Starting our 5th Wheel Research

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butchiiii

Hi everyone, the wife and I are starting to do our research for our next trailer about 4 years from now.
We are looking at some Montana 5th wheels and the specs seem a bit confusing to me. Everything
I've read here says that the pin weight of the 5th is 20 to 25% but the factory specs seem misleading.
Maybe someone can enlighten me as I am seeking guidance. See the spec attached for a Montana
3730FL unit.
Shipping Weight 13170
Carrying Capacity 3500
Hitch 2670
Length 39' 8"
Height 13' 5"
Fresh Water 66
Waste Water 39
Gray Water 78
LPG 60
Tire Size ST235/80R16G
The pin weight of 2670 seems rather light to me. Please help me here.
Thanks

The factory pin weight is not for a loaded trailer. Typically it is for a "dry" (empty) trailer as it leaves the factory with no options.

For planning purposes, assume the pin weight will be at least 20% of full load, i.e. 20% of GVWR. If GVWR is not stated, 20% of Dry or Shipping Weight + Carrying Capacity.

Like Gary said.  That pin weight listed there is about 21% of the factory shipped weight.  So it is right in the ball park that it should be.  You will never pull the trailer at that weight other than maybe home from the dealer.  Even then if they fill the LP tanks and add batteries and such it will already be going up.

While technically correct, the first 3 numbers are virtually worthless in the real world.  The shipping wt + CCC = 16,700#, which is probably very close to the GVWR.  Your real world, when loaded pin wt will be much closer to 3400# or more.

One requirement for pin / hitch wt is that the rated axle capacity + pin / hitch wt  MUST meet or exceed GVWR.  This sometimes generates strange numbers.  These specs are more for meeting legal requirements than for providing useful information.

The other specs for tire size, height, LP capacity, etc. can be helpful, but not the weights!

Okay so I should use the GVWR and calculate 20% or there about for the pin weight. Is this correct?

Figure 20% of your trailers GVWR will be riding on your rear axle. Then add your hitch, passengers and anything going in the bed of your truck. You will probably be looking at 3,800 to 4,000 lbs. DRW territory or close to it.
Can't have too much truck.

Stan

Okay we were looking at the Ram 3500 SRW specs and it list a payload cap of 4500lbs so this would be close
to the max yes? That would leave about 1100 lbs for hitch and wife and myself and a few goodies. Would prefer
a SRW instead of a DRW.

That sounds OK, but be careful because Payload on a specific truck can go down really fast with some cab and trim options.  Always double-check the Payload and Tow Rating if you start looking at a different truck, even if the difference in truck configuration seems trivial. And check the actual Payload placard on the door jamb rather than relying on the brochure or web page estimator.

^^  X2  ^^

That 4500 payload cap is likely for a BARE BONES regular cab work truck.  A crew cab will deduct 400# or more.  Higher trims can deduct another 500# or more.  4X4 will deduct another 200#.

Before buying ANY truck, check the yellow label on the driver door latch post for the ACTUAL payload for THAT truck as it left the factory.

Remember, Payload or CCC must include all passengers, all cargo, the weight of the FW hitch and the pin wt of the FW.  I understand the desire for a SRW.  That is what I have.  However, it does limit the size of the FW you can pull.  The Montana is a beautiful camper, but you will be pushing the weight capacity awfully hard!  And YES, use the GVWR in your calculations.  If the actual weight is a bit lower, it becomes a small safety margin.

butchiiii said:
Okay we were looking at the Ram 3500 SRW specs and it list a payload cap of 4500lbs so this would be close
to the max yes? That would leave about 1100 lbs for hitch and wife and myself and a few goodies. Would prefer
a SRW instead of a DRW.

I have been researching current generation Ram 3500s and included in their carrying capacity is 200lbs for a hitch and 300lbs for driver + passenger. Apparently all the current HD trucks do that now.

Thanks grashley. I checked that and the specs were for a crew cab long box. It doesn't state what
level trim though so I will take it into account.

Lynx0849 said:
I have been researching current generation Ram 3500s and included in their carrying capacity is 200lbs for a hitch and 300lbs for driver + passenger. Apparently all the current HD trucks do that now.
Thank you Lynx0849. I was not aware of the hitch and driver being included in the CCC. All of the numbers seem so confusing.

Attachments

• 2017_ram_3500_towing_charts.pdf
    0 bytes · Views: 2
Lynx0849 said:

NOT QUITE TRUE!!

This is one more way the factory information gets confusing.

IF you are looking at max tow rating, then this is correct, but it does NOT include the weight of options and assumes NO CARGO OR ADDED PASSENGER WEIGHT.

IF you are looking at Payload, or CCC from factory charts, it includes a full tank of fuel, no options, no passengers, no hitch, nothing!

IF you are looking at the Yellow Label on the vehicle, it states the max carrying capacity of the vehicle as it left the factory, including factory installed options, a full tank of fuel, and NOTHING ELSE.  The weight of all passengers, cargo, hitches and hitch weight must be included in this number.

This Yellow Label on the truck is the best source for payload information, other than getting the truck to the sale yourself.

Back
Top Bottom