RV in western Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John97031

Looking at options for May and September RV trips. Thinking of heading north on I-5 to Canada. Probably entering Canada in Abbotsford. Then heading east re-entering the US around Glacier NP. Any tips, recommendations, must see places, must stay areas or recomnended roads?  Is May too early? Early September better?

I would take exit 276 and enter at the Pacific truck crossing then continue to highway 1 through Cloverdale and Aldergrove. Easier than highway 9 to Abbotsford. Now you have some options. You could stay on 1 through the Fraser canyon to Cache Creek then east, a very scenic drive. Highway 5 (Coquihalla) is beautiful and more direct but involves some stiff grades. Highway 3 is also a very scenic drive if you are ok with some short but steep grades and twisty sections. There are a number of nice campgrounds along the river east of Princeton and Osoyoos Lake is outstanding although a little cool for swimming in May.  Castlegar and Nelson are full of mining history and home to the descendants of the Russian Doukhabors that settled the area in the early 20th century, a colorful group. A free ferry ride takes you further east to the Crowsnest Pass and Waterton and Glacier Parks.

If you enjoy hot springs, there are several in the Nakusp and Kootenay areas. I would suggest taking Hwy 3 to Hwy 97 and then North along Okanagan Lake to Vernon and Hwy 6 to Nakusp. There are many beautiful lakes along this route. You could then either continue on Hwy 6 south through Slocan to Nelson or go over Hwy 31A to Kaslo. Either way you could still take the free ferry east to Crowsnest Pass.

There are a few different scenic routes from Abbotsford to Waterton/Glacier but the Coquihalla certainly wouldn't be my first choice for that portion of the trip.

Between May and September, I'd choose September but you might need reservations. May will be quieter.

Enjoy!

Get off the interstate Ben Stone!  Sorry could not resist that line from a movie.  If your coming north from California, at Weed pick up US97 north.  Beautiful stress free drive thru Central Oregon,Washington.  Cross the border and your in the heart of BC wine country.  Lots of RV parks and dozens of wineries to visit.  From there you can head east all you want.

donn said:
Get off the interstate Ben Stone!  Sorry could not resist that line from a movie.  If your coming north from California, at Weed pick up US97 north.  Beautiful stress free drive thru Central Oregon,Washington.  Cross the border and your in the heart of BC wine country.  Lots of RV parks and dozens of wineries to visit.  From there you can head east all you want.

Thanks Donn, but why would you assume I'm coming from Calif? Actually from Hood River. But you are right. I used to drive between Calif and Hood River every year. US 97 is way better than I-5. Even better now that they increaded the speed limit...

Then 97 is by far the route of choice unless you like the horrendous traffic known as SeaTac.  Be sure to head east on I90 and take the eastern route north past dry falls and if possible catch the laser light show at Grand Coulee dam.

Back
Top Bottom