EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Would you pay additional for good internet access in an RV Park  (Read 794 times)

Wigpro

• ---
    • Capt Jim Lucas
Would you pay an additional daily or weekly fee for high speed unlimited internet access in an RV park and if so what would be fair??

Thanks,

Jim
Full time traveler, fishing guide and photographer!

Travel Blog: http://captjimtravelblog.blogspot.com

Photo Site: http://captjim.smugmug.com/

Gizmo

• ---
Re: Would you pay additional for good internet access in an RV Park
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 02:16:23 PM »
No probably not since WiFi is not all that important to me while traveling, I relish getting away and not being connected. 
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
Probably not - I enjoy being disconnected or barely connected while camping. Now, had you asked me 5 years ago when Kim was taking online classes, then I would have said yes. Sitting at a picnic table at the store/office for hours on end was not her idea of relaxing!
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L gasser
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Massmerch

• ---
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »
I would pay a couple dollars more, but that's my limit.
Randy
2005 Itasca Horizon 40 KD
2016 Jeep Unlimited
Hesperia, Ca.

Buckeye4692002

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 02:42:46 PM »
It would depend on what you define as "good", and what kind of cellular reception is in the area. 
If we're talking about $2 per day for the ability to stream video, then yes.  But, if (like most places) we're talking about $5 - $10 for dial-up speeds, no. 
Basically, if you can be faster / cheaper than my hot-spot and I were working, I'd consider it.
Though I would say, all things equal, I'd pick 1 park over another if it had wifi.
2009 Damon Daybreak 3370

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 03:35:20 PM »
Only if the park was in an absolutely dead AT&T and Verizon cell phone signal area. Our onboard cell based Internet services are typically much better than even the premium WiFi pay services at those parks that offer it.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

blw2

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
It would depend on what you define as "good", and what kind of cellular reception is in the area. 
If we're talking about $2 per day for the ability to stream video, then yes.  But, if (like most places) we're talking about $5 - $10 for dial-up speeds, no. 
Basically, if you can be faster / cheaper than my hot-spot and I were working, I'd consider it.
Though I would say, all things equal, I'd pick 1 park over another if it had wifi.

exactly.
I'm thinking of one SP we stayed in...zero cell reception and almost zero TV reception.  Someplace like that & I would have paid if it was reasonable price that enabled streaming.  I probably would have even paid a lesser amount, like maybe a dollar a day or so, if it wasn't streaming just so that I could have had some form of emergency communication.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 04:22:32 PM »
Since there have been a few places I have paid to get what they called "good internet" that was truly terrible, I am quite skeptical. If it was streaming quality, I would pay a few dollars a day. If it is barely enough to read a forum or do email, no way. I have mostly abandoned the use of park internet completely and use my phone hot spot.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 05:55:28 PM »
Probably not because we use our own Verizon connection - unless cell service was really bad or nonexistent.  Then we might depending on how much we wanted to access the internet.  We don't stream so we're interested more in email and checking our sites like the RV Forum.  Our experience over the years has been that campground wifi hasn't been all that good.  Very few have knowledgeable people who set up the system and unless you're right next to the wifi antenna the signal can be pretty poor.  There's also the security issue if you want to access things like bank accounts.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 07:13:55 PM »
I would be willing to pay a couple dollars more for adequate access, and expect a refund when it turns out not to be the case.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 08:12:01 PM »
I have. but frankly I do not think it is worth it. I might consider 1.00/day or 15/month.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 06:29:48 AM »
I think that carrying your own cellular modem/hotspot is a form of "paying extra" for internet.   If I didn't have that available, I would probably pay a modest extra fee for "good" internet, if it was indeed good and not the usual crap that is offered in too many campgrounds.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Triple Slide Jayco

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 06:38:31 AM »
Yes, downloading free music to play while relaxing or for the kids games at night. Why not.?
2016 Jayco TT Triple slide 33RBTS
2016 Chevy Tahoe

BoonDocker Bob

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 08:13:24 AM »
 ::)   Don't think so....   THAT'S just ONE of the many reasons why I go boondocking and NOT to campgrounds .
To get away from it ALL ...   ::)

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 08:24:35 AM »
I'm already paying dearly for a cellular hotspot, which is the only way I can work and be gone for extended periods of time.
When I retire, I'm leaving the computers at home. Enough already. But I'm not going to use campground wifi and have a coffee break between mouse clicks.....
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 08:29:57 AM »
I would be willing to pay a couple dollars more for adequate access, and expect a refund when it turns out not to be the case.
Me too.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo w/ Ami the tiny co-pilot
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 08:42:08 AM »
You have to define "High Speed Internet"
Some providers still think that "High Speed Internet is "Faster than Dial-up"
The bar has been raised in the last decade. Anything slower than 20 mbps, in my book is not "High Speed Internet"
I would pay extra if I can get a reliably fast connection and play Halo, or CoD, or SWTOR while my wife watches Netflix.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »
The FCC currently defines "broadband Internet" as a minimum 25Mbps download speed and 1-3Mbps up.
Dutch

knowmatic

• ---
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 06:18:59 PM »
I would pay quite a bit for reliable, high-speed internet as I run a business while in my RV.

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 08:30:53 PM »
With unlimited data AT&T and Verizon hotspots on board at $25/month, a park would have to offer a really good deal on their Internet service plan for me to even consider it.
Dutch

Willandgiselarv

• ---
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 09:52:45 PM »
Not for me I wouldn't pay extra, I come equipped, I don't want to rely on a "casual connection " but others may.
So far every place I have been has a good Verizon signal ....I also have a grandfathered Sprint internet so between the 2...the parks doesn't offer any speed now if you do not limit the bandwidth then I will be open to paying for the service. What does FCC know broadband can get to symmetrical 100meg.
2004 GB. Bellagio 38ft  3126E Allison 3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 10:04:41 PM »
Fact is anymore, decent WIFI is a prerequisite to be a RV Park of any consequence...kinda like hookups, showers and other amenities.  Most know this and have tried to offer some service for no extra charge.  Speed often depends of the ISP and more and more are offering 50-100 Mbps as fiber optic systems and cable service gets deployed.  Then it will depend on how many users are involved.  If the RV Park wants to charge extra, lots of us will just go to a better RV Park or boondock like many have mentioned using a cell phone hotspot.  ATT offers "unlimited" LTE /4G data for  $20/mo now... they'd have to beat that for sure to even advertise WIFI service.
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

kwbush

• ---
  • South Jersey
    • The Buschs of Ruscombmanor Township and beyond...
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 05:58:49 AM »

(:(

Sorry things are already too expensive!  :'(

Keith
Keith & Laraine Bush

2005 Fleetwood Prowler 270FQS
1995 Chevy Silverado C2500

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.    Mark Twain

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 06:42:48 AM »
I would have to say it depends on the site rental. Many parks today the site is over$50.00 a night and up.. For that they shoudl provide high speed wi-fi.. Some parks it's 30 or less. some less than 20.. NO wi-fi. I'd pay extra.   
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 09:42:42 AM »
Internet access if very important to us, so to insure we have internet access we have a Verizon Jetpack, and/or use the hotspot feature on our phones.   

So to directly answer your question with a YES or NO.  NO we would not pay extra for internet in an RV Park.  Especially since many times the internet in the park doesn't work all the time. 
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

satxron

• ---
  • 2000 Tiffin Allegro
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 10:00:40 AM »
I used to travel the country for work. If you want to be a hotel in the US you have good wifi.  If they charged for wifi I went someplace else. I have not changed. A good park has all the stuff people want and its built into the rent for the space. Charging for what you already have in place is just digging. Its already calculated in the lot rent.

So, no I would not pay for wifi, my Motorhome is mobile, that is the cool part about it. I don't need to stay there. I don't think its any different that charging extra for clean bathrooms or level lots.
San Antonio Texas
Little old class A packed with lots of fun.

Hosted by Over The Network