Haggis and stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[quote author=catblaster]I've been hooked on Scotch eggs lately.......just cant seem to get enough of them.[/quote]

My better half makes them often for potlucks and other eating events, sliced and served with 'poo poo mustard', and they're always a hit. One California colleague who attended a get together at a 'British pub' in CA, asked for "eggs with the stuff around"  :(

I smile when I hear them referred to as "Scotched eggs" or "Scottish eggs".

Love grits and fried eggs. Grits and shrimp. Also love black pudding with a nice runny fried egg.

One time in the 80's while in New Orleans, my colleagues convinced me to try grits. If I never see or eat grits again, I'll be a happy dude.

Tom said:
If I never see or eat grits again, I'll be a happy dude.

If you're referring to the thin, white, runny, bland grits like Waffle House serves, understand. But if you haven't tasted them, give smoked cheese grits a try. Salmon on cheese grits is pretty darn good.

One would think though that a guy who likes haggis and black pudding would eat pretty much anything  ;)

... like Waffle House serves ...

I've never been to a Waffle House.

One would think though that a guy who likes haggis and black pudding would eat pretty much anything

I've never eaten haggis  ;)

Rene T said:
How about Tennents Lager brewed in Glasgow Scotland.

My dad used to drink it from tins with dollybirds on the side. It was my first beer. It's not very good! The microbreweries in the US are fabulous though. ?

Tom said:
My better half makes them often for potlucks and other eating events, sliced and served with 'poo poo mustard', and they're always a hit. One California colleague who attended a get together at a 'British pub' in CA, asked for "eggs with the stuff around"  :(

I smile when I hear them referred to as "Scotched eggs" or "Scottish eggs".

They're not something that I had growing up. I guess the word Scotch gives it away as that usually means it's got not a lot to do with Scotland.

Sun2Retire said:
If you're referring to the thin, white, runny, bland grits like Waffle House serves, understand. But if you haven't tasted them, give smoked cheese grits a try. Salmon on cheese grits is pretty darn good.

One would think though that a guy who likes haggis and black pudding would eat pretty much anything  ;)

Sounds like you have to add stuff to get them to taste of anything ??

Tom said:
One time in the 80's while in New Orleans, my colleagues convinced me to try grits. If I never see or eat grits again, I'll be a happy dude.

you should try this at least once. I make it every holiday and most dont even realize it is grits until I tell them, its more like a custard.  http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/grits-pie

ask seilerbird his opinion of grits, seems to be in agreement with you on this.

What are laverbread, dollybirds and faggots ??? Obviously I need to get out more.

jackiemac said:
My dad used to drink it from tins with dollybirds on the side. It was my first beer. It's not very good! The microbreweries in the US are fabulous though. ?

When you say dollybirds I assume you mean pictures of beautiful girls clad in bikini's on the sides of the cans of Tennents Lager.  The cans had the girls on them back in 1980 when I was there last.  I wonder if it's still the same today.

Old_Crow said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWC0sKCS5oA

Wally.... lol.  I LOVE that film, sorry, movie. When we stayed in Flagstaff for the first time this movie came to mind. And the suit always makes me giggle! ??

catblaster said:
you should try this at least once. I make it every holiday and most dont even realize it is grits until I tell them, its more like a custard.  http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/grits-pie

ask seilerbird his opinion of grits, seems to be in agreement with you on this.

Mmmmm may be acceptable. I'll look out for it.  8)

Rene T said:
When you say dollybirds I assume you mean pictures of beautiful girls clad in bikini's on the sides of the cans of Tennents Lager.  The cans had the girls on them back in 1980 when I was there last.  I wonder if it's still the same today.

Yip. Not sure if the ladies are still on the tins.

RoyM said:
What are laverbread, dollybirds and faggots ??? Obviously I need to get out more.

Roy

Check out the link, you will need to put in your date of birth to ensure you are over 18  ::) shows some of the old photos used on the cans.

http://www.tennents.com/scotlands-favourite/

Back
Top Bottom