EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Eclipse Camping  (Read 451 times)

JackInAZ

• ---
Eclipse Camping
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »
Was looking forward to the once-in-a-lifetime total solar eclipse August 21 and had planned on heading to Oregon where the spectacular enters the US; but, unfortunately I seem to be a little late.  All campgrounds appear to be full and even with long waiting lists.  Dry camping seems equally impossible.  Anyone have possible solutions along the path of totality?

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Eclipse Camping
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:52:50 AM »
I am going to stay about 100 miles from the center then get up in the morning and drive there.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

Houston Remodeler

• ---
    • Our website
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:33:45 PM »
There are a few websites that post the track of the eclipse. You need to be as directly below it as possible, as close enough doesn't count.

You do know the eclipse lasts for less than 2 minutes right?

We will be seeing it in South Carolina
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 4x4 SRW
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells
www.CabotAndRowe.com

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »
Was looking forward to the once-in-a-lifetime total solar eclipse August 21 and had planned on heading to Oregon where the spectacular enters the US; but, unfortunately I seem to be a little late.  All campgrounds appear to be full and even with long waiting lists.  Dry camping seems equally impossible.  Anyone have possible solutions along the path of totality?
There are many hundreds, if not thousands, of boondocking spots in Oregon, Idaho and Wyoming on NF & BLM land.  Plan on arriving in the NF or BLM area about week before the eclipse, find a spot and get set up for the eclipse. 

That is what we are doing.  One difference is we will be driving through the area in June so we will research where we are going to boondock.  We will still arrive about a week early to get set up. 
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

ryanb99

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 08:07:26 PM »
If you are looking to go camping in Oregon there is a place in the full eclipse zone that is allowing campers and tents. The website is at www.campingtheeclipse.com

If you go to Oregon though I would say make sure to stay east of the Cascades because west of them it gets a lot of rain.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 01:41:59 AM »
We are booked into a hunters camp with electric hookup only near the center of the path of totality (a few hundred yards from centerline) in eastern Wyoming near Douglas, we are also planning on doing Yellowstone the week before the eclipse and have 3 nights booked in the park at 3 different campgrounds (the only openings we could find when we booked reservations in January). 

The location where we are booked is called Manter;s Camp it will have 2 min 27 seconds of totality and according to their web page they still have sites available, price is a little steep at $125 per night for electric only, but considering they are probably adding in extra electric only hookups for the eclipse its not too bad.  (update, they are full now)

p.s. the city of Douglas WY has an interactive map of people offering dry camping, cabins, tent spaces, etc.  Some are asking insane rates (I saw one at $600 per night), others are more reasonable, I don't know about availability though

http://www.cityofdouglas.org/index.aspx?NID=297
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:13:08 PM by Isaac-1 »
2002 Safari Trek 2830

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 09:24:29 AM »
I think boondocking is the only option at this point. We are staying in Idaho at Silver Creek campground (FS) north of Challis quite a way and made our reservations in February. Much easier to boondock in the West of course. You might also want to check out Forest Service camp grounds near the totality regularly to see if they have a cancelled reservation.  I have some other acquaintances who are also camping there, and there have been a few messages about campsites opening up. You might get lucky. 
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 03:23:27 PM »
If anyone following this is still looking, I found out that the Fort Laramie Bed and Breakfast in Fort Laramie, Wyoming (not to be confused with Laramie) still has dry camping available on their ranch, but not at the B&B with limited food vending, porta potties, etc priced at $300 for 3 days.  There will also be a historical reenactment going on nearby that weekend.  Also Hidden Valley Campground on a large hunting ranch in Arnold, Nebraska currently has dry camping available at a much lower price , and may be added more electric only sites, they will know in the next week or two, but have a waiting list.  This also looks like a nice family place with canoe and kayak rentals, etc.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

supermanotorious

• ---
    • Phoenix Winch LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 03:31:48 PM »
I have a friend with a large ranch in that area, she is willing to rent you space. PM me for details.
Home is Phoenix, AZ
2008 Skyline Freestyle M-240 Way-Lite
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna FXDX
2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 8.1L 496ci 4x4
1994 Four Winns Freedom
various quads, off-road gokarts, mini bikes
Phoenix Winch wakeboard winches

Hosted by Over The Network