Would you pay additional for good internet access in an RV Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not for me I wouldn't pay extra, I come equipped, I don't want to rely on a "casual connection " but others may.
So far every place I have been has a good Verizon signal ....I also have a grandfathered Sprint internet so between the 2...the parks doesn't offer any speed now if you do not limit the bandwidth then I will be open to paying for the service. What does FCC know broadband can get to symmetrical 100meg.

Fact is anymore, decent WIFI is a prerequisite to be a RV Park of any consequence...kinda like hookups, showers and other amenities.  Most know this and have tried to offer some service for no extra charge.  Speed often depends of the ISP and more and more are offering 50-100 Mbps as fiber optic systems and cable service gets deployed.  Then it will depend on how many users are involved.  If the RV Park wants to charge extra, lots of us will just go to a better RV Park or boondock like many have mentioned using a cell phone hotspot.  ATT offers "unlimited" LTE /4G data for  $20/mo now... they'd have to beat that for sure to even advertise WIFI service.

I would have to say it depends on the site rental. Many parks today the site is over$50.00 a night and up.. For that they shoudl provide high speed wi-fi.. Some parks it's 30 or less. some less than 20.. NO wi-fi. I'd pay extra. 

Internet access if very important to us, so to insure we have internet access we have a Verizon Jetpack, and/or use the hotspot feature on our phones. 

So to directly answer your question with a YES or NO.  NO we would not pay extra for internet in an RV Park.  Especially since many times the internet in the park doesn't work all the time. 

I used to travel the country for work. If you want to be a hotel in the US you have good wifi.  If they charged for wifi I went someplace else. I have not changed. A good park has all the stuff people want and its built into the rent for the space. Charging for what you already have in place is just digging. Its already calculated in the lot rent.

So, no I would not pay for wifi, my Motorhome is mobile, that is the cool part about it. I don't need to stay there. I don't think its any different that charging extra for clean bathrooms or level lots.

In the couple of years we have been RVing, we have NEVER had a good wifi connection in a park, no matter how expensive it has been.  We have tried a wifi booster, which was a total waste of money.  I am considering upgrading my cellular plan to something unlimited and using my phone as a hotspot, or getting a Mobley device, but I don't know what the advantage of that would be.  We only check email, surf the internet and use social media.  No games or movie or music downloading.  So NO, I would not pay any additional for good internet access in an RV Park.  I have done that and it has turned out not to be true.

I would easily pay an extra $5-10 a night if  wifi was good enough to stream HD shows from my apple tv with no buffering. I would need proof before payment. I recently saw on a park's website "Free High Speed Internet!!!*" the * was "within proximity of the office"  ::)

Doubtful since I carry a nice collection of ripped movies and recorded tv shows, or I'll just read a book. Sometimes I'll share (via Wifi Ranger atop van) movies with another computer savvy RV'er.

Also carry Raspberry Pi - Retro Game Console for those rainy days, combined with alcohol & sleep, think I'm covered. 

I never use open wifi networks in restaurants, motels, campgrounds, etc. for security reasons.

The ATT Mobley has worked great for us. Before Mobley I relied on Verizon cell phone service.

Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom