Where do you keep your keys??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I own 2 vehicles and both have keypads to punch in codes to open the doors. Just have to remember the codes but I do have them stored in my wallet which I never leave anywhere but my pocket.

When we bought our TT 12 years ago, I put a set of keys in a magnetic box and put it on the TT frame.  I haven't got under there to look at it since.  I guess I should do that and see if it is still there.

John From Detroit said:
First, Starting the car to "Warm it up" is not recommened by the manufacturers and in some cities (NOT THAT ONE) may actually be a violation of an ordance or two.. There is a "Current event" on Facebook about someone in, I think , Royal Oak, MI (Or one of the nearby suburbs of Detroit) who got ticketed for doing that. This is the area where you are most likely to find such an ordance, Several suburbs have one.

Second: Where are my spare keys
Motor home.. In a realtor's box in a place I know of that can not be locked, out of sight and out of mind and if you don't know the magic number.. It don't open.

Car: My car has 2 keys, Ignition/door  and Trunk glove box  I use a "Split" key ring.. Driving the small Ignition loop is in the lock.. The big heavy "Trunk" loop in my pocket.. 

The trunk has a set of OEM keys hiding in it.. well buried.. If you can get into the trunk, you can then open the door.. Works great..  I have a habit of locking the ignition key inside.
Michigan this last week changed the motor code because of that $$$ incident.  No longer applies to private property. 

We keep our keys in the RV when we are around it and also have a full spare set of keys hidden inside the RV. If locked out there's a combination lock box attached through the steel bracket in the propane compartment that has a spare door/ignition key.

We each carry a set of keys for the truck and trailer. I have a spare truck key duct taped to the shaft that lowers the spare tire. We haven't been locked out of the truck (yet) but we did break a key on the trailer door lock. Fortunately, our trailer has two doors and I was able to get in and disassemble the other lock from the inside to free it up.

Ever since we came upon an old man and his dog hanging out around his Winnebago just like mine at a roadside park in Montana and finding out he got locked out, I've carried my spare key on a lanyard around my neck.  The Mercedes key is a weird key that not just anyone can cut and Mercedes wants waaay too much for a replacement key.  My DW was carrying the spare key, but we realized it would not do any good locked in the RV in her purse.  If I can find a locksmith that can cut a Mercedes key and not have to include the fob, I'd hide one somewhere.

Molaker said:
Ever since we came upon an old man and his dog hanging out around his Winnebago just like mine at a roadside park in Montana and finding out he got locked out, I've carried my spare key on a lanyard around my neck.  The Mercedes key is a weird key that not just anyone can cut and Mercedes wants waaay too much for a replacement key.  My DW was carrying the spare key, but we realized it would not do any good locked in the RV in her purse.  If I can find a locksmith that can cut a Mercedes key and not have to include the fob, I'd hide one somewhere.
Even tougher these days Tom are those keys that are just chips with no real blade (Chrysler).  You have to buy the whole shebang to duplicate and be prepared for an over $100 bill.

catblaster said:
    One of the things I both like and dislike is the electronics on our C6 corvette.It detects the keyfob and unlocks the door so it can be opened, once opened it allows the passenger door to be opened. The doors only lock when the transmission is taken out of park and stays locked to the outside until the exit button is pushed. I can exit the vehicle when running with or without the keyfob but if I exit the vehicle and it is not running while leaving the keyfob inside it will sound the horn twice to let me know I forgot the fob. Once I exit the vehicle when not running and have the fob in my possession it will automatically lock and sound the horn once after 15 seconds.

All that is a neat idea but it comes with an emergency key that opens the rear hatch from a hidden key slot, that allows the driver to reach in and pull a manual cable to open the doors. If it was foolproof I guess there would be no need for an emergency key.  The battery went dead from a radar detector being left on for 4 days and it didnt have enough power to unlock the doors ....emergency key used...

All that sounds complicated and it took a bit of getting used to but now I forget to lock and unlock our Tahoe because I am so used to it.

As luck would have it or the lack of luck. I managed to lock the keys in the vette. I sat the keys inside the hatch while moving a container around and then shut the hatch.  I guess they didnt plan on that and neither did I  Now I need to find a place to hide the emergency key.

kdbgoat said:
I still don't know why folks post where they "hide" their spare keys. ::)

What are the odds of a bad guy finding you, then finding this thread, and putting the two together?
Pretty slim odds I would think.

My wife carries a complete set of keys, both truck and trailer.
I  like the idea posted above about leaving her trailer keys in the truck and her truck keys in the trailer.

Thought about this thread today... we took a bunch of newspapers to be recycled today, and in the time it took to close the doors and head for the trunk, the dog had jumped on the button and locked the doors. My wife's keys were in her purse (now locked safely in the car), and fortunately, mine were in my hand.

My spare keys are "hidden" in my pocket. For both the motorhome and for the toad, I have a spare key on the same ring as my (stick) house keys. When I was young I locked myself out of the car a couple of times, so I've long since developed the habit of never locking the door, or even exiting, without the keys in my hand. When the engine goes off the keys come out. Of course it helps that this motorhome has a keyless entry, but I still find the "spare" keys handy at times, such as when home and parked with the keys in the house and I need to get into the cargo bays.

I tend to be a "belt and suspenders" guy.

Just remembered, maybe 10 years ago  AAA, as a service to members, made plastic keys for vehicles.  I got one for each of my two vehicles and kept them in my wallet.  Used them several times.  Great service and since they're just flat plastic keep very easily in the wallet.  They don't work the ignition, but at least allow entrance to the vehicle. 

garyb1st said:
Just remembered, maybe 10 years ago  AAA, as a service to members, made plastic keys for vehicles.  I got one for each of my two vehicles and kept them in my wallet.  Used them several times.  Great service and since they're just flat plastic keep very easily in the wallet.  They don't work the ignition, but at least allow entrance to the vehicle.
When I retired from the Air Force I took up Locksmithing as a hobby. Took a couple of correspondence courses and started a small business.  I pretty much specialized in those plastic keys - made several hundred until I realized I was not in an area with enough population to make a go of the business.  Those keys worked well as long as it was a lock that did not require a lot of torque to turn.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom