Canada - transporting firearms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeff60

My wife and I are full time RVer's and are planning to go into Canada. We do carry weapons in the RV and have nowhere to store them. Can anyone tell me the restrictions to carrying weapons across the border? We both have passports so thats not going to be a problem. Thanks for your help.

jeff60 said:
My wife and I are full time RVer's and are planning to go into Canada. We do carry weapons in the RV and have nowhere to store them. Can anyone tell me the restrictions to carrying weapons across the border? We both have passports so thats not going to be a problem. Thanks for your help.
Don't try to take weapons into Canada.  Many people find a gun shop to store the weapons before crossing into Canada.  Of course you will have to return to that spot to pick them up again.

It is "possible" to do all the paperwork to declare the weapons and take the in to Canada, but it is not a simple task. 

AStravelers said:
It is "possible" to do all the paperwork to declare the weapons and take the in to Canada, but it is not a simple task.

I think this is true of "long guns" but you won't be able to bring pistols into Canada.

First, welcome to the forum.
I suppose if you have a bank account with a chain bank like TD Bank or Bank of America, you could do a search and see if there's one close by to the crossing and open up a safe deposit box. I would want to check with the bank first though to make sure they would allow that. Of course, that's only if it's a handgun. 

If you have ever seen the show called Border patrol, they show Americans crossing all the time in BC heading to Alaska. If you apply, you can bring a shotgun or rifle, but no handguns. No switchblades or high capacity ammo clips. Of course automatic weapons are not allowed. Personally, I dont see the need to bring one, unless you plan on camping in the middle to a ghetto or something. Look on their website. http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/transporting-firearms/bringing-a-firearm-into-canada/  Welcome to  Canada eh.

Canada does not mess around about handguns. Don't think you can hide it. They arrest people, confiscate the handgun, and take the offender to jail; it isn't just a matter of paying a fine. You will also be banned from Canada indefinitely.

UTTransplant said:
Canada does not mess around about handguns. Don't think you can hide it. They arrest people, confiscate the handgun, and take the offender to jail; it isn't just a matter of paying a fine. You will also be banned from Canada indefinitely.
Indeed. If you try to hide a gun and they find it, (good chance they will, they know to look for Americans with guns), you will be charged with smuggling. At the very least your chances of going into Canada will be almost zero, and you may end up behind bars. If you must bring a long gun, do the paperwork and declare it at the border crossing. Canadians own guns too, we just arent allowed handguns except under very strict rules. This way only the criminals have hand guns, not the population. lol

jeff60 said:
It's been reported that firearm seizures at the US-Canada border has increased 42% in the period of 2011-2016. Just completing the required paperwork doesn't guarantee your firearms will clear customs.  Undeclared firearms carry significant penalties and may include vehicle seizure.

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/gun-seizures-up-at-border-americans-warned-to-leave-guns-at-home

Depending on your crossing point into Canada, storage services may be available locally at gun dealers, RV parks (with storage lockers) and bank safe deposit boxes.
1. Bank safe deposit box - be aware it is a federal offense to enter a bank with a firearm. Dismantled and packaged in a suitable box they can be stored without disclosing the contents of the "box".
2. Gun dealers usually accept your firearm as a "cleaning service" so they don't have to declare it in their inventory. Be sure to check their local requirements. You may be subject to a backgound check prior to release of the firearm back to you and that could cause days of delay.
3. Storage lockers - a reasonable method if you feel confident that the facility has good security. An example, Louis and Clark RV Park, Shelby MT offers storage lockers. I've used them, worked for me.

As suggested in other posts, pick your crossing point and Google nearest towns and start calling. I'm sure you'll find a solution. Just do it before you get to the border.
Also, if you have any pro-gun stickers on your vehicle (NRA, etc), best remove them before crossing. These "advertisements" seem to raise the eyebrows of inspectors.

Good Luck,

I have a friend who was traveling with a group of men to Canada on a duck hunt. Everyone had planned ahead and had their permits in order to bring their shotguns into Canada. While they were getting their permits checked as they were entering Canada one of the men got impatient because the process was to slow and he said a few unfavorable things. After a 20 minute search on their computers they found that he had an unpaid parking ticket in his home state. They declared that he was a criminal in his home state and they put him and his shotgun back in a plane for the US and told him that he would never be able to enter Canada. I have entered Canada 7 times. Only one time have I had anyone enter the MH. On that occasion three people entered the MH while two people searched the basement storage. After twenty minutes they thanked me and I thanked them and we were on our way. My point is to just be nice and don't try to break their laws and everything will be fine.

Frank 

Get the long gun permit ahead of time from their web site.  Think it's $25 per long gun.  Good for 60 days and can be renewed. If you have a pistol, leave it at a gun shop on the US side.  Most will store it for you.

I've hunted in Canada 3 times.  Never had a problem with my 300 Win. Mag. rifle.

Just register it and pay the fee.  Once registered the permit is good for 3 years (I think, but do not rely on this post).

I'll be entering Canada in June of this year headed up the AlCan.  I'll pre-register my 30-30 and my 12 gauge.

I do not anticipate a problem.

Handgun will be left in the U.S.A. at or near the boarder with a gunsmith for a well needed cleaning.

I always print out the Canadian laws and carry them with me just in case there is a question regarding my permit or my ammo.

As for the need, well there is always the possibility of wild aggressive animals along with bad guys who just don't think the law applies to them.

It becomes a personal choice.

Out of Caution, I went to the website.

The permit does have a 60 day or less section, but there is another section for 60 days or more.

Also, be very careful on the length of the barrel and if there is a folding stock.

I chose my two firearms because they are truly two hunting firearms.

I would not bring any thing more exotic than a deer rifle or a 12 gauge bird gun across the Canadian boarder.

If anyone comes by my campfire on the AlCan, I 'll tell you the story of the AA desk agent and my return trip from a Red Stag hunt in Scotland. 8)

What usually get overlooked on these threads, is that Americans have similar difficulties entering Mexico, as do Canadians entering the US, in fact the only way we can bring firearms is long guns, and a copy of the hunting license, so if we are going to travel we cannot bring riffles, and we can't bring in any hand guns.  Even your Secret Service had to have special permission to bring their weapons when the G20 was held in Halifax several years ago.

Ed

regval said:
1. Bank safe deposit box - be aware it is a federal offense to enter a bank with a firearm. Dismantled and packaged in a suitable box they can be stored without disclosing the contents of the "box".

There is no U.S. federal law against carrying a firearm into a bank. There may well be state or local laws concerning bringing a firearm into a bank, but no federal laws.

henkelphoto said:
There is no U.S. federal law against carrying a firearm into a bank. There may well be state or local laws concerning bringing a firearm into a bank, but no federal laws.

I stand corrected. Montana code 45-8-328 specifically defines concealed carry into a bank as not allowed.

Saw one American fellow on the Border Patrol show heading to Alaska. He had a long gun which he declared. When they searched his camper, they found a pair of brass knuckles that he said had been in the motorhome for years, and he wasnt even sure where they came from. They charged him with a prohibited weapon, and fined him $500 bucks. Nice way to lose $500 bucks for an oversite. Another one people seem to forget is pepper spray as well. They also sieze lots of those on the show. Its a very informative show for anyone thinking of crossing the border. Makes you realize why they seem to ask such stupid questions, and waste your time. You know you are not a criminal, but the next guy in line who looks just like you, has 5 lbs of drugs stashed somewhere or a bunch of illegal weapons, or some kind of food product that is going to wipe out an entire ecosystem if it gets hold. When we crossed into California from Oregon we hit a border inspection looking for gypsy moths.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom