Californian Wineries That Allow Overnight Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackiemac

Site Team
We are planning our next trip and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for Wineries that allow you to stay overnight or where there is winery with an RV park within walking distance.  We have a TT.

We would both like to do some wine tasting together and obviously cannot drive afterwards.

We are looking at anywhere in Napa, Sonoma, Paso Robles etc.

I saw from a couple of the searches that the roads around these areas can be narrow, so would the advice be not to take the TT there at all?

Thanks for any info.  ;D

We would both like to do some wine tasting together and obviously cannot drive afterwards.

That's what a designated driver is for.

I have to assume that there might be either a single person or a couple and one doesn't drink that could help
get you back to the campground safely.

I would do that for someone if asked and I was in the right place at the right time.

Just saying that I've never heard of a campground at Wineries - not saying they don't exist - but if they do
they might not be the one(s) you want to visit.  JMO.

Harvest Hosts is a membership with over 400 wineries, farms and museums across USA and Canada that allow overnight dry camping for a night or two. Website is www.harvesthosts.com. We didn't have a need to use them when we were in Napa a couple weeks ago. But, we are staying at 2 this week in Oregon.

Thanks kdbgoat and Sheryl, I know about Harvest Hosts, should have mentioned it in my post, just wondered if there were any alternatives out there. I guess we would probably buy some wine so that would be an OK option. Thanks for the reminder.

Red, I would be worried that we'd be stranded, although I guess if at a campground nearby we could ask what situation was. If no lifts then one of us would have to drive.

jackiemac said:
Red, I would be worried that we'd be stranded, although I guess if at a campground nearby we could ask what situation was. If no lifts then one of us would have to drive.

I guess you lost me on that one.  WHY would you be stranded? 

If you and I were at the same campground and you wanted to go wine tasting and were worried about driving back to camp, and I said
I'll go with you, but not drink and drive us back - what would be the problem?

RedandSilver said:
I guess you lost me on that one.  WHY would you be stranded? 

If you and I were at the same campground and you wanted to go wine tasting and were worried about driving back to camp, and I said
I'll go with you, but not drink and drive us back - what would be the problem?
I meant if we went to the tasting without arranging a lift and hoping someone would be there.

That's very kind of you.

We are going to join Harvest Hosts as there seem to be plenty of wineries on the list so hopefully we can get organised that way. Thanks for your advice!

We were with Harvest Hosts from their startup and there is still a picture on the website of our coach parked right in the middle of a vineyard at one of our many stops. There was a music festival going on that weekend and that was the best place to park. Remember, you walk home after partaking of the tasting room, and there is no requirement that you have to buy any wine.

BernieD said:
We were with Harvest Hosts from their startup and there is still a picture on the website of our coach parked right in the middle of a vineyard at one of our many stops. There was a music festival going on that weekend and that was the best place to park. Remember, you walk home after partaking of the tasting room, and there is no requirement that you have to buy any wine.
Thanks!

I think you would be good in Napa-Sonoma, don't know about Paso Robles, also check out Lyft.

Update, check this out Recent post, this year:  https://www.wineryfinderapp.com/how-is-uber-in-napa-valley-2016-first-hand-experience/

I can't help you in California, but if you ever get up to Washington wine country, go to Prosser,Wa.,in the Yakima Valley and find Wine Country RV Park.

http://www.winecountryrvpark.com/Index.html

They have tastings at the RV park, as well as at least 8 wineries within walking distance.
And dozens more within 30 miles all around.
I believe that there are wine tasting tours that you can take as well.

If you have never visited Washington wine country, you will be in for a nice surprise.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
I can't help you in California, but if you ever get up to Washington wine country, go to Prosser,Wa.,in the Yakima Valley and find Wine Country RV Park.

http://www.winecountryrvpark.com/Index.html

They have tastings at the RV park, as well as at least 8 wineries within walking distance.
And dozens more within 30 miles all around.
I believe that there are wine tasting tours that you can take as well.

If you have never visited Washington wine country, you will be in for a nice surprise.

Thanks for the recommendation I will add it to my list of things to go to!

JFN said:
I think you would be good in Napa-Sonoma, don't know about Paso Robles, also check out Lyft.

Update, check this out Recent post, this year:  https://www.wineryfinderapp.com/how-is-uber-in-napa-valley-2016-first-hand-experience/
Thanks for that.  We use Lyft quite a lot so will definitely take Uber and Lyft into consideration. ?☺

Hello,

We are a french family travelling with our RV and it is very new for us.

Is anyone could give me some more informations about Harvest Host?
We are very interesting in becoming a member but we would like to have some advice from people we are already members?
Can we easily find avaibilities? Would you recommend it?

Thank you for your replies and sorry if my "english" is not very correct!

You can get info about Harvest Host at https://harvesthosts.com/
We were members several years ago but didn't renew because our travel plans didn't coincide with locations. We will re-join sometime when things line up better.

I am going to join. I asked an American friend who had told me about it. He was just about to join so I gave him the name of someone I had seen online to use as a recommendation - apparently each of you receives a free month if you do this.  I will recommend him. 

So if you join Pauline  come back and get the names of one of the earlier posters here who live in the US  permanently to use as your recommendation  and they will get a free month as will you.  :D

If you don't mind driving just a little bit more, you can go to Pahrump, Nevada. They have a winery with an rv resort. It is about 45 minutes to Death Valley, in California, and also about 45 minutes to Las Vegas. From the south, you can take I-15 north, then get off at Baker, California, which takes you to Pahrump. It is great desert driving, and you will not have to deal with freeway traffic and crowds.

Back
Top Bottom