Seilerbird on LSD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kdbgoat said:
Good stuff there Tom! I do have a question though, what's that bass on the wall with the sideways pickup?
Thanks. That is not a pickup, it is a switch. It is the guitar that comes with the Beatles Rock Band game. When you strum you flip the switch with your right hand and push one of the buttons on the neck with your left hand.

Attachments

• the-beatles-rock-band-20090601004933183_640w_1252469296-000.jpg
    the-beatles-rock-band-20090601004933183_640w_1252469296-000.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 13
Cool! As you can tell, I'm not a gamer. It did have me pretty confused though, especially when I didn't see any strings either.
I'm glad posting on Google worked for you.

Tom said:
Aye, and I guess I'm just not a "good" string player, although I play 3 sizes of ukulele (2 different tunings), a banjo uke, a plectrum uke, a guitar and a 3/4 size guitar, just not very well  :-[  I also play very few tunes without a lead sheet; My ears tell me chord changes are coming, but I have no clue what they are, although I immediately know if I hit a correct or incorrect chord  ;D 
I don't consider myself a good string player either, just adequate. The good string players all spent their teenage years locked in their bedroom "woodshedding". Woodshedding is the act of locking yourself away and playing continuously until you had the instrument mastered. They became great guitarists but ended up with poor social skills and usually were not very good people on a personal level.

The good string players all spent their teenage years locked in their bedroom ...

That's what I always tell folks about good instrument players. When I was growing up, I'd knock on someone's door on Saturday morning and ask "is Johnnie (or Bill, or Fred) coming out?" Their respective Mom would always say "sorry, he's practicing piano all day today".

Woodshedding is the act of locking yourself away and playing continuously until you had the instrument mastered.

It has a different connotation in the Barbershop world; They use the term to refer to spontaneous informal vocal harmonizing by several singers of different parts. But I can see how it can be used in different contexts.

Tom said:
When I was growing up, I'd knock on someone's door on Saturday morning and ask "is Johnnie (or Bill, or Fred) coming out?" Their respective Mom would always say "sorry, he's practicing piano all day today".

You didn't get the hint as far as the real reason the mom said they couldn't come out.  :eek: ::) ;D :D  Read between the lines Tom. Who practices all day on a Saturday. Come on.  ;)

LOL Rene. I could usually hear them laboriously playing scales or playing through some sheet music. These are the kids who grew up to be 'naturally good' musicians who, unlike me, don't need to look at their keyboard or count out the notes.

Tom S, just curious - how is that bass uke tuned? Is it EADG?

Found the answer for Kala 4- and 5-string U-bass:

https://kalabrand.com/apps/help-center#!how-is-the-u-bass-tuned

Thanks. My baritone uke is tuned like the upper 4 strings on a guitar (DGBE). With my other ukes tuned GCEA, my plectrum banjo tuned CBGD and my guitars tuned EADGBE, this would be a real mind bender. I rely on muscle memory but if, for example, I've been playing a guitar most of the week, I occasionally find myself playing 'wrong' chords when I get to weekly ukulele practice  :-[ I need to quit playing guitar a week before our upcoming uke concert.

When I am at a meetup and they are playing a song I am not familiar with I get thrown when the sheet music only lists the chord name and not the picture. When it says D often times I play a G instead. No one else can hear I am wrong so it doesn't bother me. I have made a zillion mistakes on stage so I am used to it.

Few lead sheets I use, whether they belong to the band, my own arrangements, or ones shared by others at a meet, have chord diagrams. The only time we've used them is when there's a chord or two that band members have not seen or learned.

Funnily enough, I need to sing to be able to play. In the cases where, for example, our MD greys out lyrics on an instrument breakout, I add the lyrics back so I can at least sing to myself; Then I can play the tune.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

What is really bad is when there is both the chord name and diagram and I still get it wrong. However I was listening to some Beatles live songs this afternoon and it is amazing how many mistakes they made. Of course no monitors and screaming fans makes playing even more difficult. John was so bad at remembering lyrics, especially in 1965 right after they discovered pot.

The funny thing is he was always bad at remembering lyrics. Some of the early songs have some lyrical errors. But in 1965 he got really bad at remembering lyrics and I did not put two and two together until recently. Especially Help. He never even came close to getting it right. Then on the rooftop concert in the film Let It Be he had a guy holding up lyrics printed out for him. He was wearing his glasses for the concert so he could see the lyrics.

Attachments

• 2013-1-30-beatles_rooftop_concert_2-533x326.jpg
    2013-1-30-beatles_rooftop_concert_2-533x326.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 10
Thank you for posting that Tom.

Enjoyed it.  And I learned something about the Beatles and John Lennon.  He could write lyrics, just couldn't remember them when performing!

Ron

hoddinron said:
Thank you for posting that Tom.

Enjoyed it.  And I learned something about the Beatles and John Lennon.  He could write lyrics, just couldn't remember them when performing!

Ron
Thanks Ron. Here is a typical Lennon performance in 1965. He only screws up the lyrics twice in one song.

https://youtu.be/yWP6Qki8mWc

Interesting. I wonder how many folks in the audience caught his goofs, or even cared. I suspect that many were screaming too loud to even hear. I suppose that, if you're a Beatle, you can get away with a lot of this stuff.

At one of our concerts, one of the guitarists had a vocal solo, backed by the band, and he forgot the lyrics to one of the verses. I immediately realized and started singing. I wasn't mic'd, but my booming voice carried, and the entire band joined in singing the song. The soloist kept playing his guitar. I have no idea how it sounded to the audience, but they enthusiastically applauded at the end. Maybe they were being polite, but nobody boo'd  ;D

Back
Top Bottom