.  The 3 exposed leads are the three light circuits.

If a 6 or 7 prong harness, we will wait for someone smarter than me to respond.  The procedure is the same, but I am not sure of the pin designations.

Ok what type of tow connector do you have?  Flat 4 or a round one.

On the flat 4

One "pin" is different,  this is ground

The one next to it is Tail lights
The other two are Stop/Turn  In order left and Right (the 4th pin)  You can use a small 12 volt battery, or better yet a Jump Start pack (Harbor Fright has 'em on sale just now..) 

I like a Jump pack with at least 900 Peak Amps but for many RV uses a smaller one is ok (They can power a portable radio, a computer via a 12 volt power DC-DC converter, a portable fan, and other things even if the smaller ones will not start a motorcycle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom