New to me camper !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Triple Slide Jayco said:
Also, if you could, try to voice record the conversations. Try to keep it without anger or a accusatory conversation and try to get him to admit he knew something was wrong or maybe he will say that "I knew something was wrong and installed that grill but just left it alone and decided to sell" His own admittance would be awesome. I  think a judge sees guilt at the minimum here with the willingness to return money and the sort.
legally mind you !, you can't record anyone without them knowing, or being told they are being recorded ?. this is highly illegal in most states. in other words, the OP could not submit it as proof he admitted guilt unless he/she warned the other person on the other end the conversation was being recorded. same goes for anyone that comes on to my property, I have video cameras all around my house, I warn them they are being recorded at all times ( most don't care anyway ), but in order to submit this as proof in court if something '' came up while they were here '' ?, I have full legal proof to submit this as proof in court simply because I warned them they were being recorded, same goes for voice recording on a phone. this is why a judge must authorize a wire tap to make it legal ( yeah..like that happens a lot huh ? ..lol ).

Modeladay said:
I hope but he says  his father inlaw is a big wig lawyer in Augusta and says he is not worried at all. Also it is now 6:00 pm and he has not answered numerous phone calls... I just don't know why he is stalling or ducking my phone calls now.
he's not answering you, because he's blowing you off, making you make the next move, and now he's saying he has a '' big time lawyer '' to hopefully scare you away, that's what I think anyway. I say serve him some papers. also, if he did know this big time lawyer, then why hasn't he got him involved already to handle this matter ?. hmmm..i say he's bluffing.

OP, there is only one thing that would bother me over this deal ?. IF signed the bill of sale, and on this bill of sale, the words '' AS IS, NO WARRANTY '' is anywhere on the bill of sale ?, well, your up chit creek, leaky boat, no paddle :-(. reason being is, once you sign that bill of sale that has those words on it ?, you clearly, without further judgement, knowing, fully aware, have agreed to said property '' AS IS. NO WARRANTY'', made the purchase anyway. I know this sucks !, but in the legal world, those few words maybe small ?, but they carry a lot of weight in court. now, if those words are not on the bill of sale ?, then you have a solid case of fraud !.

alan6051964 said:
OP, there is only one thing that would bother me over this deal ?. IF signed the bill of sale, and on this bill of sale, the words '' AS IS, NO WARRANTY '' is anywhere on the bill of sale ?, well, your up chit creek, leaky boat, no paddle :-(. reason being is, once you sign that bill of sale that has those words on it ?, you clearly, without further judgement, knowing, fully aware, have agreed to said property '' AS IS. NO WARRANTY'', made the purchase anyway. I know this sucks !, but in the legal world, those few words maybe small ?, but they carry a lot of weight in court. now, if those words are not on the bill of sale ?, then you have a solid case of fraud !.
[/quote

No bill of sale, maybe good thing maybe a bad thing. Nothing was ever said about "as is"...Unfortunately its all he said she said. I'm probably have to eat this although it will only cost me $85 to make a fool out of myself. I see it all the time on court TV?

Modeladay said:
alan6051964 said:
[/quote

No bill of sale, maybe good thing maybe a bad thing. Nothing was ever said about "as is"...Unfortunately its all he said she said. I'm probably have to eat this although it will only cost me $85 to make a fool out of myself. I see it all the time on court TV?
I know for a fact ( because I just had to get tags for my tt yesterday..lol ) they want a bill of sale to prove how much you paid for the camper..or whatever ?, before they issue you a state title, and tags. at least this is how Arkansas works , I don't know how it works over there in GA ?. but I know a bill of sale is a legal binding contract. you have a solid case, it will be worth it to spend the cash to take him to court, and you will win !!.

Not all states require a bill of sale. They charge the tax on book value.

Modeladay said:
alan6051964 said:
OP, there is only one thing that would bother me over this deal ?. IF signed the bill of sale, and on this bill of sale, the words '' AS IS, NO WARRANTY '' is anywhere on the bill of sale ?, well, your up chit creek, leaky boat, no paddle :-(. reason being is, once you sign that bill of sale that has those words on it ?, you clearly, without further judgment, knowing, fully aware, have agreed to said property '' AS IS. NO WARRANTY'', made the purchase anyway. I know this sucks !, but in the legal world, those few words maybe small ?, but they carry a lot of weight in court. now, if those words are not on the bill of sale ?, then you have a solid case of fraud !.
[/quote

Incorrect, In one of my earlier comments in this post, I stated that I sold a rental home thru a realtor in the last yr or so. You can sue for anything. The buyer was trying to say that I knew of plumbing issues prior to the sale and sold the home with this knowledge. The buyer never inspected the home and signed off on that. The case had legs in regards to did I have this knowledge and sold a lemon per se.? The prior knowledge issue is big, "as is" or not.

Either way, the cost of an attorney for the seller (unless he wants to tackle it alone, which he would be foolish) because obviously he has to answer wether or not he knew anything. Costs and answers the seller needs to face here are pretty lengthy, hiring an attorney or not, a few days off of work, possibly ripping off older people,extensive pictures of years of damage, an installed air vent to obviously cover something up, calling the buyers financial institution and poking around, lying on phone calls, offering to give the money back at one time or another, are all things the seller has to answer to. Putting his feet to the fire could get him to just back off and give the money back. The judge is going to hear this and have reaaaall doubt about the buyer not knowing anything about the prior damage. The judge in my mind will see through the bs and probably just ask the question, "Mr buyer how do you want to remedy this" and when the words said are "I just want my money back" is spoken, the judge doesn't really have to rule or make a decision on anything here, he is simply a mediator and thats why you would sue.

Again thanks all for taking the time to write these extensive posts. The seller got back to me via text which he has not done sense the very beginning when we were talking about buying the camper. I think he chose not to text because of adding to the record so to speak. But he did text me and said let him know when the title arrives at the bank. Based on this I feel it is genuine. I know I will be losing $1100.00 and many of you have urged me to go to court but I'm mentally exhausted. I just want to move on.

Modeladay said:
Based on this I feel it is genuine. . . .  I just want to move on.

I'm glad to know that you have heard from the scum-bum once again.  Although some folks urged the court route, and others didn't IF he was going to refund $7000, I think everyone was well-intentioned and just wanted you to get some restitution for having been so badly mislead, defrauded, and emotionally jerked around.  But you have made your thoughts known!  "I just want to move on" and your choice is all that matters. Everyone will respect that. I continue to hope that all goes well re: the title in exchange for $$$$ at the bank.  Don't forget to let us know how this story ends please.  Linda

Dreamsend said:
I'm glad to know that you have heard from the scum-bum once again.  Although some folks urged the court route, and others didn't IF he was going to refund $7000, I think everyone was well-intentioned and just wanted you to get some restitution for having been so badly mislead, defrauded, and emotionally jerked around.  But you have made your thoughts known!  "I just want to move on" and your choice is all that matters. Everyone will respect that. I continue to hope that all goes well re: the title in exchange for $$$$ at the bank.  Don't forget to let us know how this story ends please.  Linda

I will definitely let all know how this concludes, I can't wait till next week ?

Well the seller has disappeared again, I guess my options are go to small claims court or figure a way to do the repairs. This guy has been playing me from the beginning, I can't believe I had any faith in him at all. I really don't want to go the court rout because I know I will make nothing but a fool of myself. I'm really thinking of taking on the repairs myself. I'm wondering if the frame that does need replaced can all be done from the outside? I don't want to rip out the bedroom to get at the damage. Anyway that's where I'm at, I swear if I were younger I would seriously kick the **** out of the guy, than pay the fine and do the time.

Oh well, crap.  Not the news we were hoping for. So now you gotta decide on Plan B.  I know that for me, making the next decision would be much more difficult than actually living with that decision in the long run.  Time heals etc.

Seems you mentioned the seller was in Alabama???  So that means you have to file in Alabama, which has a $6,000 limit for small claims court.  You could confirm this, but even if the judge awards in your favor, the guy still could refuse to pay and the court will do nothing to enforce the decision.  Or, he could file an appeal, and drag things on and on. . .

This is a truly lousy situation for you.  I think it is obvious what you want, that is to "move on" and have it behind you.  It seems like you may also be feeling you "should" take him to court, but your heart's not in it.  Decide what will bring you peace and satisfaction and get your life back where you want it -- then ignore that nagging, self-questioning voice that says you "should" do something else -- it goes away faster if you practice this.  For some folks, and maybe you included, this could mean putting together a court presentation and getting satisfaction from challenging the seller's actions.  Others of us may find that we are too emotionally involved to go this route.  Good legal actions are devoid of emotional content.  We're all different in our response to things like this, and the only important thing is to figure out what YOU want, not what you see others do and then think you need to do the same.

There are good guides on the internet for putting together an effective court presentation. Just Google it.  Another option is to check for legal aid services (low or no fee) through your State resources, and they could assist you with staying on point with your case.  Maybe even just a call to them and discussion at this point would help you determine your next step.  Unfortunately kicking his butt is not an option, but I'm right there with you wishing it were.  Linda

Dreamsend said:
Oh well, crap.  Not the news we were hoping for. So now you gotta decide on Plan B.  I know that for me, making the next decision would be much more difficult than actually living with that decision in the long run.  Time heals etc.

Seems you mentioned the seller was in Alabama???  So that means you have to file in Alabama, which has a $6,000 limit for small claims court.  You could confirm this, but even if the judge awards in your favor, the guy still could refuse to pay and the court will do nothing to enforce the decision.  Or, he could file an appeal, and drag things on and on. . .

This is a truly lousy situation for you.  I think it is obvious what you want, that is to "move on" and have it behind you.  It seems like you may also be feeling you "should" take him to court, but your heart's not in it.  Decide what will bring you peace and satisfaction and get your life back where you want it -- then ignore that nagging, self-questioning voice that says you "should" do something else -- it goes away faster if you practice this.  For some folks, and maybe you included, this could mean putting together a court presentation and getting satisfaction from challenging the seller's actions.  Others of us may find that we are too emotionally involved to go this route.  Good legal actions are devoid of emotional content.  We're all different in our response to things like this, and the only important thing is to figure out what YOU want, not what you see others do and then think you need to do the same.

There are good guides on the internet for putting together an effective court presentation. Just Google it.  Another option is to check for legal aid services (low or no fee) through your State resources, and they could assist you with staying on point with your case.  Maybe even just a call to them and discussion at this point would help you determine your next step.  Unfortunately kicking his butt is not an option, but I'm right there with you wishing it were.  Linda

Thanks linda, we are in GA and the seller is also. There is a $15000 limit here so it would work for us. But like you said even if I win I will have to do all the leg work as for trying to collect any money, yes there are ways but is it worth it? I'm kind of getting the hots to tare into it just to see if I can make the repairs. I  wish I had an indoor place to do the repairs but I don't. Guess I'll see what I feel like in the morning  BTW I'm still up at 4:00 am thinking about this...thank God I'm retired

Just fix it.  The time you've wasted thus far could have been better spent IMO.  You bought it, you're stuck with it.
Your options are:

Pay someone to fix it
Fix it yourself
Sell it as is
watch it rot for twenty years

Gods Country said:
Just fix it.  The time you've wasted thus far could have been better spent IMO.  You bought it, you're stuck with it.
Your options are:

Pay someone to fix it
Fix it yourself
Sell it as is
watch it rot for twenty years

You're wrong on two points the camper won't last another 20 years and I know I won't ?

I have made the decision to try and repair the camper myself with the help of you all. I will start a new post in the remodeling section although this will have nothing to do with remodeling :) Title of the new post will be Sour lemonade and yes I'm stealing some of  BikerFlex&HappyJen'S thunder...I hope they will forgive me ;)

Modeladay said:
I have made the decision to try and repair the camper myself with the help of you all. I will start a new post in the remodeling section although this will have nothing to do with remodeling :) Title of the new post will be Sour lemonade and yes I'm stealing some of  BikerFlex&HappyJen'S thunder...I hope they will forgive me ;)

You're ahead of me......at least you know how to post pictures.

I know I could fix the camper. Not too sure I could post pictures. ;D

malexander said:
You're ahead of me......at least you know how to post pictures.

I know I could fix the camper. Not too sure I could post pictures. ;D

I'll post your pictures if you fix my camper?

Modeladay said:
I'll post your pictures if you fix my camper?

If you weren't so far away, I'd be the first to jump in and help. :) I sort of enjoy doing stuff like that. I've restored 2 John Deere tractors, a 1937 D and a 1939 A. They really look better now than when they came from JD new. It's fun (to me) to try to make things looks better than new.

As far as you repair goes, remove the "good stuff" as gently as possible so as to not damage it, to get to the bad stuff. Then do whatever is necessary to get the damaged stuff out, and replace it. Restoration projects can be rewarding. You'll know exactly how everything works when you're done.

I've always said "if it's broken, damaged, or not working, how can I hurt it"?

You'll do fine. Ask lots of questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom