Bad Brake Controller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoss10

I have an issue with corrosion on my truck trailer plug.  The last one, replaced last year was 10 years old and corroded (blue build up) and took out the brake pin.  This year I noticed the same thing has happened on the replacement.  Am I correct in assuming it might have something to do with the brake controller.  The controller is an old basic model and I was going to replace it anyway.  What would be a good replacement?
Thanks for the help.
Ted

No.  The problem stems from loose dirty connections.  Get yourself a can of contact cleaner and use it.  Then, very carefully using a small screw driver gently pry the contacts closed so that it makes a tighter fit.

The odd thing about it being a contact issue is that the corrosion seems to happen when the trailers are not hitched.  I did not tow all winter and it was corroded in the spring.

On the truck end, could it be exposure to road dirt & salt during the off-season? It's also possible that there is some slight current leakage once some dirt builds up. Some of the pins on the truck end are "hot" whenever the truck tail lights, turn signals, or brake lights are on, and dirt/moisture can bridge across to the ground pin.  Or it might just be a low-quality receptacle that corroded easily.

I highly recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy (P-series) controllers. Perhaps the P2 or P3 model.
http://www.tekonsha.com/products/brake-controllers/proportional-controllers/trailer-brake-control-proportional/TzaIxkVx1cI5XOy!osRB52uqDvaehMa!

X 100 on the P3 unit.

I just replaced the break controller that the PO left in my MH with the P3 that I used with my SUV.

I have brackets in both vehicles so I can switch if I ever want to - but I expect to pull the trailer with the MH most of the time.

Until they come out with something better - I would only replace my P3 with another P3 - I like it that much compared to anything else I've seen.

What are the differences between this model Tekonsha https://www.amazon.ca/Tekonsha-90160-Primus-Electronic-Control/dp/B001P11SCM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493599651&sr=8-2&keywords=tekonsha+prodigy+p3 and the Prodigy P2 or 3?

Up here in Canada these things can get expensive but if it's the worth extra money then safety is important.

This the model I have now. https://www.amazon.ca/Tekonsha-9030-Voyager-Electronic-Control/dp/B000UUKMLC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1493600021&sr=8-8&keywords=tekonsha+prodigy+p3

Once you look at the P3 things will be very clear.

It shows a LOT more info than any other controller out there - that I have seen.

It can be set for single, double or triple axles, it shows the voltage going to the brakes, and there is a boost feature too.

Just get the P3 and you will never regret it and will be glad you have the best unit to safely stop your trailer -
What more could you ask for?  Is it worth a few bucks to buy older technology?  I don't believe that you will find anyone
that will tell you I wish I hadn't spent so much on the P3 and got the cheaper unit.  But I bet you will find others that wish they
had spent the little extra, for the best unit out there.  JMO.

I was afraid someone would say that

Pricing is bizarre up here the P3 is 3 times the price of the of the Prodigy, $244 vs. $84, while the P2 is "only" $144.  U.S. pricing makes all 3 units only slightly more expensive then each other!

I have a Primus IQ that I have used in two different trucks,and will be going in our Ford Explorer soon. It works just fine. The P3 may have more features, but the IQ works great for what I needed.

hoss10 said:

Pricing is bizarre up here the P3 is 3 times the price of the of the Prodigy, $244 vs. $84, while the P2 is "only" $144.  U.S. pricing makes all 3 units only slightly more expensive then each other!

Somewhat off the topic, but here goes.  The P3 $117 on Amazon and just bought one to replace my old controller.  Is it legal for a US citizen to buy a controller and mail to Canada to help a fellow RVer save some money?  We seem to promote Framily here, so would this be wrong?

Technically, if somebody ships it to you,  you are still liable for any import duties that might apply. Maybe none.

But the Primus IQ is a solid choice. The P3 is more elegant in its display capability and features, and the P2 a little less so, but the IQ has all the main features, e.g. solid state accelerometers, self-leveling, and self-diagnosis of the brake system. If you can get the IQ at a better price, go for it.

kjansen said:
Somewhat off the topic, but here goes.  The P3 $117 on Amazon and just bought one to replace my old controller.  Is it legal for a US citizen to buy a controller and mail to Canada to help a fellow RVer save some money?  We seem to promote Framily here, so would this be wrong?

What Gary said is correct sometimes things pass through  customs ( USPS to Canadian Mail) with no charge other times there is a 10.00 dollar service fee and taxes.  If a Courier is used there are usually fees and brokerage charges which can be more then the items cost!  So much for free trade!

Pricing can be bizarre (as in the P3).  I think it has to do with supply and demand and if there are any Canadian Distributors for a product.  With 10 times our population consumers in the US tend to get very good pricing on goods.
One of the "joys" of living in the north!

How do you protect the trailer connector when not in use?

I have this plastic housing mounted to the trailer hitch frame to protect the connector.

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/parts/products/trailer-wiring-harness-plug-cover-7-round-55-8858?gclid=CNvA04-Zz9MCFRJXDQodjwMKIw

hoss10 said:

Well that stinks that it is so much more there in Canada.

Are you planning a trip to the USA anytime soon?  I could buy one and you could come over (I'm in MI) and I would install it free.  ;D
But the fuel to get to the USA might be more then the $100 or so to get the better unit.

I know it's your money and decision but Again I would go with the P3 no questions about it.  But you may not think it's worth it if your not
the type of guy that likes to see detailed info along with the best controller available.  If all you want is a controller to stop the trailer then
one of the other units should be alright. Just won't be able to fine tune it as much.

kjansen said:
I'm sure I saw somewhere that if you post a parcel, and put a note on it saying return of lost property you can avoid import duties. Not that I am,advocating such a thing.

Lynx0849 said:
How do you protect the trailer connector when not in use?

I have this plastic housing mounted to the trailer hitch frame to protect the connector.

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/parts/products/trailer-wiring-harness-plug-cover-7-round-55-8858?gclid=CNvA04-Zz9MCFRJXDQodjwMKIw

I will have to get one of these.

Thanks for the kind offers to get one for me in the States.  I decided to go with the Prodigy not as good as the P3 but much better then what I have now.  At $80.00 Canadian it was actually cheaper in Canada then the US, were the P3 was a hundred dollars more!

Just an update.  I installed the Prodigy and towed for the first time yesterday (horse trailer not the RV)  what a difference from the old unit we had.  Easy to set and it works very well.  I am very pleased thanks everyone for the help.

Back
Top Bottom