Eclipse Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackInAZ

Was looking forward to the once-in-a-lifetime total solar eclipse August 21 and had planned on heading to Oregon where the spectacular enters the US; but, unfortunately I seem to be a little late.  All campgrounds appear to be full and even with long waiting lists.  Dry camping seems equally impossible.  Anyone have possible solutions along the path of totality?

There are a few websites that post the track of the eclipse. You need to be as directly below it as possible, as close enough doesn't count.

You do know the eclipse lasts for less than 2 minutes right?

We will be seeing it in South Carolina

JackInAZ said:
Was looking forward to the once-in-a-lifetime total solar eclipse August 21 and had planned on heading to Oregon where the spectacular enters the US; but, unfortunately I seem to be a little late.  All campgrounds appear to be full and even with long waiting lists.  Dry camping seems equally impossible.  Anyone have possible solutions along the path of totality?
There are many hundreds, if not thousands, of boondocking spots in Oregon, Idaho and Wyoming on NF & BLM land.  Plan on arriving in the NF or BLM area about week before the eclipse, find a spot and get set up for the eclipse. 

That is what we are doing.  One difference is we will be driving through the area in June so we will research where we are going to boondock.  We will still arrive about a week early to get set up. 

If you are looking to go camping in Oregon there is a place in the full eclipse zone that is allowing campers and tents. The website is at www.campingtheeclipse.com

If you go to Oregon though I would say make sure to stay east of the Cascades because west of them it gets a lot of rain.

We are booked into a hunters camp with electric hookup only near the center of the path of totality (a few hundred yards from centerline) in eastern Wyoming near Douglas, we are also planning on doing Yellowstone the week before the eclipse and have 3 nights booked in the park at 3 different campgrounds (the only openings we could find when we booked reservations in January). 

The location where we are booked is called Manter;s Camp it will have 2 min 27 seconds of totality and according to their web page they still have sites available, price is a little steep at $125 per night for electric only, but considering they are probably adding in extra electric only hookups for the eclipse its not too bad.  (update, they are full now)

p.s. the city of Douglas WY has an interactive map of people offering dry camping, cabins, tent spaces, etc.  Some are asking insane rates (I saw one at $600 per night), others are more reasonable, I don't know about availability though

http://www.cityofdouglas.org/index.aspx?NID=297

I think boondocking is the only option at this point. We are staying in Idaho at Silver Creek campground (FS) north of Challis quite a way and made our reservations in February. Much easier to boondock in the West of course. You might also want to check out Forest Service camp grounds near the totality regularly to see if they have a cancelled reservation.  I have some other acquaintances who are also camping there, and there have been a few messages about campsites opening up. You might get lucky. 

If anyone following this is still looking, I found out that the Fort Laramie Bed and Breakfast in Fort Laramie, Wyoming (not to be confused with Laramie) still has dry camping available on their ranch, but not at the B&B with limited food vending, porta potties, etc priced at $300 for 3 days.  There will also be a historical reenactment going on nearby that weekend.  Also Hidden Valley Campground on a large hunting ranch in Arnold, Nebraska currently has dry camping available at a much lower price , and may be added more electric only sites, they will know in the next week or two, but have a waiting list.  This also looks like a nice family place with canoe and kayak rentals, etc.

Back
Top Bottom