EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Where do you keep your keys??  (Read 1229 times)

Len and Jo

• ---
Where do you keep your keys??
« on: May 02, 2017, 06:28:35 PM »
We were at Whitefish Point on the south shore of Lake Superior this last week.  Kind of a remote place.  Yes people live there in villages and small towns but really a fairly quite area, specially in the spring.  A man and wife we met there while birding did a no no.  At the end of the day (we all were birding and taking in lectures) it was cold and very windy.  He started his new Subaru to warm it up before leaving the point.  Stepped out of his car and the wind blew the car door shut.  Car is locked and running.  Only key they brought to this corner of the world in the ignition of the locked running car.  I knew something was wrong because he was standing by the car with telephone to his ear and his wife is a safe 20 yards away with her arms crossed.  A very tell-tell husband-wife pose.  Subaru service can get there in 4 hours.  AAA says they can be there in an hour (turned out it really was two hours).  They have this wonderful remote service where Subaru can remotely unlock their car BUT that only works (they said for security reasons) when the car is locked BUT not running.  We kept them warm in our van for most their wait but it was still a two hour wait for the AAA service man to get to Whitefish Point.

Joanne and I always on trips have two keys with us.  We each always carry one and are very religious about it.  I do think though I will add a third to some out of the way location on the exterior of the van.
Len & Jo
The Green Tardis
We 'B' RVing   Berkley, Michigan
Van Development:   https://youtu.be/5Xqk_G6k95M
12 Years of Travels:  https://youtu.be/UMIf17CzdZo

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: Where do you keep your keys??
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 06:33:27 PM »
I have a spare key hidden under the bedrail and nobody in the world knows it's there.   :o ::) ;D

I also have a spare inside the RV.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:39:40 PM »
Ever since our wireless keyfob locked us out all on it's own we have a set of keys in one of those magnetic boxes hidden in a place nobody would look.

We carry two sets of keys for coach & towed and hang them on a hook in an overhead cabinet.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »
We both carry our own sets of keys, plus the extras in the motorhome.  In this case, the extra keys might have been less useful unless Len and Jo had driven them to their rig (if they had one).  Seems like that Suburu rule for remote unlocking is a bit unreasonable considering people often lock their keys in a running car.  In some cars you can't accidentally lock it when it's running.  I'd rather have that than an arbitrary remote unlock by the manufacturer.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Bob T

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »
The first year we had the motorhome, our dog locked us out twice!
The first time it was on our second trip out and the coach was running, both dogs inside, wife and I outside. You guessed it, spare keys inside!

We dragged a picnic table over, I borrowed a butter knife from new neighbors and was able to slip the lock on drivers side slider window. I proceed to crawl in and promptly leaned on the horn.

Well, the air horns go off and now EVERYONE knows something is up.

My DW explained to all, WE'RE NEW AT THIS! 

I felt about this high..

Funny now but a bit of a panic at the time..

Now, I carry a spare key to door lock AND have a keyless entry systen that works.

Bob
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:30:23 PM by Bob T »
2008 Winnebago Vectra 40 TD
Any day you wake up on the right side of the grass is a Beautiful Day!

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 07:27:39 PM »
Keys are in my pocket. Never left in the ignition, and I only lock the doors with the remote. It's hard to lock keys in the car while they're in your hand.

I'm constantly doing the "triple tap" of keys, phone and wallet.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:34:10 PM by HappyWanderer »

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 07:35:39 PM »
    One of the things I both like and dislike is the electronics on our C6 corvette.It detects the keyfob and unlocks the door so it can be opened, once opened it allows the passenger door to be opened. The doors only lock when the transmission is taken out of park and stays locked to the outside until the exit button is pushed. I can exit the vehicle when running with or without the keyfob but if I exit the vehicle and it is not running while leaving the keyfob inside it will sound the horn twice to let me know I forgot the fob. Once I exit the vehicle when not running and have the fob in my possession it will automatically lock and sound the horn once after 15 seconds.

All that is a neat idea but it comes with an emergency key that opens the rear hatch from a hidden key slot, that allows the driver to reach in and pull a manual cable to open the doors. If it was foolproof I guess there would be no need for an emergency key.  The battery went dead from a radar detector being left on for 4 days and it didnt have enough power to unlock the doors ....emergency key used...

All that sounds complicated and it took a bit of getting used to but now I forget to lock and unlock our Tahoe because I am so used to it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:37:20 PM by catblaster »
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

JFN

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »
Senior moment, I locked myself out of my truck in Cheyenne Wy, the phone inside, so I went to a close by Panda express and called DW who had the extra set. I walked back to the running truck and looking at the tailgate and I remembered I had hid a key, problem solved. So an extra set is ok if you remember you have it.
John & Connie Neal
2006 Dodge 2500 5.9, PacBrake
Smarty Jr Tuned
2006 KZ 29.5' Durango
MaxBrake, Brake Controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
K6JFN

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 09:09:39 PM »
True story. About 15 years ago, we had a Dodge Caravan with electric door locks. I went to the grocery store to buy something. I got out of the car, pushed down the lock button and closed the door. YUP, the keys were still in  the ignition.  I had to go to a pay phone (what's that) to call DW. She was 4 miles away. I went back to the car to wait for her. While standing there, another car drove in the parking lot and parked in the next row behind my row. A lady got out and while walking away, she locked her door with her remote.  I heard a mild sound coming from my car but didn't pay attention to it. Why should I. 10 minutes later, she came out and when she got close to her car, she clicked her remote to open her door and you guessed it. My door also unlocked. That will never happen again to me anyway.
AKA  Pep N Mem

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 09:46:53 PM »
DW locked herself out the vehicle and waited over an hour for roadside assistance. I later asked why she didn't use the hidden key, the look on her face was priceless. ;D We hid one after dumbdawg jumped on the door switch at a gas station.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 12:17:35 AM »
All my vehicles and my kids vehicles have a spare key wrapped in a plastic lunch bag and duct taped under the front bumper. Magnetic Metal boxes leak and fall off. Removing the Duct tape is a pain and my kids grumble about it but after climbing underneath and fighting to get it open they seem to remember better about paying attention as to where their keys are located.

Call 1-800-DAD better not be used to bring them a spare key which we keep at our house too.

On the three RV forums I'm on I'll see at least five times a year where someone has locked themselves out of their RV. 
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 06:08:26 AM »
I still don't know why folks post where they "hide" their spare keys. ::)
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Triple Slide Jayco

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 06:26:51 AM »
Dont carry them. Why have a hatch lock with key that is universal and everyone in the world can open it.?  I have a combination lock style on all of my hatchs and main door. i have my eye on a combination lock for my outdoor kitchen as well. Just my two cents
2016 Jayco TT Triple slide 33RBTS
2016 Chevy Tahoe

ramblinbob

• ---
    • Off The Wall & On The Road
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 06:35:05 AM »
I have a lock that the realtors use when selling homes. Accessible from outside RV but only with the combination and also it's attached to something unremovable. Spares hidden inside RV as well and toad has a spare hidden also.
2005 Born Free 24RB aka Momma C'
2010 Honda Element aka Ella B'

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 08:57:15 AM »
We always keep a key in a magnetic lock box. The type that has a combination lock, so it doesn't have to be hidden all that well. Ours was on the LP tank, which is accessible on most A & C type coaches.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Stor-A-Key-Locking-Key-Case-Charcoal-001859/202072799

Our current vehicle is keyless, using a Bluetooth remote that works as long as it is anywhere near the vehicle. A different class of "key" problem altogether.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 09:10:00 AM »
We always keep a key in a magnetic lock box. The type that has a combination lock, so it doesn't have to be hidden all that well. Ours was on the LP tank, which is accessible on most A & C type coaches.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Stor-A-Key-Locking-Key-Case-Charcoal-001859/202072799

Our current vehicle is keyless, using a Bluetooth remote that works as long as it is anywhere near the vehicle. A different class of "key" problem altogether.

I know in my case, if I needed to get into that lock box 6 months from now, I would have forgotten the combination.   :o :'( I just put a hook up high in the same compartment (unseen) and hooked the spare RV entry key there. Inside the RV, I have spare keys for everything.
AKA  Pep N Mem

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 09:46:54 AM »
First, Starting the car to "Warm it up" is not recommened by the manufacturers and in some cities (NOT THAT ONE) may actually be a violation of an ordance or two.. There is a "Current event" on Facebook about someone in, I think , Royal Oak, MI (Or one of the nearby suburbs of Detroit) who got ticketed for doing that. This is the area where you are most likely to find such an ordance, Several suburbs have one.

Second: Where are my spare keys
Motor home.. In a realtor's box in a place I know of that can not be locked, out of sight and out of mind and if you don't know the magic number.. It don't open.

Car: My car has 2 keys, Ignition/door  and Trunk glove box   I use a "Split" key ring.. Driving the small Ignition loop is in the lock.. The big heavy "Trunk" loop in my pocket.. 

The trunk has a set of OEM keys hiding in it.. well buried.. If you can get into the trunk, you can then open the door.. Works great..  I have a habit of locking the ignition key inside.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Punomatic

• ---
    • Life in Black and Blue
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 09:48:40 AM »
I keep a spare set of keys for the truck in the trailer and a spare set of keys for the trailer in the truck.
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier-gone to the rainbow bridge) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 10:06:07 AM »
Each of our cars has a complete set of keys in the glove box.  This includes the toad.  The coach has a spare ignition key, toad key and compartment keys in the coach near the driver area  The door keys for the coach are located in a magnetic box (also taped to the wall - learned from experience) located in the area of the propane tank which has a nonlockable door.  There is a shelf in the upper area of this compartment for things like wheel blocks etc.  Magnet box fits on interior part of outside wall out of any view by probers.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 5 months

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 11:16:07 AM »
We keep a spare key to the RV entrance door in a key safe that is mounted inside the propane bay.  The bay can not be locked.  The safe is small combination type.  Maybe large enough for 3 or 4 keys.  It's bolted through the floor of the bay with locking nuts on the inside of the safe.  It would take a pretty good whack with a hammer to break it loose.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

martin2340

• ---
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 11:39:55 AM »
I own 2 vehicles and both have keypads to punch in codes to open the doors. Just have to remember the codes but I do have them stored in my wallet which I never leave anywhere but my pocket.
Joe & Mari from Sanatoga PA
2010 F-150 Lariat 4X4 Heavy Duty Tow package(gone 7-17)
2017 F-250 Lariat 4X4 6.7 turbo diesel
2014 Sunset Trail 32rl
2002 Pearl White Road King Classic
Homebase: SE PA Sanatoga I can see the Limerick Power Plant from here

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 11:47:02 AM »
When we bought our TT 12 years ago, I put a set of keys in a magnetic box and put it on the TT frame.  I haven't got under there to look at it since.  I guess I should do that and see if it is still there.
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
First, Starting the car to "Warm it up" is not recommened by the manufacturers and in some cities (NOT THAT ONE) may actually be a violation of an ordance or two.. There is a "Current event" on Facebook about someone in, I think , Royal Oak, MI (Or one of the nearby suburbs of Detroit) who got ticketed for doing that. This is the area where you are most likely to find such an ordance, Several suburbs have one.

Second: Where are my spare keys
Motor home.. In a realtor's box in a place I know of that can not be locked, out of sight and out of mind and if you don't know the magic number.. It don't open.

Car: My car has 2 keys, Ignition/door  and Trunk glove box   I use a "Split" key ring.. Driving the small Ignition loop is in the lock.. The big heavy "Trunk" loop in my pocket.. 

The trunk has a set of OEM keys hiding in it.. well buried.. If you can get into the trunk, you can then open the door.. Works great..  I have a habit of locking the ignition key inside.
Michigan this last week changed the motor code because of that $$$ incident.  No longer applies to private property.   
Len & Jo
The Green Tardis
We 'B' RVing   Berkley, Michigan
Van Development:   https://youtu.be/5Xqk_G6k95M
12 Years of Travels:  https://youtu.be/UMIf17CzdZo

GA_Boy

• ---
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »
Not being rude, but I refuse to answer your question. ;)
Marvin

Old Radios

• ---
  • The Turtle - Our Harley Hauler
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 04:06:07 PM »
We keep our keys in the RV when we are around it and also have a full spare set of keys hidden inside the RV. If locked out there's a combination lock box attached through the steel bracket in the propane compartment that has a spare door/ignition key.
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Custom Toad
2015 Harley Softail Deluxe Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Patnsuzanne

• ---
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 05:04:12 PM »
We each carry a set of keys for the truck and trailer. I have a spare truck key duct taped to the shaft that lowers the spare tire. We haven't been locked out of the truck (yet) but we did break a key on the trailer door lock. Fortunately, our trailer has two doors and I was able to get in and disassemble the other lock from the inside to free it up.
2016 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab
5.7 V8
Equalizer WD hitch
Tekonsha P3
Venture Sporttrek 27RL

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 08:37:25 AM »
We keep an extra set of keys in a combo lockbox attached to the LP tank.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo w/ Ami the tiny co-pilot
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »
Our TOAD has Keyless Entry. We keep a spare set for the rig in it.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 09:41:03 AM »
Ever since we came upon an old man and his dog hanging out around his Winnebago just like mine at a roadside park in Montana and finding out he got locked out, I've carried my spare key on a lanyard around my neck.  The Mercedes key is a weird key that not just anyone can cut and Mercedes wants waaay too much for a replacement key.  My DW was carrying the spare key, but we realized it would not do any good locked in the RV in her purse.  If I can find a locksmith that can cut a Mercedes key and not have to include the fob, I'd hide one somewhere.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2017, 07:59:58 AM »
Ever since we came upon an old man and his dog hanging out around his Winnebago just like mine at a roadside park in Montana and finding out he got locked out, I've carried my spare key on a lanyard around my neck.  The Mercedes key is a weird key that not just anyone can cut and Mercedes wants waaay too much for a replacement key.  My DW was carrying the spare key, but we realized it would not do any good locked in the RV in her purse.  If I can find a locksmith that can cut a Mercedes key and not have to include the fob, I'd hide one somewhere.
Even tougher these days Tom are those keys that are just chips with no real blade (Chrysler).  You have to buy the whole shebang to duplicate and be prepared for an over $100 bill.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 5 months

Hosted by Over The Network