NEW to travel trailers. Expedition tow capacity question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peng8

:)
We have a 2017 Expedition 4x4 with an HD tow package. I have been reading up, but still confused on an appropriate size/weight.  My husband was just going to go out and buy a trailer thinking it would pull pretty much anything up to 29 ft.  :'( I kind of bust the bubble on that as I am a safety freak.

So, we have us, three growing kids, and three dogs, plus misc stuff.  Let us round it to 1000 pounds, with all the animals, cooler, hunting guns, etc. That might be a bit over but I like to overestimate. 

Does anyone have an estimate on the max weight we can very safely pull? I would stay totally under that. We will be taking it from GA to Northern KY, so through the mountains, and really only one trip as we will park it semi permanent.

Actually, now that I think about it, I plan to drive my own SUV seperately this trip, so I can take some weight off the above by taking my kids in my truck. Not sure I want them on the trip while he is driving the Tt for the first time.  ;D

We are looking at every brand from 17ft-25ft total, including the hitch.

Also, do I out some of that stuff in the TT? Sorry, I have been reading but all this is so new and I am confused by the different weight jargon with the hitch, capacity, load, etc. 

Thanks for ANY advice on a good TT. Even if you have a prefence...I heard they can leak alot. 

We only need a bed for us, fridge, micro, stove. Would be nice to have a freezer and oven.  We would be using these things about three times a year. Probably 30 days a year total. 

Start by getting an accurate weight.  That means loading family and stuff up and going to a scales.  Then you can look up your SUVs GVWR and GCWR. Simple subtraction will give you how much trailer weight you can safely carry.  Remember brochures only give you a dry weight number, so you really need to add that and the trailers cargo capacity (CCC) plus hitch weight to arrive at a somewhat realistic number.

You need to determine the Expedition's Tow capacity from the 2017 Ford Towing Guide (see http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_17RV&TTgde_r5_Mar3.pdf) and then decrease that by any weight carried in the Expedition above & beyond driver and one passenger (the rating includes those). Probably more like 700 lbs. Expeditions have tow ratings anywhere from 6600-9200 lbs of gross trailer weight, so you need to compare how yours is equipped vs Fords tow ratings.

Compare the remaining capacity to the trailer GVWR (not trailer dry weight). My personal preference would be to choose a trailer 750-1000 lbs under that amount, for extra comfort and safety.  That might be a trailer as large as 29 ft, but maybe not. Depends a lot on the construction quality and equipment installed.

You also need to be concerned about the trailer tongue weight, which the Expe also has to carry along with the passengers and gear inside. About 10% of the trailer gross weight rides on the hitch ball.  There will be a sticker on the driver door jamb showing the cargo capacity (payload). People gear & tongue weight all have to fit within that limit.

Peng8 said:
:)
We have a 2017 Expedition 4x4 with an HD tow package. I have been reading up, but still confused on an appropriate size/weight.  My husband was just going to go out and buy a trailer thinking it would pull pretty much anything up to 29 ft.  :'( I kind of bust the bubble on that as I am a safety freak.

So, we have us, three growing kids, and three dogs, plus misc stuff.  Let us round it to 1000 pounds, with all the animals, cooler, hunting guns, etc. That might be a bit over but I like to overestimate. 

Thanks for ANY advice on a good TT. Even if you have a prefence...I heard they can leak alot.
Just the opposite of "overestimate!  You are way underestimating.  The food, clothing, pots, pans, plates, etc, etc and all the other little stuff you carry add up very quickly to 700-1000 pounds.  On top of that you want to add the weight of fresh water in your tank.  Multiply the gallons available in the fresh water by 8.3 pounds.  A 40 gallon tank has close to 350 pounds of water in it.  Now add the weight of 2 adults, 3 kids, & dogs and you are much closer to 2000 pounds than 1000 pounds of added weight. 

Okay, I just checked, the GVWR is 7500. We have an HD tow package. So I deduct the weight we carry so brings it down to lets say 6500.

We will not have pots and pans or water, etc....just take the trailer with everything I mentioned above. 

Here is an example of a TT. So, what do I do with these numbers below? I am just confused with all the different weights.

Hitch Weight 620
UVW 4294
CCC 3326

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
You need to determine the Expedition's Tow capacity from the 2017 Ford Towing Guide (see http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_17RV&TTgde_r5_Mar3.pdf) and then decrease that by any weight carried in the Expedition above & beyond driver and one passenger (the rating includes those). Probably more like 700 lbs. Expeditions have tow ratings anywhere from 6600-9200 lbs of gross trailer weight, so you need to compare how yours is equipped vs Fords tow ratings.

Compare the remaining capacity to the trailer GVWR (not trailer dry weight). My personal preference would be to choose a trailer 750-1000 lbs under that amount, for extra comfort and safety.  That might be a trailer as large as 29 ft, but maybe not. Depends a lot on the construction quality and equipment installed.

