Canada way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molaker

We're planning a trip out west and hope to make a loop up into Canada, possibly up I-15 and up to Calgary.  Timeframe will be about the last week of May.  What is Cn Hwy 1 like across the mountains to Kamloops in late May?

Watch the weather reports, it should be ok but conditions can and do change quickly. Keep the speed down too, frost heaves and pot holes are common and may not be marked. Unless you have a particular reason to go to Calgary I would suggest highway 22 rather than 2, it is much more scenic and the pace is not hectic.

Not exactly answering your question but recommend going through the Okanagan Valley if you are heading to Kamloops. It's a beautiful area!

RoyM said:
Watch the weather reports, it should be ok but conditions can and do change quickly. Keep the speed down too, frost heaves and pot holes are common and may not be marked. Unless you have a particular reason to go to Calgary I would suggest highway 22 rather than 2, it is much more scenic and the pace is not hectic.

Thanks, Roy.  I'm accustomed to pot holes, so I'll keep an eye open.  I sure don't want to ruin my brand new tires.  22 does look more like our kind of road.  Calgary was just a waypoint anyway.

Lisa said:
Not exactly answering your question but recommend going through the Okanagan Valley if you are heading to Kamloops. It's a beautiful area!

Thanks, Lisa.  I'd love to take on the Okanagan Valley, but I'm afraid it won't fit in our time constraints.  I hate time constraints, but I have to be home for a Dr appointment which tags the end of our trip.

Most mountain passes have webcams on them. Do a search on the web to see up to date pictures of the pass or hwy. I found this helpful last winter when we were in Kelowna. Not sure if they get snow up there in May, but checking the webcams and provincial highway conditions sites should allow you to make informed decisions on your route. Welcome to Canada eh.

muskoka guy said:
Most mountain passes have webcams on them. Do a search on the web to see up to date pictures of the pass or hwy. I found this helpful last winter when we were in Kelowna. Not sure if they get snow up there in May, but checking the webcams and provincial highway conditions sites should allow you to make informed decisions on your route. Welcome to Canada eh.
What a great tool...as long as we can get Internet access.  How does Verizon work up there?

Back
Top Bottom