Converter Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terrykemm

I have a 1996 Winnebago 34' Adventure. I had to replace the converter due to the muffin fan not working and it charring the floor due to heat. Purchased the WFCO-9800 series replacement. The problem with the new unit is that it does not charge the batteries. I have gone thu the wiring several times to make sure it was wired correctly. All the voltage reading match up with what the operator manual specifies. Searched thru the forums here and didn't see any message pertaining to this. Does anybody have a rig similar to mine and has replaced the original converted with a WFCO? If so what wiring returns a charge to maintain the batteries?

Thanks
Terry

Check the voltage at the DC output of the converter and then at the batteries. It should be the same and about 13.6 VDC or more.

Some have fuses on the side of the converter protecting it in case someone hooks up the battery cables wrong.

The WFCO does indeed have the reverse polarity protection that Rene mentioned, so that's the first thing to check. Two fuses on the back, next to the battery wires.

You stated that the voltages match the spec. If that includes the voltage present at the battery wire terminals on the converter, then the battery will be charged. Can you explain further what voltages you checked, and how you concluded the battery is not being charged? And which battery(s) we are talking about?  You will have one chassis battery and probably one or two house batteries. The chassis battery will not be charged by the converter unless the original Winnebago system has been modified to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom