Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Atwood water heater morse code  (Read 458 times)

Soaringeagle

• ---
Atwood water heater morse code
« on: May 01, 2017, 08:49:14 AM »
In my 2013 Journey 42e I have a 10 gallon Atwood water heater that makes a clicking sound when it is heating in electric mode. When I have changed the thermostat, the clicking stops for a few weeks but eventually comes back. This has occurred with both the standard and adjustable thermostats.
The clicking seems to be coming from the rear of the water heater so I changed the relay, and once again the clicking stopped but came back in about two weeks. The clicking is not constant but very sporadic. I have also noticed that the pressure relief valve has been letting out water periodically while this has been going on. The water heater operates fine in the propane mode.
I am wondering if I possibly have a faulty circuit board or if I have a problem with the quality of power, inverter?, going to the heater.
I have spoken to Winnebago and Atwood, and neither had heard of this problem before.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks
Brent
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e
2011 Ford Edge Toad
Driver: Brent
Navigator: Melissa
Boss: Poopsie the cat

John Hilley

• ---
Re: Atwood water heater morse code
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:13:39 AM »
It's not uncommon for electric heating elements to make a clicking noise as they heat up. It may also be the pressure relief valve. Another poster has a problem with the pressure relief valve, but only on electric.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

Soaringeagle

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 06:03:41 PM »
I originally thought that it must be the element, but when it goes away when I replace a thermostat or relay, I'm not so sure. I remember the post about the pressure relief valve, and if memory serves, someone had said that their circuit board was to blame. Circuit boards are a bit pricey so I'm hesitant to replace it without a bit more evidence.
Thanks for the input.
Brent
2011 Ford Edge Toad

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »
Maybe it is a shroud or something that gets moved, tightened or loosened when working on the water heater and then goes back to the way it was eventually. I would look at something metal that expands or contracts. When on propane it may see more heat than when on the electric element and expand differently.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

penman39

• ---
    • MassArt Images
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »
I just had mine pulled out part way because the electric wasn't working.  Those two little devices on the back are temperature switches, not relays. If you relief is popping it sounds like the electric element is boiling the water. Those switches need to make good contact with the back of the tank or they will allow the watertank to get too hot. The bracket that holds those switches in place needs adjusted to allow the base of the switches to make good contact on the back of the tank. Some thermal grease found at Radio Shack will improve the heat transfer to the switches.

This thread shows the two switches on the backside of my heater:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,104397.0.html
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:36:47 PM by penman39 »
Carl
2002 Adventurer 35U Workhorse
2015 Subaru Crosstrek Toad

Soaringeagle

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »
I don't have those switches on my water heater, but thanks for the response.
Brent
2011 Ford Edge Toad

Hosted by Over The Network