You also need to be concerned about the trailer tongue weight, which the Expe also has to carry along with the passengers and gear inside. About 10% of the trailer gross weight rides on the hitch ball.  There will be a sticker on the driver door jamb showing the cargo capacity (payload). People gear & tongue weight all have to fit within that limit.

Okay, I just checked, the GVWR is 7500. We have an HD tow package. So I deduct the weight we carry so brings it down to lets say 6500. Our Cargo capacity max weight is 1362 lbs

We will not have pots and pans or water, etc....just take the trailer with everything I mentioned above. 

Here is an example of a TT. So, what do I do with these numbers below? I am just confused with all the different weights.

Hitch Weight 620
UVW 4294
CCC 3326

If you are confident you will do this only one time and then leave it permanently on a site, you can take more leeway with your weights. Load up the SUV with your kids and supplies. If you need more space, rent a little trailer from Uhaul to tow with the SUV. Don't put water in the travel trailer, don't even have the propane bottles filled. That way your DH can tow a basically empty trailer so the dry weight will be what you worry about. BTW, putting 5 people plus 3 dogs in a 17-25' trailer is going to be challenging. Have you seen a model you like?

All this advice goes completely out the window if you ever want to travel with the trailer. Then you have to worry about all the "stuff" that makes a trailer weigh more than the dry weight.

YOU NEED TO WEIGH YOUR EXPEDITION!!!

Until you get it weighed with everybody and all the gear inside, we are all just guessing.

IF your rig is properly equipped from Ford, you have a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) of 15,300 lbs. This means that your loaded Expedition and your loaded trailer cannot exceed 15,300 lbs.

Here's why knowing the weight of your tow vehicle is so important:

15,300 lbs - tow vehicle weight = maximum GVWR of trailer being towed.

For example, if your loaded Expedition weighs 7,000 lbs, you could tow a trailer with a maximum GVWR of 8,300 lbs.

15,300 lbs - 7,000 lbs = 8,300 lbs.

UTTransplant said:
If you are confident you will do this only one time and then leave it permanently on a site, you can take more leeway with your weights. Load up the SUV with your kids and supplies. If you need more space, rent a little trailer from Uhaul to tow with the SUV. Don't put water in the travel trailer, don't even have the propane bottles filled. That way your DH can tow a basically empty trailer so the dry weight will be what you worry about. BTW, putting 5 people plus 3 dogs in a 17-25' trailer is going to be challenging. Have you seen a model you like?

All this advice goes completely out the window if you ever want to travel with the trailer. Then you have to worry about all the "stuff" that makes a trailer weigh more than the dry weight.

Yes, we are just buying it here in GA and taking it to our property in KY.  The kids and dogs stay in a separate cabin so to speak. Our old cabin has too much mildew to sleep in it anymore. So until we build a new house, we are buying an RV just for the two of us, but would need the fridge, stove, shower, etc. 

We have looked at so many models it is blurry now.  Trying to keep it below $25k. 

lone_star_dsl said:
YOU NEED TO WEIGH YOUR EXPEDITION!!!

Until you get it weighed with everybody and all the gear inside, we are all just guessing.

IF your rig is properly equipped from Ford, you have a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) of 15,300 lbs. This means that your loaded Expedition and your loaded trailer cannot exceed 15,300 lbs.

Here's why knowing the weight of your tow vehicle is so important:

15,300 lbs - tow vehicle weight = maximum GVWR of trailer being towed.

For example, if your loaded Expedition weighs 7,000 lbs, you could tow a trailer with a maximum GVWR of 8,300 lbs.

15,300 lbs - 7,000 lbs = 8,300 lbs.

Ok, thanks. that makes sense. I was Looking at 4500lbs MAX for a travel trailer. None of the websites have the total weight and capacity of the trailers so we will have to go look again.  I read to add the dry weight and the max cargo capacity of the TT and stay under that to be safe.    I just want to have a safe 430 mile drive to the destination. 

Peng8 said:
Ok, thanks. that makes sense. I was Looking at 4500lbs MAX for a travel trailer. None of the websites have the total weight and capacity of the trailers so we will have to go look again.  I read to add the dry weight and the max cargo capacity of the TT and stay under that to be safe.    I just want to have a safe 430 mile drive to the destination.

When looking at trailer weights, it's always best to go by its GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). This is the most that the trailer can weigh without running the serious risk of broken frames, axles, or blown tires.

You'd be surprised how quickly the weight adds up in a trailer!  On our first outing of the year, I always make sure my water tank is full, then I weigh the entire rig. This gives me a good baseline for the remainder of the summer so long as I keep track of any large items added or removed from the trailer.

And honestly, if your just parking the trailer and don't have plans to move it more than once a year, I would by the trailer you love! If it's too big for your Expedition to pull, there are plenty of hot shot or other trucking services that could move it to your destination for you.

we are just buying it here in GA and taking it to our property in KY.

Does anyone else notice the terrain of this tow?
Mountains and a vehicle close to max load is not like towing it across Kansas.
Best add a little safety margin to the figures I think.

Wait... was that me?  :eek:
I'm the guy who always used to push the envelope before joining here.  ::)

Hoosier Daddy said:

I suppose one could say the same to you then.

The Expedition and F-150 are virtually identical under the sheet metal.

Hoosier Daddy said:

Right...75 straight through Tennessee and Kentucky....mountains and many semis.

lone_star_dsl said:
And honestly, if your just parking the trailer and don't have plans to move it more than once a year, I would by the trailer you love! If it's too big for your Expedition to pull, there are plenty of hot shot or other trucking services that could move it to your destination for you.

The only other place we would take it is to my dads for safe keeping each time...he is a 1/2 mile winding up a slight mountain. Not a huge deal. 

Okay, I just checked, the GVWR is 7500. We have an HD tow package. So I deduct the weight we carry so brings it down to lets say 6500. Our Cargo capacity max weight is 1362 lbs

That sounds like the Expeditions GVWR. Not really germane here, because that has already been taken into account when the Payload (Expedition CCC) was calculated. You need to consider the trailer GVWR, which is stated on the label for a specific trailer but often does not appear in brochures or websites. See my further reply below.

Hitch Weight 620
UVW 4294
CCC 3326

All these terms are explained in the RVForum Glossary - see button on menu bar on this page.

UVW is what the vehicle or trailer weighs empty. CCC is Cargo Carrying Capacity, the max amount of weight you can add yourself. UVW + CCC is the GVWR - The Gross Vehicle Wight Rating. That's the max mount it can weigh when loaded. In this example, 4294 + 3326 will be the GVWR - that's 7620 lbs.

Hitch (aka tongue) weight is the percentage of the total weight that rides on the trailer hitch instead of the trailer wheels. The amount shown is for an empty trailer, so rarely of much use. Estimate loaded hitch weight at 10% of the loaded weight. For a fully loaded trailer assume 10% of trailer GVWR.

The GCWR that lone_star talks about is the main basis for the trailer tow rating.  If you can find the Expedition GCWR and then weigh it when loaded, you can compute what is left. Failing that, use Ford's pre-calculated Trailer Tow Rating, which was determined via a formal, standard, method of measurement called SAE J2807.  That's what you will find in the Ford towing guide and is intended to provide answers without as much work on your part.

Since you will be towing the trailer mostly empty, you could perhaps assume that the trailer weight will be less than the trailer GVWR. However, it will be very temping to "throw a few things into the trailer" and the weight climbs up. Besides, after the house is built, maybe you will want to go RVing with the kids? Otherwise, why not have a professional deliver the trailer to your site and not worry about what the Expedition can handle.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
That sounds like the Expeditions GVWR. Not really germane here, because that has already been taken into account when the Payload (Expedition CCC) was calculated. You need to consider the trailer GVWR, which is stated on the label for a specific trailer but often does not appear in brochures or websites. See my further reply below.

All these terms are explained in the RVForum Glossary - see button on menu bar on this page.

UVW is what the vehicle or trailer weighs empty. CCC is Cargo Carrying Capacity, the max amount of weight you can add yourself. UVW + CCC is the GVWR - The Gross Vehicle Wight Rating. That's the max mount it can weigh when loaded. In this example, 4294 + 3326 will be the GVWR - that's 7620 lbs.

Hitch (aka tongue) weight is the percentage of the total weight that rides on the trailer hitch instead of the trailer wheels. The amount shown is for an empty trailer, so rarely of much use. Estimate loaded hitch weight at 10% of the loaded weight. For a fully loaded trailer assume 10% of trailer GVWR.

The GCWR that lone_star talks about is the main basis for the trailer tow rating.  If you can find the Expedition GCWR and then weigh it when loaded, you can compute what is left. Failing that, use Ford's pre-calculated Trailer Tow Rating, which was determined via a formal, standard, method of measurement called SAE J2807.  That's what you will find in the Ford towing guide and is intended to provide answers without as much work on your part.

Since you will be towing the trailer mostly empty, you could perhaps assume that the trailer weight will be less than the trailer GVWR. However, it will be very temping to "throw a few things into the trailer" and the weight climbs up. Besides, after the house is built, maybe you will want to go RVing with the kids? Otherwise, why not have a professional deliver the trailer to your site and not worry about what the Expedition can handle.
Thanks so much. I found what the acronyms meant. I guess I just did not understand the tounge weight.  This is helpful.  I had used some calculators before but I did not know what the Expedition would weigh without finding a scale. Yes, thought about down the road sometime maybe we would like to travel a bit. But it would be closer to ten years before we do that! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom