EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Where do you keep your keys??  (Read 1225 times)

catblaster

• ---
Re: Where do you keep your keys??
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
    One of the things I both like and dislike is the electronics on our C6 corvette.It detects the keyfob and unlocks the door so it can be opened, once opened it allows the passenger door to be opened. The doors only lock when the transmission is taken out of park and stays locked to the outside until the exit button is pushed. I can exit the vehicle when running with or without the keyfob but if I exit the vehicle and it is not running while leaving the keyfob inside it will sound the horn twice to let me know I forgot the fob. Once I exit the vehicle when not running and have the fob in my possession it will automatically lock and sound the horn once after 15 seconds.

All that is a neat idea but it comes with an emergency key that opens the rear hatch from a hidden key slot, that allows the driver to reach in and pull a manual cable to open the doors. If it was foolproof I guess there would be no need for an emergency key.  The battery went dead from a radar detector being left on for 4 days and it didnt have enough power to unlock the doors ....emergency key used...

All that sounds complicated and it took a bit of getting used to but now I forget to lock and unlock our Tahoe because I am so used to it.

As luck would have it or the lack of luck. I managed to lock the keys in the vette. I sat the keys inside the hatch while moving a container around and then shut the hatch.  I guess they didnt plan on that and neither did I  Now I need to find a place to hide the emergency key.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 01:09:52 PM »
I still don't know why folks post where they "hide" their spare keys. ::)

What are the odds of a bad guy finding you, then finding this thread, and putting the two together?
Pretty slim odds I would think.

My wife carries a complete set of keys, both truck and trailer.
I  like the idea posted above about leaving her trailer keys in the truck and her truck keys in the trailer.
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

Currently at work in King Cove, Alaska

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2017, 08:30:28 PM »
Thought about this thread today... we took a bunch of newspapers to be recycled today, and in the time it took to close the doors and head for the trunk, the dog had jumped on the button and locked the doors. My wife's keys were in her purse (now locked safely in the car), and fortunately, mine were in my hand.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2017, 07:20:20 AM »
My spare keys are "hidden" in my pocket. For both the motorhome and for the toad, I have a spare key on the same ring as my (stick) house keys. When I was young I locked myself out of the car a couple of times, so I've long since developed the habit of never locking the door, or even exiting, without the keys in my hand. When the engine goes off the keys come out. Of course it helps that this motorhome has a keyless entry, but I still find the "spare" keys handy at times, such as when home and parked with the keys in the house and I need to get into the cargo bays.

I tend to be a "belt and suspenders" guy.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Dvan

• ---
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2017, 09:12:28 AM »
I keep a full set in a lockbox
Daryll & Erin
2013 Thor Damon Daybreak 34BD bunkhouse
Parker, Colorado

1988 Jeep Wrangler toad with Stowmaster 5000 tow bar

Permanent campsite in Redhill Forest near Fairplay, CO

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2017, 11:43:17 AM »
Just remembered, maybe 10 years ago  AAA, as a service to members, made plastic keys for vehicles.  I got one for each of my two vehicles and kept them in my wallet.  Used them several times.  Great service and since they're just flat plastic keep very easily in the wallet.  They don't work the ignition, but at least allow entrance to the vehicle.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2017, 12:27:42 PM »
Just remembered, maybe 10 years ago  AAA, as a service to members, made plastic keys for vehicles.  I got one for each of my two vehicles and kept them in my wallet.  Used them several times.  Great service and since they're just flat plastic keep very easily in the wallet.  They don't work the ignition, but at least allow entrance to the vehicle.
When I retired from the Air Force I took up Locksmithing as a hobby. Took a couple of correspondence courses and started a small business.  I pretty much specialized in those plastic keys - made several hundred until I realized I was not in an area with enough population to make a go of the business.  Those keys worked well as long as it was a lock that did not require a lot of torque to turn.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 5 months

Hosted by Over The Network